1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear brake pad and rotor replacement 2012 Tundra double cab 5.7

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by eggman, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Aug 7, 2018 at 4:59 PM
    eggman

eggman [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra double cab 5.7
    None
    Hi, can anyone show me a video on rear brake pad and rotor replacement for my 2012 Tundra double cab 5.7? Also a friend mentioned to me today that his friend has the exact same truck as I do. His friend had a rubber boot fail that protects his rack and pinion steering mechanism. He said that the steering rack assembly costs $1200.00. His friend had to have the rack assembly replaced. He also said that in order to replace the complete steering rack assembly the engine must be removed.
    New steering rack assembly $1200.00. $2600.00 to remove the engine and replace steering rack assembly. Total $3800.00. Is this true? Thanks for any feedback on both of these issues. Greatly appreciated!

Gregg

2. Aug 7, 2018 at 5:28 PM
    stevj

stevj New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
    Vehicle:
    Current RAM 1500 owner waiting for the new Tundra "hybrid."
    Well, if you've ever done this on another vehicle with rear disc brakes and have some mechanical abilities, it's about the same procedure and relatively easy.
    Lacking that, spend some time visiting that paragon of knowledge, Youtube, and watch how it's done on other vehicles to get a feel for what to do (and what not to do).
    Sometimes, the most difficult thing is removing the rotor once the caliper is out of the way. Toyota has you covered there with a couple threaded holes in each rotor for bolts that will push the rotor off as you tighten them.
    One more thing. Chock the front wheels before raising the rear end and then release the parking brake so the rotor can come off - you cannot win against the parking brake.
    EDIT: Another one more thing. Know the torque specs for the bolts you will have to remove for this procedure so they can be put back properly.

Steve

Products Discussed in

To Top