1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question for those that air down offroad...

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Cement, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Apr 13, 2019 at 12:10 PM
    Cement

Cement [OP] ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Trundra TRD
    What do you consider the minimum safe air pressure to run when offroad with the following combo:

OEM 18" SR5 Off Road Wheels + 295 70 Toyo Open Country AT2s?

I picked up a set of Staun's which come factory preset to 18psi. Wondering if that's good to go or if I need up reset them to something higher. Reeeeaaallly dont wanna be rolling a tire off the wheel out in the middle of nowhere.

TIA

CaptSpaulding likes this.
  2. Apr 13, 2019 at 1:28 PM
    the_midwesterner

the_midwesterner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD Pro - Quicksand
    None, yet....
    So... popping a bead can technically happen at any time. It’s just more prone to happen while aired down, since there is less outward pressure helping keep the bead seated. You hit a curb hard enough fully aired up, I’m willing to bet that tire ain’t going to survive. See my point?

As such, I generally don’t recommend sub 15ish pressure without beadlocks, however this really depends on your sidewall size and driving style. Since you have a 70 series sidewall, you “should” be fine at 18psi pressure. That is what I run on my 315/70s. Just be mindful of when you come to situations in where your bead may be compromised and correct accordingly. Now if you are the point and floor it kind of guy, maybe safer to increase your air down pressure. Also, your terrain will come into play. If you’re doing more crawling type of wheeling, then lower pressures are fine. If you just want a softer ride, may be safer to stay higher.

Hope this helps, but there isn’t a run X pressure because it’s literally the best type of pressure. Whole bunch of variables to consider.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    ColoradoTJ, 15whtrd and CaptSpaulding like this.
  3. Apr 13, 2019 at 1:51 PM
    Cement

Cement [OP] ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Trundra TRD
    Thanks Luis, all understood. I've aired down and wheeled for years, but never on a wheel this narrow (OEM is 8" right?). I'm sure 18psi is good to go, especially with how I drive (slow, careful, rather see the sights than blow past em...). Just wanted some confirmation. Thanks again.

the_midwesterner and 15whtrd like this.
  4. Apr 13, 2019 at 2:09 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    If I’m crawling I usually go 15-20. If I’m going high speed, usually around 25.

5. Apr 13, 2019 at 2:10 PM
    CaptSpaulding

CaptSpaulding ...ain't nothin but nothin

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    2010 White DC 4x4
    Rock Warrior wheels are 8" wide, I currently run 35x12.5x17 BFG KO2s, which are load E rated and target 16psi for most trails. I was in Mohave driving pretty hard for 4 days without issue a few weeks ago. I did scuff the faux-bead lock ring on the rocky trail up to Fort Piute in 1 spot, otherwise all good.
    Costco wouldn't mount the tires to the wheels (even though I purchased the tires there) because the tire width minimum is 8.5". Thankfully, I trust our fellow forum members running the same combo so I went to Les Schwab who did all the work, I including an alignment. I was told with the E rated tire, you can go as low as 12psi before slipping a bead...too low for my comfort though.

Just my experience and input, I could be pushing my luck everytime

6. Apr 13, 2019 at 2:13 PM
    JMB

JMB Not new, just a little old.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tundra DC
    5100s all around, 295-70-18 Defenders, 1.25 Spidertrax spacers, BD reverse lights, de-badged, interior LEDs, footwell LEDs, reverse LEDs, ARE cap, front receiver hitch for cooler holder, cooler holder/rod rack, backup camera, Kenwood HU, Westin nerf bars, Husky floor liners, folding rear seats, remote battery posts, plastidip grill chrome, Powder coat bumpers.
    Same size tires and 8" stock rims. I'm always at 18 psi on the beach, never had a problem.

CaptSpaulding likes this.
  7. Apr 15, 2019 at 8:23 AM
    Cement

Cement [OP] ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Trundra TRD
    Update: I ran mine down to 15psi this weekend with no problems. Over the 20 mile run, the terrain included lots of sharp desert rocks, sand, a few water crossings, steep ups and downs with several off camber turns in between. I don't think I'll push any further down than that, unless stuck in the sand or mud. Otherwise, I think all good.

viber image 2019-04-14 , 14.50.06.jpg

PS: Loved having that front camera and FRAC harness. Helped some in situations like the above but REALLY helped when climbing. No more seeing only sky and trusting the trail didn't turn out from under me.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    OR18TRD, JMB, Spitfire and 4 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top