1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Recommended Maintenance Costs @ Toyota Dealer

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by mjvr2c, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Mar 26, 2020 at 8:39 AM
    mjvr2c

mjvr2c [OP] Going Places!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Elizabethtown PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD 4.6
    Accessorized NOT Modified: Raptor Running Boards, Extang EnCore Tonneau Cover, LineX Spray-In Bed Liner, EGR Hood/Bug Deflector & Window Vents, Husky Rubber All-Weather Floor Matts.
    My dealer has recommended three service maintenance concerns. One i think is flat out BS. The other two I buy, but question the cost.
    I own a 2016 SR5 Dbl Cab. 4.6L V8, TRD, 4x4, Tow Package.
    104,000 miles.
    Garage Kept, Great Care, Great Shape, Never an issue.
    About to take a long trip. Had some routine things done. Tire Rotation, Oil Change, Coolant Flush & Fill.

1. New Lug Nuts $500.00 I Took Advantage of a FREE offer @ Toyota for a Multi-Point Inspection: In checking the breaks...Lug Nuts are swollen! Needed a different size socket to pull the tires? Never heard of it! My Costco Tires are rotated every 5000, NO PROBLEM. upon my inspection the lugs look GREAT! I was told that "in the event of a roadside flat, my emergency lug wrench may not fit". I'm thinking BULL SHIT! So, now I question the other recommendations as well...

2. Spark Plug Change, recommended at 100K, $225.00?

3. Transfer Case & Differential Fluid Change $200.00?

I would love some input here.

Thanks, Mike

Rica25 likes this.
  2. Mar 26, 2020 at 8:41 AM
    14burrito

14burrito IG @14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Check the wrench and see if it fits.

Plugs aren't a bad thing to do.

At $200 for a 4x4 service, they are NOT using the proper transfer case fluid.

Rica25, AZBoatHauler and Luckydog like this.
  3. Mar 26, 2020 at 8:44 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    Costs are high but I concur with the spark plug and fluid changes. Those are due at your mileage for sure. The lug nuts...I have never heard such a thing. Only thing I have ever seen happen to lug nuts- chrome ones and fit and rust and need replacement.

Check the lug wrench yourself and see it if fits. Even if they do need replacement for some reason (and I cant understand why) it should not cost 500.

Now are you sure they said lug nuts....vs the studs? It could be possible for the studs to degraded depending on the location you live- heavy weather, salt, etc. And replacing those would take some time where I could see a dealer charging 500 for that.

4. Mar 30, 2020 at 1:46 PM
    Peter0326

Peter0326 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 TSS OFF ROAD
    2" leveling kit Retrax MX PRO
    I have a 2014 2wd with the 4.6 engine. I declined to do the recommended 120k service the other day which included the following: replace spark plugs, lubricate propeller shaft, re-torque propeller shaft bolt, and a whole lot of inspecting... Cost was going to be about $250-300 for all of that without taking into account a 15% service coupon which I have. Think it's wise to go ahead and do it all even though I'm not having any issues? Just went with the oil & filter change so I could think about it. I'm at 119,100 as of today.

I ran into a similar experience with the lug nuts the first time I tried to rotate the tires myself. Apparently they were recalled for my year model but either the previous owner never tried to do it himself and/or dealers were happy with tearing them apart every time they replaced the tires - bought it with 60k miles. My tire iron would not fit - they were too large - so I had to buy 16 nuts (already had 4 wheel locks) but thankfully the parts guy sold them to me for about $40 altogether.. think they are normally $15 or so a piece.

5. Mar 30, 2020 at 3:25 PM
    Makoy339

Makoy339 Simplicity = Reliability !!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Super White TRD
    TRD parts
    $500 for a set of lug nuts? :eek2:
    That comes out to $25 a piece... DAMN !!! Highway Robbery!:spy:

Rica25 likes this.
  6. Mar 30, 2020 at 8:11 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Not saying any of your lug nuts are actually swollen, but that is what happens when impact wrenches are used for tire rotation. Toyota lug nuts are carbon steel covered with a thin shell veneer of stainless steel sheet. Impact wrenches tend to pound the thin stainless covering against the steel lug nut until it thins and distorts.

Free maintenance coupons are intended to get you positioned where they can sell you maintenance services that may not be needed. If you don't want to pay the prices, you're stuck with (1) finding a cheaper source, or (2) DIY.

Rica25 likes this.
  7. Mar 30, 2020 at 9:25 PM
    Rica25

Rica25 Got Bam? IG ......@TNDRA08

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricardo
    Tulare
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White Tundra/14 Cement FJ
    TRD sway bar...addictive audio sub woofer.....Volant intake.....Black Rhino Glamis wheels....Billstein adjustable shocks
    The same thing happened to my wifes 2005 Camry about 2 yrs ago the lug nuts swelled up and couldn't get them off . I tried myself as well and could not. So I ordered new ones

14burrito likes this.
  8. Mar 30, 2020 at 9:26 PM
    Rica25

Rica25 Got Bam? IG ......@TNDRA08

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricardo
    Tulare
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White Tundra/14 Cement FJ
    TRD sway bar...addictive audio sub woofer.....Volant intake.....Black Rhino Glamis wheels....Billstein adjustable shocks
    Spark plugs I do all my self. Diff i pay my coworker to do it. But it's very simple. Just need a pump for the fluid

Products Discussed in

To Top