1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear View Trailer Camera

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by Ruggybuggy, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Jun 25, 2021 at 8:12 AM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy [OP] Seasoned Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    I'm looking for a rearview camera that I can attach to the back of my TT that is wireless. I would like the camera display to mount to my existing mirror and be easily removed when not in use. I know there are some car units that will accomplish this but will they be able to connect to the camera that is mounted 30' apart? Suggestions?

I'm currently using a Garmin set up that sits on my console but the camera display is very wide angled so this appear very small.

2. Jun 25, 2021 at 9:28 AM
    onesojourner

onesojourner Here, let me derail that for you

Member:
    SW MO
    Vehicle:
    06 DBLcab LTD 4x4
    I am looking for a camera that would work as a review mirror. Is that you are after?

Ruggybuggy[OP] likes this.
  3. Jun 25, 2021 at 9:37 AM
    Dsptundra

Dsptundra Still a new member...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Austin TX Area
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver Limited CM
    Husky X-act, front windows tint, Xpel PPF, center console organizer and tray, TRD rear sway bar, touch screen cover, transmission cooler, wireless charger, keyless tailgate lock.
    I bought the Furrion Vision S 7” model (there is a 4.3 and 5” model as well). My trailer was prewired for the camera so it was plug and play. However, if not prewired you can just tap power from your high center lights on your trailer. The wireless connection works great but I do notice a slight delay.

I use the suction mount that came with the unit and stick it so it is just under my regular rear view mirror and it is not too bad. I’ve looked for a way to put it over the existing mirror but have come up empty so far.

Here is a quick photo of it mounted to the windshield. Wire connects to the 12v cigarette lighter port.

3D68B429-FB35-4EE1-801E-7D3FECF28F28.jpg

onesojourner likes this.
  4. Jun 25, 2021 at 9:44 AM
    Ruggybuggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    Exactly, since my rear view mirror is pointless when towing ot would be nice to have a camera there showing what's behind the trailer.

5. Jun 25, 2021 at 9:45 AM
    Ruggybuggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    I was hoping for something that would sit over the existing mirror.

6. Jun 25, 2021 at 9:53 AM
    Dsptundra

Dsptundra Still a new member...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Austin TX Area
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver Limited CM
    Husky X-act, front windows tint, Xpel PPF, center console organizer and tray, TRD rear sway bar, touch screen cover, transmission cooler, wireless charger, keyless tailgate lock.
    Yep, totally get it. I’m still looking for a solution as I would like that as well.

7. Jun 25, 2021 at 10:22 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
  8. Jun 25, 2021 at 10:32 AM
    SchnauzerMan

SchnauzerMan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 CM 4x4
    Sumo Struts, Tiger Steps, Bed Rug, Undercover Flex Hard Folding Tonneau Cover
    Many people complain about the wireless cameras being unreliable, not to mention very expensive. I mounted a car backup camera on my TT and ran the cable through the frame to the hitch. I ran another cable from the truck HU to the hitch, so I can connect them quickly when towing. There are kits to add camera(s) to the stock Tundra HU. If you have an aftermarket it's even easier. More reliable and much, much cheaper.

TundraPHX and TundraTex like this.
  9. Jun 25, 2021 at 11:30 AM
    Ruggybuggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    On currently using a Garmin gps that has the optional wireless camera. I've had no problems with connecting. I'm just not happy with the size of the display and the location in the truck.

10. Mar 3, 2022 at 2:39 PM
    102dalz

102dalz New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra CrewMax White
    None
    You can do this through the HU using a FRAC adapter...offered by a lister here. Best mod I ever put in my Tundra.
    With a video switcher you can have several cameras for your Tundra.

11. Mar 3, 2022 at 4:40 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    Where do you buy this "FRAC adapter" that you speak of? I googled it and got some drilling and well head adaptors.

12. Mar 3, 2022 at 4:56 PM
    APalmTree

APalmTree 4x4 SKEPTIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    SW Washington
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad White Crewmax 5.7L
    1 or 2... I lost count
    I wired up one of these for my parents trailer. https://www.haloview.com/haloview-wireless-rearview-observation-mirror-dashcam-mc10.html - Completely plug and play if you have the prewire for a furrion or other unit. The width of the mirror makes the camera aspect ratio really weird and doesn't let you see a lot but it does work. They have a short trailer, just over 21 ft but it picks right up and doesn't seem to lose connection YMMV. Haloview does sell just the mirror/monitor piece but I don't know if you can pair that with the camera you already have, that's above my paygrade.

13. Mar 3, 2022 at 5:13 PM
    shawn474

shawn474 Lego connoisseur

Member:
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tundra crew max TRD Off Road
    contact @TundraTex

14. Mar 3, 2022 at 5:33 PM
    ZPMAN

ZPMAN 2nd place is the 1st looser

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Platinum Supercharged
    4" lift, 35s, Magnuson Supercharger
    Phoenix android has this https://phoenixautomotiveins.com/co...iew-camera-and-car-dvd-player-parking-monitor
    And you might need this https://phoenixautomotiveins.com/co...ar-camera-automatic-control-module-switch-box
    to use your stock HU.
    Also if i had time to drive my truck i would order one of these or similar.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MVXD3ZN

15. Mar 3, 2022 at 5:37 PM
    Mobeyk

Mobeyk New Member

Member:
    Oshawa Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra TRD pro, 2018 SR5
    Vland headlights, LED fogs, Rough country lower bumper LED bar, third light switch to LED, ICL ceramic coating, hood fender
    I am installing this right now https://www.anytimebackupcamera.com
    He has a 4 in 1 video switcher where you can hook up to 4 cameras to display on your head unit or separate monitor.
    I bought an extra rear camera as I don't want to see all the time my trailer hitch in the back, so ill mount that rear camera where the third break light is and I can see over my dump trailer. Im using this switcher
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/165163020923
    Here dash camera mirror mounts:
    ref=sr_1_9

ref=sr_1_6
    Have seen this too that I bet you can adapt to mount your screen on just taking off your rear view mirror and using this:
    oem-rear-view-mirror-back-plate-panel-mirror-dash-cam-mount-arm-for-car-dvr-instead-of-strap

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. Mar 4, 2022 at 3:31 AM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    There's a guy in my campground that just bought something along the lines of what you want. When I see him I'll ask and post back. Should be later this afternoon.

17. Mar 4, 2022 at 5:33 AM
    Ruggybuggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    No worries. I came up with a solution that works very well. The thread was started last summer. I found a rear view mirror overlay and a wireless camera that work very well.

18. Mar 5, 2022 at 7:50 AM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    @Ruggybuggy, Check out the website www.FRACharness.com

19. Mar 6, 2022 at 10:09 AM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    Jim LE 1301 likes this.
  20. Mar 6, 2022 at 10:16 AM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
  21. Mar 6, 2022 at 10:21 AM
    16MagSR5

16MagSR5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buffalo
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic SR5, leveled and capped
    Boost tow Mirrors, TRD rear sway, Rough Country Duals, Bilstein 5100's, diff breather mod, more that I'm forgetting...
    So what did you end up getting/doing?

22. Mar 6, 2022 at 2:37 PM
    KK6PD

KK6PD 2 1 yr. retired . . . after 42 yrs

Member:
    First Name:
    ROAD
    Upper Los Angeles Foothills
    Vehicle:
    2003 AC Tundra . . . . 7th owner
    New Tires, Stereo & Speakers,Uni-Strut Tie Down Continue watching THIS SPACE FOR FUTURE DEVELOPMENTS
    So I'm guessing you have this wired to a external monitor? Or, this goes to your factory HU display, if so, is it wired so truck backup camera to the "Master" input, and your trailer camera to the "Slavor" input? I'm assuming from their instructions ..." it will switch to slaver one automatically if master signal is not available." ....since the OEM backup cam only powers up when in reverse, the "Slavor" input of your trailer cam being always on will auto switch putting the video to the output of the switcher. How do you switch the display monitor to the backup camera screen to watch the trailer camera without going into reverse???
    Or does the OEM HU have a AUX in ???
    CONFUSED????

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  23. Mar 6, 2022 at 3:43 PM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    @KK6PD, the OEM tailgate camera is always powered on when the ignition is on. When you shift into reverse, there is a signal that tells the Head Unit to go to camera display mode. Since the camera is always on, it doesn’t have to warm up and the video is instantly displayed on the head unit screen until you shift out of reverse. At which time the head unit goes back to normal display mode. That’s why I don’t like using the “intelligent” switchers.

24. Mar 6, 2022 at 4:15 PM
    SchnauzerMan

SchnauzerMan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 CM 4x4
    Sumo Struts, Tiger Steps, Bed Rug, Undercover Flex Hard Folding Tonneau Cover
    I have one of the 4 to 1 intelligent switchers. It can be used manually or set up to switch to the backup camera when put in reverse. As long as you hook it up correctly, it will switch to the backup camera when you put it in reverse.

25. Mar 6, 2022 at 4:42 PM
    Mobeyk

Mobeyk New Member

Member:
    Oshawa Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    Vland headlights, LED fogs, Rough country lower bumper LED bar, third light switch to LED, ICL ceramic coating, hood fender
    I didn't want to loose space with a extra screen . All is displayed on your head unit. With the FRAC harness you have front and rear camera. Rear camera is usually the OEM rear camera. I installed a second rear camera ( set as master ). The video switch unit has the OEM back camera as slaver. OEM Camera is always powered and when I activate a seperate switch it turns the second back camera on and overrides the OEM Camera. It would override it even if I put the truck in reverse if the seperate switch is activated.
    So basically I can see front with FRAC switch set at front, OEM rear when set switch at Rear and extra switch turned off. The extra switch is to override the OEM back camera when the FRAC switch is on rear. The rear camera I installed sits below the third brake light and gives me the view of the bed and anything beyond in the back.
    You could use the video switcher to override the front camera instead of the OEM back but it would be of no benefit.
    So if you put that extra rear camera on a travel trailer and hook it into video switcher as master and turn on the extra switch ( giving master power so it has priority over slave ) you can see everything behind the trailer backing up when in reverse. Once the extra switch is turned off ( master turned off ) the OEM camera is as the slaver the only rear camera working.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    KK6PD[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. Mar 6, 2022 at 4:59 PM
    KK6PD

KK6PD 2 1 yr. retired . . . after 42 yrs

Member:
    First Name:
    ROAD
    Upper Los Angeles Foothills
    Vehicle:
    2003 AC Tundra . . . . 7th owner
    New Tires, Stereo & Speakers,Uni-Strut Tie Down Continue watching THIS SPACE FOR FUTURE DEVELOPMENTS
    OK, I just checked out the FRAC Harness... very cool. That makes things easy!

27. Mar 6, 2022 at 5:42 PM
    Mobeyk

Mobeyk New Member

Member:
    Oshawa Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    What you mean with intelligent switcher? The video switcher switches between cameras depending on who has priority when powered on. You switch one off the other one displays. Of course you won't power off the OEM camera, so you set the 2nd rear camera as master and it only displays if it gets power over an extra switch that you have to activate. Only thing that I had to be careful of was marking my wires as you have plenty of wires running that will confuse you if not labeled. Im waiting for the 3 switch panel made by @abomb60 so I can have the FRAC switch and the extra rear camera switch right behind the shifter. The third switch will be the seat heater switch that I will move from the center console underneath the climate control unit.

28. Mar 6, 2022 at 6:55 PM
    hundytundy

hundytundy New Member

Member:
    Very cool, I'll order as soon as it's ready so I can switch between Front, OEM Rear, and Master Rear located on my bumper to give a better view of my hitch :·)

29. Mar 6, 2022 at 7:54 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    I ended up getting a mirror overlay and wireless camera from Amazon for around $80. It was meant for a vehicle and not a truck/trailer combination. There was no specified maximum distance that the camera and mirror could be apart. I figured I would give it a try and if it didn't work I would send it back. I plugged the mirror into the 12V acc in the truck and power the camera from a small 12V lawn battery. The mirror instantly displayed the image from the camera. My wife sat in the truck and I walk straight back from the truck to see what distance it would reach. After about 80ft it was still working. I installed the camera on my 24" TT and have used it over the last year without issues. I checked Amazon so I could post the link but it's no longer showing. I'll check the box for the manufacturer at the end of March when I get home.

30. Mar 7, 2022 at 4:49 PM
    16MagSR5

16MagSR5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buffalo
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic SR5, leveled and capped
    Boost tow Mirrors, TRD rear sway, Rough Country Duals, Bilstein 5100's, diff breather mod, more that I'm forgetting...
    I'd definitely be interested in the manufacturer. Thanks for the update.

Products Discussed in

To Top