1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reception on AM side of radio has diminished

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by rltarr, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Nov 16, 2019 at 6:01 PM
    rltarr

rltarr [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra
    The AM side of my radio doesn't have as good reception as it used to. No static, just doesn't pick up stations like it used to.
    The AM stations that I can receive come in but very weak. FM side works great, so I'm not thinking antenna or cable.

There is one oddity. When the outdoor temperature goes below 35 degrees the radio works great. Weird huh. I guess I could move to Alaska. Ha!

Anyone out there have any resolve?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Nov 16, 2019 at 6:05 PM
    rltarr

rltarr [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra
    Well, I do. We have a local station that plays classic country. My other favorite is on FM and it plays... Classic Rock. So there ya go!

Sunnier, OR18TRD and Bob like this.
  3. Nov 16, 2019 at 6:06 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    Am sucked in my gen 1 too. Just do podcasts on your phone. 100% more convenient

OR18TRD likes this.
  4. Nov 16, 2019 at 6:34 PM
    rltarr

rltarr [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra
    Oh you didn't bother me. Thanks for the info. That will be helpful if in fact, it is my antenna. I think the first thing I'm going to do is pull the unit out of the dash and check all the connections, power, ground and antenna cable. Have to start somewhere.

OR18TRD likes this.
  5. Nov 16, 2019 at 6:49 PM
    rltarr

rltarr [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra
    I have been 'looking' but I would really like to keep my truck as original as possible. I have considered maybe installing one with back up camera, but I'm not sold on anything I've seen yet. I'm picky as hell. I purchased this Tundra brand new in 2006 and have taken extremely good care of it. I'd like to keep it forever. Other than the routine and mandatory maintenance, I have had no problems with it, other than this minor radio issue. It still has the original struts and shocks AND BRAKE PADS. I can't get over the longevity. My (Toyota only) mechanic keeps tabs on these every time I bring it in for service and he keeps telling me that they are still good. I don't abuse my vehicles and I guess it pays.

OR18TRD likes this.
  6. Nov 16, 2019 at 6:54 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    Single din stereos are super cheap, around $80 new with any color you want and all sorts of bells and whistles, in case you decide you do want to try the Podcasts thing down the road. Adding my vote to replacing it because, for all the dinking around you do with antennas, you could do that a new radio under $100.

That said, do you have access to another vehicle you could drive for a day or two? Routes and places you typically drive. See if that one gets AM reception. I’m suggesting this because if the FCC has required the lessening of transmission power for the a.m. station you love, there will be very little you can do to your truck that will increase reception. Just a thought. I worked at a telecom company many years ago, just long enough to know that changes is completely “different” technology can effect changes in anything that requires “bandwidth”. Long shot, but maybe as easy as calling the station to ask.

OR18TRD[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Nov 16, 2019 at 7:02 PM
    rltarr

rltarr [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra
    Yep. Last month I bought my wife a brand new Camry XLE, so I've got it all in her car to listen to. The issue isn't with the radio station broadcast antenna or location. It's diffidently in my unit somewhere. I just can't figure out why FM side comes in great and not the AM side. AND, that AM seems to work great when outdoor temps drop to 35 or below. I'm starting to think a loose ground wire, and expansion/contraction of the metal connection from hot to cold temps.

Sunnier likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top