1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Bumper nudge turns into Fender-Bender

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by mambo143, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Nov 1, 2019 at 4:03 PM
    mambo143

mambo143 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD Crewmax
    Bilstein 6112, 5160, Coachbuilder 1” shackle lift, Wildpeak A3’s, LED backup, Maxiplus mats, Bak Rollover Mx4, BedRug, Westin HD Headache Rack. Westin HD Brush Guard, Spidertrax 1.5 spacers. TRD Brakes. Headlight Revolution LED. TRD rear Torsion Bar. Dirty Deeds 10 inch Stainless. TRD Pro Grill. Bushwhacker Pocket Flares. Baja Designs Combo Driving/Fog lights.
    This is nothing remarkable about this post beyond my ramble about how a seemingly small amount of damage from a fender-bender can explode in cost. Monitors feel free to pull the post
    A young lady hit my rear bumper in traffic on the highway a few weeks back and I brought the truck in for repairs at a highly recommended local shop.
    I am impressed because, the owner, originally estimated the cost at about 2k but said, we will do it right and get it like new and if we run into something we send pics and work it out with the insurance company.
    The bumper is pushed in maybe an inch or more on the right, the tailgate gap and bed is squeezed maybe 1/8 inch, but there is a telltale scrape on both and a small buckle in the right panel. At the time, the owner/appraiser for the shop said it was probably pushed in causing the scrape, and bounced back to where it is.
    When apart, they discover a slight deformity beneath the tail light assembly and a break in a weld that connects the outer bed panel to the inner panel and say they won’t be satisfied with the repair and ordered a whole new side panel. Cost is now up to 4K.
    Dang, the other drivers insurance is on the hook for it. So now they will paint the whole rear of the truck. And paint/install my blackout badges to match and remove the TRD overlays (my nickel)
    Meanwhile, the rental is a black TITAN . Well, more like a tater-tot.
    The Truck still looks good with the short bed-less back end.
    I have nothing good nor bad to say about the titan, other than it smells funny and I less bored pushing a shopping cart

6C7FA742-EC22-4E1D-9B70-9953072780D1.jpgD52AC6F2-4622-4745-A396-F2AC3D7CFFF0.jpg CBB8D087-9A7F-4CDD-ABA7-BCD9620A8F91.jpg 022226D2-9951-45C0-A842-9D668C715FAC.jpg

NE_WARRIOR and Black Wolf like this.
  2. Nov 1, 2019 at 4:24 PM
    db52282

db52282 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Tundra Limited
    Sorry this happened to you. Probably a driver on the phone or texting.

I had a Titan (ordered it new) and couldn't wait to get rid of it. Was a total POS and the dealer wouldn't take care of the problems.

Glad I am in a Tundra.

Black Wolf likes this.
  3. Nov 1, 2019 at 5:27 PM
    Mrpgfernandez

Mrpgfernandez New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pristine
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Crewmax
    Man I’m sorry this happened to you and your beautiful truck. I hate it when someone rear ends someone. My sister fiancé is a police officer for Culver City Ca. He always tells me there is no such thing as an accident. It’s just people who don’t pay attention!!!!! Then that person or there victim ends up paying the consequences. I remember when someone hit my truck back in 2010. Person who hit me was drunk. I had to call 911 on myself and tell the operator to please hurry cuz I’m about to beat the living crap out of this person. Operator told me to stay in my truck and talked to me till I calmed down and CHP arrived. Person was very lucky cuz I love my truck with all of my heart. It took me 4 yrs to save up and pay it in full. And it was totaled in one hit. I’m a gun owner. Returning from shooting range that day. It took so much not to get my gun and shoot that person dead.

mambo143[OP] likes this.
  4. Nov 1, 2019 at 5:31 PM
    gears_call

gears_call New Member

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    King 2.5's l Method double standards l 35" BFG KO2 l SS Built front bumper/skid/valence l more to come....
    Seems to always be the way with accidents. Start at one price then just double or triple it to your end price

mambo143[OP] likes this.
  5. Nov 1, 2019 at 7:00 PM
    mambo143

mambo143 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD Crewmax
    Bilstein 6112, 5160, Coachbuilder 1” shackle lift, Wildpeak A3’s, LED backup, Maxiplus mats, Bak Rollover Mx4, BedRug, Westin HD Headache Rack. Westin HD Brush Guard, Spidertrax 1.5 spacers. TRD Brakes. Headlight Revolution LED. TRD rear Torsion Bar. Dirty Deeds 10 inch Stainless. TRD Pro Grill. Bushwhacker Pocket Flares. Baja Designs Combo Driving/Fog lights.
    Da
    Dang! I am sorry that happened to you as well. I would have felt the same way. Good you had the self control and are to be commended for that.
    This girl started by saying she didn’t see me cuz of the sun, then went on to say she had been working overnight double shifts for 80 hours that week.
    I hate drink drivers. Once I was driving and saw this guy ahead of me weaving across two lanes back and forth and up on a curb. It was sick. I though he was stroking out or drunk. I called 911 and they asked me to stay on the phone and follow him. (Strange request) When the cop arrived and passed and lit his lights. they asked me to keep my car behind him. Few minutes later the backup arrive and they cuffed him. Cop came out and flashed me a half empty bottle of booze. Drunk out of his mind.

NE_WARRIOR likes this.
  6. Nov 1, 2019 at 7:05 PM
    Mrpgfernandez

Mrpgfernandez New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pristine
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Crewmax
    Damn. Hell of a story. I can’t believe they asked you to do that for them. Well anyways hope everything goes well with you and your truck. I’m new to this post and I will be posting up my TundraBeast soon.

NE_WARRIOR likes this.
  7. Nov 1, 2019 at 7:06 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    Print this and leave it in the Titans glovebox...lol.

images (5).jpg

8. Nov 1, 2019 at 7:16 PM
    mambo143

mambo143 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD Crewmax
    Thank you sir. That is one heck of a story on the virtue of wielding power wisely.

9. Nov 26, 2019 at 5:50 AM
    grannynancy

grannynancy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nancy
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD 4WD

I wish I had that kind of response. I have never seen a police actually follow up to a drunk driver in front of me (or otherwise severely impaired) and I tend to get way behind them and throw on my flashers and stay with them until the pull off. When they are weaving from lane to lane I am just not going to take the gamble to get hit. And now they want you do to *hp only *hp has a menu and I am sorry but I am not looking at a phone screen while I am driving.

mambo143[QUOTED][OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top