1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reasons to trade in my 2015 F-150 3.5 Eco for 2018 Tundra TSS

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by SuaveRC, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Dec 10, 2017 at 10:51 AM
    SuaveRC

SuaveRC [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm new to these forums and wanted a little help. My 3.5 eco gets really good gas mileage, like 18 mpg in this congested city. I've read the best the 5.7 gets is 17. That torque I have is amazing and never have issues getting my truck up to speed when needed, but I'm still slowly falling for this tundra. Couple concerns for me is there is no room to store anything under the back seat with that bumps protruding out which means you can sit with your feet right under you. Another is the dash and touch screen area seems a little out of date compared to the f-150. But the exterior of the tundra is amazing.
    Anyways, I'd appreciate everybody's reasons why they chose the tundra, why they would leave the f150 or keep it.
    Thanks!

Prostar 190 likes this.
  2. Dec 10, 2017 at 11:02 AM
    Prostar 190

Prostar 190 SSEM #9 I would rather be water skiing

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 CrewMax limited 4X4
    6" lift 35" Toyo M/T
    I would leave the dare Say it fffford because it's a Ford and buy the Tundra because of the reliability and resale if nothing else. Also a Tundra Rock's:rimshot::rockband::rockband::rockband:

Law323, Black Wolf, geno0506 and 3 others like this.
  3. Dec 10, 2017 at 11:12 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    The Tundras touch screen is perhaps out of date and the sound system could use some help. But at least there's no fake exhaust sound piped through the sound system. There's an aftermarket storage container made for beneath the back seat of the crewmax. As far as getting your feet directly under you, I don't think the hump gets in the way but I'm not 100% sure 'cause I'm never back there.
    The Tundras claim to fame is reliability. I've NEVER been stranded by my Tundra (been driving 'em since 2000) I was stranded multiple times by my Fords, traded in my Bronco (after 3 transmissions) for my first Tundra and never looked back. Just sayin...

4. Dec 10, 2017 at 11:13 AM
    Marty McFly

Marty McFly Nobody calls me chicken!! Except when off roading

Member:
    First Name:
    Morty McBoonJug
    McBoonJug = McDonald’s and Moonshine in a Jug
    Vehicle:
    2016 StormTrooper Tundra CrewMax TRD PRO
    This pretty much sums it up. Toyotas can be the most basic truck but they will last forever. Fords go to hell once you reach 100k miles. Gas sucks, storage sucks, radio sucks, but I know it won't break down on me. Toyotas all day long :yay:

5. Dec 10, 2017 at 11:14 AM
    SuaveRC

SuaveRC [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'll say this, y'all's sound system sounds way better than Ford's.
    I'll look into that aftermarket storage

Marty McFly likes this.
  6. Dec 10, 2017 at 11:16 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    Here ya go: https://www.esptruck.com/ I think this guy is a forum member here too.

SuaveRC[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  7. Dec 10, 2017 at 11:21 AM
    Marty McFly

Marty McFly Nobody calls me chicken!! Except when off roading

Member:
    First Name:
    Morty McBoonJug
    McBoonJug = McDonald’s and Moonshine in a Jug
    Vehicle:
    2016 StormTrooper Tundra CrewMax TRD PRO
    I'm just going to go ahead leave this for ya :D
    Eco boost can suck it lol

image.jpg

8. Dec 10, 2017 at 3:20 PM
    757TUNDRA

757TUNDRA Not a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Red Metallic Platinum 4x4
    OEM Bed Cover, OEM Bed Rail System, OEM Bedmat, OEM Doorsill Protectors, OEM TRD Rear Sway Bar, OEM Color Matched Door Handles, OEM Color Matched Mirror Caps, OEM Bed Net, OEM Driver Side Grab Handle, BFG K02 LT275/60/20, WeatherTech Digifit FloorLiners, Salex OCD Console Organizer, Salex Console Tray
    Welcome! The F-150 will beat the Tundra on gas mileage all day long. I drive conservatively and my overall average is around 15.5. I usually average close to 18 on the highway but the 4.30 diffs make it hard to get better mileage. I think the ecoboost is great for city driving but my big issue with it would be towing my camper. My buddy has one and his turbos are spooling like crazy when he's hooked up to his. That can't be good long term. You can't beat the Tundra's reliability (especially the '18 ... just rated at an 85 by CR whereas the F-150 was somewhere in the mid-50's) and looks, but Ford has us beat on all the electronic bells and whistles. That doesn't bother me, I'm not really into all of the whiz-bang features ... just something else to break. That's probably why their CR rating was so low. Yesterday I was hauling two buddies around (both own F-150s) and they quickly fell in love with my Tundra ... they couldn't believe the room and power it had. I chose the Tundra for looks and styling, reliability, resale value, power, interior space, etc. My last seven vehicles have been Toyota and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  9. Dec 10, 2017 at 3:23 PM
    Mr Swervlin

Mr Swervlin "Yes....In Dee Face"

Member:
    O H I O
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Sky limited TRD Crewmax
    Line X bed liner Window tint AVS in channel vent visors Paint protection wrap Husky front & rear floor liner ESP Crewmax rear storage Console organizer and tray TRD shift knob TRD rear sway bar Thule exporter pro 500 Color matched door handles, side mirrors, and grill surround VLEDs interior/reverse/cargo Driver side grab handle 10" BAmuffler Trd pro headlights
    If your seriously worried about gas then keep the F@%d. These Tundras do suck gas. I keep a trailer attached to mine about 90% of the time so I know but, I'm also averaging about 14 miles per gallon which isn't so bad for pulling a trailer. + the Crew Max rear window rolls all the way down( mic drop) Good luck with your choice

10. Dec 10, 2017 at 5:25 PM
    Tundra9831

Tundra9831 New Member

Member:
    I had a 2015 Ford 3.5 ecoboost and now have a 2018 Tundra limited. I appreciate that the Tundra feels more solid, should have better reliability and resale. I like the sound of the dual TRD exhaust better. The bed of the truck feels more solid than the creaking aluminum. I like the looks of the Tundra way better. I like my 18" TRD wheels better than the 20" Ford wheels. I like the fact that the Tundra uses an engine and transmission that have been around a long time and have proven reliability. Turbos aren't great for the type of driving I do. I like the stance of the Tundra better....looks tougher stock. I had a 2012 Ford Raptor and 2015 Ford F150 and there were lots of little things that bugged me. I think Fords look good on paper when comparing specs, but in the real world I think Toyota is more reliable, solid, and better resale. I'm rambling, but sell the Ford and buy a Tundra....I know I'm glad I did.

11. Dec 10, 2017 at 5:36 PM
    Baja Mike

Baja Mike Baja Aficionado

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Bay, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD 4x4 SR5 white
    LED interior lights, Baja Designs foglights, Baja Designs S8 hood bulge light bar, LED bed lights, Baja Designs S8 amber bar in bumper on Rago Fab mounts, AMP Research bedstep, Switch Pros sp-9100, tinted door windows
  12. Dec 10, 2017 at 5:36 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Welcome from Colorado. ESP storage solves that problem. I got a 3” lift with 35s and averaging between 13-14.

Audio and technology is dated, but less is more for me. Less fancy gadgets less chances of something breaking IMO.

Good luck.

13. Dec 10, 2017 at 5:40 PM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADER,RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    If ya get one.....

get it in MGM color...THE..only color :benchpress:

14. Dec 10, 2017 at 6:44 PM
    blue16

blue16 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    Mesa AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 tundra
    Welcome from AZ. I drive a 2013 ford f150 2 wheel drive for work. It had 400 miles on it when I started driving it now it has 76,000 thousand and climbing it has the 3.5 liter and 6 speed trans. Right around 40,000 thousand miles the brakes went out due to a brake master cylinder and booster failure. That could have ended in a very bad way but it did not thankfully. About two weeks after it got replaced ford did a recall on them and the company got their repair money back from ford. That has been the only major repair so far.
    Like others have said the ford will get better gas millage it does have a few things that my tundra does not. Like one touch up and down drivers window, day time running lights and one touch turn signals all of which I really like and did not even think about when I bought the tundra. But at the end of the day I bought the Tundra and love it. I wouldn't trade it for a ford or a chevy or anything else in the half ton market.

TXMiamiFan and Prostar 190 like this.
  15. Dec 10, 2017 at 6:45 PM
    boloson

boloson New Member

Member:
    My bro owns a 2016 f150 lariat. Gadget wise it's more advance compared to my 14 platinum like its heated rear seats, leds inside/ out, navi, etc but that's minor stuff that can be changed & the navi does get me to where I need to go. His led headlights have auto high beams & he gets flashed all the time. His rear seats are thin unlike the tundra's plush couches. My only gripe is the lack of storage

SuaveRC[OP] and blue16 like this.
  16. Dec 10, 2017 at 8:53 PM
    Stuffs

Stuffs New Member

Member:
    I guess the best calling card would be reliability. The Tundra's drive train is old, tried and trued. You can same with the Coyote drivetrain but since you have the Eco, I think you'll appreciate the peace of mind reliability.
    My BIL owns a shop, makes a very nice living fixing Fords and he said its the Ecoboost engines that keeps him busy. He drives a Tundra himself which to me atleast, says a lot since he can basically buy whatever truck he wants.

With that said, I wish the Tundra had a dash more like the F150.

SuaveRC[OP] and big_jarv like this.
  17. Dec 10, 2017 at 10:27 PM
    big_jarv

big_jarv New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    I can't speak for the Ford, but as others have said the head unit and underseat storage are easily changed out.

In regards to MPGs, they suck. I have a 4X4 crewmax 5.7 bone stock and I see anywhere from 11-13 city. Freeway I can up to 18.

Apart from that I think you'll be very happy with a Tundra and have no regrets.

15whtrd likes this.
  18. Dec 11, 2017 at 3:36 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Because it is a Ford and sooner or later you will be F.O.R.D.

SuaveRC[OP] likes this.
  19. Dec 11, 2017 at 4:04 AM
    aperezsh

aperezsh Blessed are the peacemakers

Member:
    First Name:
    Ali
    cal-exit landed in GA
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra SR5 4x4 Crew Max Magnetic Gray Metallic
    A little this and that...Broke now

What he said...word

20. Dec 11, 2017 at 5:01 AM
    ZPMAN

ZPMAN 2nd place is the 1st looser

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Platinum Supercharged
    4" lift, 35s, Magnuson Supercharger
    SuaveRC< (SPY) get back in your black helicopter and tell Mr. Ford to suck a fat dog's ass. F150 is the most recalled vehicle of all time lol.

SuaveRC[OP] and Prostar 190 like this.
  21. Dec 11, 2017 at 5:02 AM
    f86sabjf

f86sabjf New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra trd off-road
    I owned a 2014 f150 5.0 and a 2016 2.7 . Personally I like the ride better on the Tundra . The ford is definitely more blingy.
    The biggest gripe I have is lack of rear seat storage. This shouldn’t be a problem on a truck that cost this much. Gas mileage I avg 16.5 . Smooth and reliable is what I’m looking for and the main reason I went to Toyota.

SuaveRC[OP] likes this.
  22. Dec 11, 2017 at 6:32 AM
    BOBONTUESDAY

BOBONTUESDAY Grocery Getter

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited Trd
    It's a reliable truck, it won't leave me stranded out in some fields. Only reason why I went tundra. I could care less what electronic wizardry it has. I'd rather have a truck that won't break down than have one with stuff I can play with while the tow truck driver shows up.

23. Dec 11, 2017 at 7:34 AM
    Tundrazy

Tundrazy Turd Bro

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    '17 CM Cement PRO
    My brother (long time Toyota guy) got caught up with all the glittery wizbangs and doodads of the F150 and traded his '10 SR5 for a loaded '17 F150 Lariat 3.5 eco. I'll have to admit, his truck is one of the more badarse looking trucks I have seen. Anyway, at 3,000 miles we took a trip down to Moab, Ut. As he was parked in the driveway of our condo I glanced under his truck and noticed a nice little oil puddle. As the oil was black as night I automatically assumed it was from a previous guest and paid no more attention to it. Well, as the weekend progressed we were surprised to see the puddle under his truck growing. We decided to investigate and much to our dismay it was coming from his brand new Lariat. Once back in SLC he took it to back to the dealer and low and behold he needed a new oil pan. Now, it is concerning that it would need a new oil pan after so few miles, but the look and condition of the oil was what had me the most alarmed. Needless to say he is beginning to second guess his decision to stray from his trusted brand. I give him one year before he is back in a 4th gen Tundra.

SuaveRC[OP] likes this.
  24. Dec 11, 2017 at 8:04 AM
    TundraTss

TundraTss The Mistress

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD SR5
    Everything. Literally.
    Tundra for the win

Marty McFly[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Dec 11, 2017 at 8:20 AM
    Blazin_Blue16

Blazin_Blue16 Huh??

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Wells, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited CM Blazin' Blue Pearl
    I made the choice of the Tundra over the Eco F150 for the same reasons these guys have already outlined when I picked up mine. I love my truck, just get a good tonneau cover and you're storage problem is solved! If the inner city stop and go power you're afraid of losing, test drive one and put it in tow haul mode. It'll make you giggle.

Sunnier, Mr Swervlin and TundraTss like this.
  26. Dec 11, 2017 at 8:41 AM
    fisherman951

fisherman951 MT dreams

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 crewmax 4x4
    Tundra doors dont fly off like fords. Just saying

Sunnier, TundraTss and Prostar 190 like this.
  27. Dec 11, 2017 at 9:16 AM
    nshipp

nshipp New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Metallic Gray Tundra TRD Off Road
    33" KO2s, Tint, ESP Seat Storage
    I've had 2 F-150s. No problem with the first one, but my last 2015 F-150 went through 2 transfers cases and 2 driveshafts, along with other annoying issues within 25k miles. Ford could never fix the issue nor was willing to help me out with a permanent fix, they left me in the cold still under warrenty. I took my losses and switched over to the 2017 Tundra. I will say the Tundra lacks a lot of features and storage that the F-150 had and mpg is awful. However, I feel a lot more secure with the build quality and reliability so far plus a great sound system helps. I only have 4k miles on my current Tundra, but it rides and handles much better than the F-150 did. As far as storage goes, I installed the under seat storage by ESPTruck, it gave me the extra space needed. See pics.
    IMG_0963.jpg Photo Aug 18, 7 29 32 PM.jpg Photo Aug 18, 7 45 08 PM.jpg Photo Aug 18, 7 57 14 PM.jpg

TruckLife900, SuaveRC[OP] and ZPMAN like this.
  28. Dec 11, 2017 at 9:41 AM
    MrWrench

MrWrench New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra limited
    Spray on bed liner, Bak mx4
    If you search the ecoboost engine on the web, you find several problems that seem to be common on the 3.5 engine. There is a ford tech on YouTube who makes videos detailing problems with the ecoboost engines.
    I have been turning wrenches for over 12 years, over 90 percent is on class 8 trucks. One thing I have seen is that the more complex you make something, the more it fails and the repair bills go higher. That’s what I love about the 5.7 in the yota. Just uses variable valve timing. No fancy turbocharging or plumbing for turbo. Just my 2 cents

29. Dec 11, 2017 at 10:46 AM
    SocaliTundra958

SocaliTundra958 New Member

Member:
    Temecula
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CREWMAX TUNDRA
    stock
    I was actually in that scenario a few weeks ago, I had the choice of either a brand new 2018 5.7 v8 4x4 tundra or a 2017 3.5 eco boost fx4 new as well, both were having great deals for Black Friday week. I was really close to purchasing the ford just because of customer service, but decided to try out a different Toyota dealer to compare the ford to, I have to say that the f150 really has the all the bells and whistles and really felt like a car driving it. The truck purchase for me was to replace my old Mercedes that has given me nothing but headache and felt like a money pit. So after realizing that my Mercedes had all the high tech equipment and being fancy reminded me of the f150, I just couldn’t go back and go that same route, the fancier the truck, the more things break and everything seems to fall apart. So I chose the reliability route and have just been upgrading parts to my taste which I would of done with the f150 anyways.

30. Dec 12, 2017 at 4:24 AM
    SuaveRC

SuaveRC [OP] New Member

Member:
    Someone mentioned this to me too and I like this idea. Any reason why Toyota would even have this box under the seat to take away from storage? Is it for better safety?

I'm leaning more and more towards the tundra. Maybe by this weekend I may have one. Just trying to figure out what my monthly payments will be. I won't have much to put down and I think what I owe vs how much my Ford is worth is about $1500. From ford they quoted me $24,000.00. Maybe I can get Toyota to offer more

Products Discussed in

To Top