1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Realistic Comfortable Towing Capacity for 2017 or newer Tundra

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by watsongp, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Jun 12, 2020 at 10:55 AM
    watsongp

watsongp [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi all, I'm a first time poster here though I've posted a few times and lurked for a long time on the Tacoma forums.

I have a 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport that I absolutely love, but I'm at a point where I need a boost in Towing Capacity. We recently purchased a travel trailer that we'll be living in maybe 3 days a week for about half the year (just built a house that we're turning into a vacation rental in Bend OR, staying in the camper as much as possible so we can rent out our home as much as possible, but that's a different story). The TT weighs in at about 6500 lbs when full of water, add our belongings/gear and we're probably pushing 7000 - 7500 lbs. The Tacoma wasn't made to pull it though it does okay for short distances at low speeds, but I cringe the entire time.

If I'm getting a new truck my first choice is the Tundra just based on how much I love the Tacoma and just from being a life-long Toyota customer. I'd probably be looking at a 2017-2019 Tundra, lightly used--definitely with the 38-gallon gas tank and 4wd.

My question is this: If I'm traveling a couple hours every weekend through the mountains and on the highway, is the Tundra still going to leave me wishing I had a little more power? Will it feel strained going 65 - 70 mph while towing?

I've never owned anything larger than a Tacoma and am not super familiar with other manufacturers and what's available outside of a little light research. I know when it comes to towing it's hard to beat diesel, but I'm also not sure that's entirely necessary for the load I'll be towing. While a little higher towing capacity would always be nice, I don't expect to need to tow anything heavier than the TT I described above (definitely don't need to make a purchasing decision based on anything heavier than that).

Any thoughts, experiences, or recommendations are greatly appreciated. I planned on driving my Taco into the ground and don't really want to take on a new truck payment, but since I don't really have a choice at this point I want to make sure I won't regret the decision I make.

All the best,

Greg

Bigboitundra likes this.
  2. Jun 12, 2020 at 11:22 AM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
  3. Jun 17, 2020 at 4:02 AM
    Tundraman479

Tundraman479 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra Crewmax TRD Sport Lunar Rock
    I was in a very similar position your in a few years ago. Had a 20’ TT that I pulled with a Tacoma. Then the wife wanted something bigger so we bought a 26’ TT. And I decided they Tacoma was to small to safely and comfortably tow that size TT. So we bought a Tundra and haven’t looked back or missed the Tacoma at all.
    I may not be quite as heavy as you are but I’m probably 6.5k lb loaded and the Tundra is perfect. It tows or 26’ TT with no problems and handles the weight just fine. It will run 65-70 towing this trailer all day but the 5.7 is a thirsty motor running at those speeds lol

Bigboitundra and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  4. Jun 17, 2020 at 5:04 AM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Welcome from NY.

You will not regret buying a Tundra.

5. Jun 17, 2020 at 5:09 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    Like others said, get a WDH and tow in S5. Keep in mind the 2019s don’t have a trans cooler anymore. Some have reported higher temps but haven’t read that any transmissions have broken yet. 2018 and previous have them.

6. Jun 17, 2020 at 7:16 AM
    watsongp

watsongp [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks all I really appreciate all the replies!

This helps a ton. Yeah my expectations for gas mileage are pretty low, but I'm definitely looking forward to having a 38-gallon gas tank after towing that thing around in the Tacoma. Once minute I've got half a tank and 15 minutes later I'm looking for gas stations. I typically wouldn't be towing at those speeds but would hate to cough up the dough for a larger truck only to realize it still comes up short--if do a cross-country trip at some point It'd be painful to keep it under 60 on certain stretches.

Bigboitundra likes this.
  7. Jun 17, 2020 at 11:35 AM
    LJOHNS

LJOHNS New Member

Member:
    I just bought a used rv. It’s a 25’ and gcvw is 6000lb. That’s about as high as I can go and keep below the trucks payload rating. 2018 Crewmax Limited.

8. Jun 17, 2020 at 11:47 AM
    AircoolerKirk

AircoolerKirk Old School VW Nut

Member:
    Allen, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Gray Metallic 2017 Tundra TSS 4wd
    If you buy a 17/18 (which i did because trans cooler) just know the brake controller is crap and should be upgraded.

I hauled my 2006 F150, and its GVW is 6,950 to 7,200 lbs. I had no issues whatsoever, other than with the aforementioned brake controller. I in no way felt like it was a struggle, or a problem at 65/70 mph.

Ive towed trailers 1000s of miles, and so far I really like the Tundra for that ability.

9. Jun 17, 2020 at 12:47 PM
    FlyingWolfe

FlyingWolfe Wolfie

Member:
    First Name:
    Crystal
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Inferno
    Do yourself a favor and buy a WDH, I have one for my camper (towing around 6k lbs, no issues).
    Just towed about 7500lbs of tractor and trailer last weekend 140 miles down to MA and the truck barely felt it. I also had a Tacoma (2015 TRD Sport with "tow package"), it was gutless and absolute shit for towing anything over 3k lbs. No regerts.
    As for the gas mileage people whine about constantly on here, it's a truck. My 3 year old work Chevy just had $4k in repairs because the starter/alternator went and fried the ECU and half the wiring harness.. but it gets 19mpg.:rofl:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  10. Jun 17, 2020 at 12:56 PM
    Lake.Life24

Lake.Life24 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Upstate, NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 3500HD Gasser
    I might in the minority but if I was towing an ~8K trailer every weekend I would get a 3/4 ton gasser. You can never have too much truck and they will tow that trailer like a dream

11. Jun 25, 2020 at 7:36 PM
    LJOHNS

LJOHNS New Member

Member:
    I would do the same. 7.5k or more needs more payload, power, and stability.

jordoncloutier likes this.
  12. Jul 3, 2020 at 1:39 PM
    jordoncloutier

jordoncloutier New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordon
    Alberta , Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra CrewMax SR5 Plus 4x4
    Daily Driver / Tow Vehicle , Retrofitted Trans Cooler , 10 Ply tires , Raptor Lined Ranch Hand Grille Guard
    I wouldn't pull a travel trailer that weighs more than 5000 to 5500 lbs dry weight .

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  13. Jul 3, 2020 at 1:42 PM
    gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Wyoming

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2014 trd silver tundra
    6" lift, bumper and winch.
    You exceed payload long before you max out tow capacity. It’s all about the tongue weight .

Products Discussed in

To Top