1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rats

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by txcoastie, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Nov 12, 2017 at 6:50 AM
    txcoastie

txcoastie [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Crew Max 4X4
    Anyone have issues with rats getting under the hood and chewing tubing, if so, did anything work

2. Nov 12, 2017 at 7:34 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I've read that Honda make an expensive tape that's infused with cayenne pepper. I wonder if spraying the looms with pepper spray would do anything. This is kind of a known issue, many manufacturers has gone to a soy-based wire insulation and rodents like. Moth balls might help too but the smell may get into the cab.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  3. Nov 12, 2017 at 8:02 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    I've had good luck with cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil.

4. Nov 12, 2017 at 8:09 AM
    040Tundra

040Tundra Teddy 2013-2019

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    040 '16 CM LTD 4x4
    A little of this and a little of that.
    Man I'd be pissed if a driving frickin rat chewed up my tundra! Real pissed! I hope you find a solution. We don't have a lot of rats or here so no problem, thank goodness.

4x4_Angel likes this.
  5. Nov 12, 2017 at 9:01 AM
    Masshole

Masshole Lovin' The Great North Woods

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC MGM 4X4 SR5 TRD
    Rat poison

4x4_Angel likes this.
  6. Nov 12, 2017 at 9:26 AM
    geno0506

geno0506 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4, S/W, B-6112/5160
    My 2010 Tundra was attacked by rats or squirrels, they ate the wiring harness on the engine. I filled up 2 small socks with cayenne pepper and tied them off into a ball and hung them under the hood with small wires, never had a problem again!

or you can be like this guy

S3cxUv6.jpg

7. Nov 12, 2017 at 9:40 AM
    birdman076

birdman076 Bird, bird, bird...bird is the word

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2015 Brown Tundra Crew Max Limited
    Airbox with K&N Filter, 2" lift on 33's, Alpine iLX-F309 head unit, Pull out bed tool boxes, brown with black trim, rims, etc, black leather interior, matching topper. Muffler delete (too loud..) 62k miles!!!
    I've got a dumb as rocks neighbor behind me who decided it was their mission to feed every goddamn squirrel in North American. It's now my problem as I found dropping on the intake cover on my Tundra and in my wifes Camry as well. I've advise him the bill for repairs will be going to him via my lawyer, they have since taken the feeders down but now its on!

FISHMASTER and 4x4_Angel like this.
  8. Nov 12, 2017 at 10:09 AM
    SLOBlueE90

SLOBlueE90 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tundra Platinum
    Peppermint oil is a great place to start. Dilute some in a spray bottle and spray down the wheel wells and engine bay. Also, soak an old t-shirt in some of the oil, wrap it in foil and stick your oil foil burrito in the engine bay. I took some steel wool and stuck it between the engine bay and windshield cowling to seal up any exposure to the HVAC too.

Finally, use the Tomcat brand outdoor rat traps around your ride. I use peanut butter as bait and I have had great success.

4x4_Angel likes this.
  9. Nov 12, 2017 at 10:17 AM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
  10. Nov 14, 2017 at 9:51 AM
    Tundracollector

Tundracollector New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    16 Dc trd pro, 04 Dc, 08 rcsb
    Awesome, just spent half an hour watching squirrels and rats get sniped! Lol

JC303, T500 and 4x4_Angel like this.
  11. Nov 14, 2017 at 10:01 AM
    T500

T500 # The Dark Side

Member:
    First Name:
    Alfie
    Neptune, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black
    Plenty of rats in NYC, the rodent type and the human type

NewImprovedRon and TheBeast like this.
  12. Dec 3, 2017 at 5:04 AM
    Fr0gburp3r

Fr0gburp3r New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Grey Tundra SR5 Crewmax 4x4
    Looks like he/she has an extra ear.

13. Dec 3, 2017 at 5:16 AM
    Slayer

Slayer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Slayer
    Rats chewed a wire in my truck cost $800 bucks to fix.

I found some peppermint oil at Wal-Mart.. I poured it in cotton ball stuffed soda can I poked holes in & stuffed it in the upper rear of the engine compartment. WORKS !

Tomcat & peanut butter works for catchin' the little bastards.

I'm also going to check out that spray!

14. Dec 3, 2017 at 9:08 AM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    Through the years we’ve had about $1,500.00 of damage from rodents (mice, rats, squirrels). They can get into the air box through the fender. Sticking a tennis ball in the hole in the air box after parking can prevent this. They can squeeze through tiny spaces. The wire insulation Toyota used (not sure if they still do) was made with a soy biproduct, attracting rodents.
    DO NOT USE POISON, if they die inside your ducts or on top of the fuel tank they will rot and decay and be devastatingly hard to get out and clean up. Use multiple traps, don’t always park in the same place, switch up the bait and trap locations. Peanut butter was already mentioned and works well, add apple slices and pieces of walnut. Cats can help but are not dependable as a deterrent.
    Hopefully this helps...

NewImprovedRon and Slayer like this.
  15. Jun 10, 2018 at 4:32 PM
    Tacogrande

Tacogrande New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 dbl. cab long bed gray
    Husky weatherbeaters,short antenna,window deflectors
    Beast you still using this product? Still been happy with it?
    Im just wanting to be precautionary.

16. Jun 10, 2018 at 5:08 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I used it for a year with no issues. Since then I moved to a difference place with no rats :)

17. Jun 10, 2018 at 7:03 PM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    It's a constant battle around here. I used to park next to some bushes, and it was awful. Since I now leave some concrete between the truck and available cover, it's much less of a problem.

I tried all the various chemical remedies. They work, but then who wants to spray down their engine compartment, replace mothballs, etc. in every spare moment? Who can remember? Also forget electronic sound devices. They get used to that real quick, and back they come. Where I park has made the biggest impact.

18. Jun 10, 2018 at 7:17 PM
    Tacogrande

Tacogrande New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 dbl. cab long bed gray
    Husky weatherbeaters,short antenna,window deflectors
    I dont have rats or mice and my place is very well kept and i park my truck inside. Might get a couple mice in the winter or if there are really trashy people living in a rental down the street and its most likely to happen in winter time. I keep poison set out year round. All that said, i always like to have 2-3 layers of protection against a threat. Always hearing about guys wiring being chewed on is crazy. Who the hell makes the decision that peanut oil goes into making wiring!

19. Jun 10, 2018 at 7:41 PM
    Pale_Horse

Pale_Horse Sooooooooo White.

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    White 2013 TRD OR 4x4 DC
    Cupcake chit.
    They chewed my windshield wiper fluid hose a few years ago. :annoyed: That’s embarrassing when you own an exterminating company. :anonymous:I put out poison and didn’t have a problem after that. Agree don’t use poison if truck sits a lot and they may be actually spending a lot of time under the hood.

Also the secret sauce for bait on rat traps even if they get trap shy, is a piece of slim jim.

MatthewPTguy likes this.
  20. Jun 10, 2018 at 7:44 PM
    MatthewPTguy

MatthewPTguy Not a new member

Member:
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 5.7 DC TRD MGM
    Borla dual cat back exhaust system, K&N replacement air filter, Headlight Revolution 40" Stealth LED light bar, Headlight Revolution LED fog light replacement bulbs, Line X bed liner, de-badge
    That’s good information to have... I hate all those rodents... mice, rats, opossums... yuk

21. Dec 31, 2020 at 9:02 AM
    aindallas

aindallas New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jack
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Tundra
    I have had two occasion in the last six months, $1500 of damage each, where squirrels entered the engine compartment and chewed
    the sensors (which to my surprise are made with soy). My local dealer only recommendation was fox urine (a few drops under the hood) as the best solution.
    Seems like there would be a better way to block them from getting to the sensors?

22. Dec 31, 2020 at 9:11 AM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    LED headlamps/fogs; interior footlamps.
    Interesting how some critters choose underhood parts to chew on. I live where there are millions of tree and ground squirrels, rats, mice, possums, raccoons, etc. I have 4 vehicles that live outdoors, luckily not once (I know you're listening Murphy) has this happened, yet.

23. Dec 31, 2020 at 9:31 AM
    773_eddie

773_eddie Trd Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Trd Pro
    12volt remote start, weathertec accessories, Trd Pro decals, Toyota console safe,VLEDS Puddle Lights,Frac Harness,TRD PRO front and Rear Sway Bar,NSV Hood Light Bar,ESP long box,AJT accessories,Thinkware U1000 dashcam, coachbuilder 1/3 Lift, HR LED’s,Pro comp Traction bars, JL complete System wit 2 10” subs, Kenwood DDX9907XR HU
    It all depends on resources if they have it available to them the usually don’t bother with cars but in areas where it’s cold and busy with people like here in Chicago they love to hide in engine compartments and while their chilling in a cozy spot they nibble on wires and hoses I have fixed many harnesses the latest one I had to do was a 08 Charger the owner is a cop so his car is parked for weeks and they ate 4 injector harness wires and 2 vacuum hoses and poop everywhere

24. Dec 31, 2020 at 9:45 AM
    300BLK

300BLK New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra SR5 - Black
    Wow old thread but i had this issue. Dryer sheets in the fuse box and spraying the bay with peppermint oil did the trick.

TheBeast likes this.
  25. Dec 31, 2020 at 10:06 AM
    IBeam

IBeam New Member

Member:
    Southeast Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 CM 4x4 Trail Edition, bed-mounted M2
    txcoastie,
    It appears you might potentially be near Houston. If so, go by Solutions Pest Supply. They supply commercial pest controllers and will sell you some good stuff and free advice. I not, perhaps a similar supplier. I have had good results with this:
    https://www.solutionsstores.com/eratication-rodent-bait

(I actually place against the house under the rood eaves and out of he rain, they last quite a while -- and they kill quickly

26. Dec 31, 2020 at 10:50 AM
    crewmaxlmt

crewmaxlmt How dare you!

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2020 Crewmax Limited
    I'm glad that one of my cats will catch everything in the yard. Mice, moles, birds, even a snake once.

Products Discussed in

To Top