1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question on power tailgate locks

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2014+)' started by Oscar2, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Jan 25, 2018 at 4:46 PM
    Oscar2

Oscar2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Crewmax SR5 5.7L 2WD Barcelona Red
    I'm thinking of installing a power tailgate lock in my 2017 Tundra.

Whenever I google that, the main thing that comes back is the Pop & Lock for like $80-90.
    In the reviews, people indicate that it works well but also that it makes a fairly loud clunk when it operates.

The other thing that comes up is the 00016-34092 for $150. Sparks Toyota sells that one, I have also seen it on eBay and so on.

Two things about that one: 1) In all the ads I've seen for that one they only ever show a picture of a key (not the power lock), and 2) I never see any discussion or reviews by anyone who has bought one.

(it's kind of weird)

I actually don't mind buying the second one for $150 vs the Pop & Lock, if it is quieter.

So what's the deal, does anyone know the difference? Is one quieter than the other? Is the second one a Toyota part? Are they both the same lock, just being sold by different vendors?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Viper3G likes this.
  2. Jan 25, 2018 at 5:14 PM
    NewImprovedRon

NewImprovedRon SouthBoundSteve Fan Club President

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red TSS Doublecab 4X4 Off Road
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
  3. Jan 25, 2018 at 5:49 PM
    71_340

71_340 The German

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    FLW, MO
    Here are the instructions for the Toyota power lock. I just installed a P&L and the Toyota lock looks identical but is twice the price.

I don't think it is really loud but I followed the advice of others and greased the heck out of all the moving parts.

Attached Files:

NewImprovedRon and 15whtrd like this.
  4. Jan 25, 2018 at 6:41 PM
    Fishin1981

Fishin1981 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 tundra limited crewmax
    Pop and lock, esp storage, access lorado, front tints
    I installed the pop n lock as well. I don’t get all the fuss about how“loud” it is. Some act like it’s a constant noise while driving. Either way, I’m very happy with it and if I can install it, anyone can!

71_340, 15whtrd and 831Tun like this.
  5. Jan 25, 2018 at 7:24 PM
    mbcross

mbcross New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax
    Love my Pop N Lock!

6. Jan 25, 2018 at 9:48 PM
    ChucklesToy

ChucklesToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
    I kinda like the clunk when locking all of the doors as an acknowledgement that everything is locked...yes, my truck's lights flash, but the clunk doesn't bother me. It only does this while it locks or unlocks, not consistently as you drive. I also used Dynamat sound deadening mat around it to reduce the sound somewhat. The unit in the Toyota document does look just like the Pop-n-Lock unit that I installed.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    15whtrd likes this.
  7. Jan 25, 2018 at 10:13 PM
    Oscar2

Oscar2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Awesome, that’s what I wanted to hear, so the two are likely to be essentially the same. So I’ll just go ahead and order the pop & lock then, should be just what the doctor ordered.

As far as limiting the sound goes, I wonder if anyone has experimented with using a resistor, or maybe a resistor and a capacitor to limit the speed at which the solenoid pulls? I feel like with the right network on it one could slow that down just a wee bit, which would make it quieter. I might play around with that.

Or maybe it’s possible to rig a bumper stop or a viscous coupling to it? I’m wondering if someone has already experimented with these things (so I don’t go reinventing the wheel :))

8. Jan 25, 2018 at 10:17 PM
    BRTundra

BRTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platinum 5.7L CM
    I put dynamat inside the tailgate and it helps a lot.

15whtrd and ChucklesToy like this.
  9. Jan 25, 2018 at 10:27 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, charcoal filter delete, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, Tyger soft tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate.
    It’s really not that loud. You know its working. I don’t think you want to dampen it. It may cause it to not always engage properly.

This is exactly what I did. Some on the back of the access panel and some on the mounting surface. Also my tailgate is line-Xed im sure that helps. I think I sounds solid.

10. Jan 25, 2018 at 10:37 PM
    Viper3G

Viper3G Why isn't work more like this?

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crew Max 1794 4WD Super White
    Phillips X-treme Ultinon LED H4 bulbs, 3M Color Stable 35 tint on front doors, 3M Crystalline 40 on sunroof, OEM bed liner, OEM running boards, Morimoto fog LEDs, Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite, Husky X-Act Contour floor mats
    Great question OP and thanks for everyone's comments!

11. Jan 26, 2018 at 3:48 AM
    71_340

71_340 The German

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    FLW, MO
    Don't overthink a simple device with a simple installation, it is not loud at all, just grease everything really good so things move easily. After you install it try it out and if you feel it is to loud start making changes.

12. Jan 26, 2018 at 6:26 AM
    Roman

Roman Toyota Parts Master Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Roman
    Franklin, TN
    The second one is not a Toyota part. I'm actually not sure who manufacturers that one. Any time you see a part number beginning with 00016 it means that it is a SET or GST part. It's aftermarket stuff that those regions have created a part number for.

13. Jan 26, 2018 at 7:37 AM
    NewImprovedRon

NewImprovedRon SouthBoundSteve Fan Club President

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red TSS Doublecab 4X4 Off Road
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    @Roman = the Guru of parts

15whtrd and Roman like this.
  14. Mar 3, 2018 at 4:37 PM
    Oscar2

Oscar2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    I installed the Pop & Lock. It works great. I decided to try some sound deadening. Dynamat seemed like overkill (price-wise). Googling around pointed me to this stuff which turns out works great. You buy it at Home Depot, it costs about $17 for a 25’ roll x 6” (weirdly it seems to cost more online than at Home Depot)

U.Seal Instant Waterproof Repair Tape, UPC: 0-99713-03401-3

[​IMG]
    It’s easy to install because it doesn’t really grab until you press it on (but then it REALLY grabs, i.e you are not getting it off!). It’s rubbery and it sticks well, so that keeps the tailgate from resonating. It just has a solid thunk instead.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018

Products Discussed in

To Top