1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about Replacing 10' SR5 TRD Struts and Rear Shocks? Hard to find.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by WOLVPRO, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Feb 19, 2021 at 11:09 AM
    WOLVPRO

WOLVPRO [OP] New Member

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra TRD Off Road
    Road Warrior Front Grille, Headlights, Led Front 6000k headlight upgrade. Coming soon: Flowmaster Front Rough Country leveling Kit, Super 44 Exhaust, New Wheels and Nittos!
    I got this 2010 Tundra SR5 TRD Off Road 4x4 Extended Cab and I have been having an issue finding replacement front struts and rear shocks! Anyone on here know of any place online like eBay or any other place I could go to get a set of struts. I replace my struts every 3 years so going name brand never made sense to me. But I am not against it. I had great luck with Detriot Axle Struts for years now but they do not make any that is for the TRD models. Anyone? Wondering if I will have to get a spring compressor and just find the TRD s4x4 front and rear shocks and just manually replace them? Thanks guys!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Feb 19, 2021 at 12:31 PM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
  3. Feb 19, 2021 at 1:33 PM
    preacher35

preacher35 RIGHTEOUS MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Platinum Crewmax 4x4
    The Tundra does not have struts. It has coil-overs in the front and shocks in the rear. What is your budget? Is your current suspension stock? What do you use your truck for? Do you carry heavy loads or pull trailers? Do you go off-road much? There are many options out there over a broad spectrum of prices. The knowledge base on this forum is incredible, but we need more information from you in order to help you with suggestions.

4. Feb 19, 2021 at 6:04 PM
    WOLVPRO

WOLVPRO [OP] New Member

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra TRD Off Road
    Road Warrior Front Grille, Headlights, Led Front 6000k headlight upgrade. Coming soon: Flowmaster Front Rough Country leveling Kit, Super 44 Exhaust, New Wheels and Nittos!
    Hello these are stock with over 200k on them and I think its time to replace them. They do not appear to be coil overs but bilstein yellow struts? I could be wrong. I want to go back with stock struts for the truck and I have found some on eBay from a seller that I use in the past and it says not for TRD package. This is on every one I have found. I just want a simple stock style replacement. No over kill, nothing special. I do not go offroading. I hardly carry any heavy loads or pull trailors. I use it as a daily driver. Any advice would be great! I have installed a leveling kit to level the truck out which is a rough country. I can compress the spring on the strut that is on it and install a shock if I can get a better one than one of the cheaper all in ones...Thanks

5. Feb 20, 2021 at 4:16 AM
    preacher35

preacher35 RIGHTEOUS MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Platinum Crewmax 4x4
    Well, you have several options. You could easily go with Bilstein 4600 repalcements. Those run about $90.00 per. You can look on the classifieds here on Tundras.com. I saw some 5100's with the coils already installed, with 40k on them for $150.00. Most people on this board are going to go with a name brand, trusted coil-over. Again, I ask: what is your budget?

6. Feb 20, 2021 at 5:08 AM
    WOLVPRO

WOLVPRO [OP] New Member

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra TRD Off Road
    Thanks for the reply. I saw people selling used items and I wouldn't go that route with suspension items like the struts and shocks, considering most seem to only be rated for 80k miles in most cases and depending on how rough it has been used, one would find it hard to tell exactly how hard it was used on or off road. I see complete factory oe sets for around 400 new. Once more man thanks again for the reply. What is so confusing on this rig is that it's a sr5 trd but on most a sites searching my model the double cab it only shows sr5 limited trd. I'm going to make a phone call to Toyota parts this morning and find out why that it. Thanks again and have a great one man..

7. Feb 20, 2021 at 6:04 AM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD OFFROAD
    Coach Builder 1 inch lift strut spacers Coach Builder 1 inch shackles TRD Sway Bar Diode Dynamics SS
    The OEM Toyota TRD Bilsteins will provide a nice comfortable ride in all honesty. The Bilstein 4600s will be better for towing and heavy loads.

8. Feb 20, 2021 at 6:06 AM
    WOLVPRO

WOLVPRO [OP] New Member

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra TRD Off Road
    Thank you! I was wondering what the difference was between the 2.

Oey12 likes this.
  9. Feb 20, 2021 at 9:02 AM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD OFFROAD
    Coach Builder 1 inch lift strut spacers Coach Builder 1 inch shackles TRD Sway Bar Diode Dynamics SS
    Your welcome! The valving is different.

10. Feb 21, 2021 at 7:30 AM
    WOLVPRO

WOLVPRO [OP] New Member

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra TRD Off Road
    Thanks man!

Oey12 likes this.
  11. Feb 21, 2021 at 7:44 AM
    ShreveportTSS

ShreveportTSS Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2018 5.7 4x4 Crewmax TSS
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but 2007 and up are pretty much the same. Find someone that upgraded theirs and buy their low mileage takeoffs. Mine are in the shed with 5k miles and I would let them go for $100 front and rear for local pick up and that's just because it would take $100 to get my lazy ass out to the shed. :anonymous: It would cost $1,000,000 to get me to ship them though. :crapstorm:

Products Discussed in

To Top