1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about recurring Ignition Coil problem

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by skyclad, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Jul 31, 2017 at 12:36 PM
    skyclad

skyclad [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tundra 4.7
    none
    Hi Guys....
    I have a question regarding the above situation.. Three weeks ago I had to have the #2 and #3 Coil and Plug replaced at my favorite repair shop here in town.. About 3 days ago, the exact same symptoms occurred again (started out fine, went about 1/2 mile down the road and then felt like it was running on 2 cylinders with obvious major loss of power........barely making it back home..).. It was just towed a moment ago to the shop, so I'm not for sure yet that this is a repeat of the same thing, but the symptoms are identical..
    My question for you guys today is what could be causing this? Anything come to mind right off the bat when thinking of causation of this problem..?? I've got about 150,000 miles on this truck and it's been running excellent since I bought it in December of 2010.........that is, until the first event happened..
    Just to let you guys know, I have very little knowledge of engines so not for sure if I could answer any specific questions you might have regarding that.. Today I'm just mainly wondering if a cause for this happening jumps out at you..
    Thanks in advance for any info you might have...!

2. Jul 31, 2017 at 12:38 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Was there any CEL codes?

Bob and Tomcat like this.
  3. Jul 31, 2017 at 12:59 PM
    Tomcat

Tomcat Ever see a motorcycle outside a shrinks office?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4X4 5.7 20" wheels Metallic Gray
    Bakflip
  4. Jul 31, 2017 at 1:20 PM
    skyclad

skyclad [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tundra 4.7
    none
    I have no idea about CEL codes.. I do know that the engine light was on AND blinking.. As I said above, do not know much about engines, just looking for some general ideas of what might be causing this.. Any rough ideas? When I hear from the mechanic and his diagnosis, will let you guys know what he said.. I'm just worried this BS will continue since it appears to be the same thing as before..
    Thanks again for all responses back...!

5. Jul 31, 2017 at 1:26 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    U need to pull the codes from the CEL (check engine light) this can be done via an Ultragauge, or at Autozone, dealer etc. autozone does not charge for this

Tomcat likes this.
  6. Jul 31, 2017 at 2:10 PM
    skyclad

skyclad [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tundra 4.7
    none
    Thanks for that Sean266.. I was unable to take it to Auto Zone to check things out, as I barely made it back to the house.. Had it towed to the shop from here today so it's kind of a done deal at this point.. If this keeps up, I believe I need to purchase an Ultragauge....!

7. Jul 31, 2017 at 2:46 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    In my experience, a flashing CEL has indicated a misfire. Having the codes read can narrow it down to which cylinders are afflicted. Normally fitting it with a new one takes care of it. These newer engines are vastly more complex and as a result, more difficult to troubleshoot. The best that I could speculate on is that you have another coil bad, the one that was replaced was defective, you may have a dying spark plug or a wire(s) relating to ignition that are defective.

8. Aug 1, 2017 at 12:50 PM
    skyclad

skyclad [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tundra 4.7
    none
    Just wanted to follow up on the ongoing situation with my Tundra over here, but first wanted to thank all of you that have responded back.. Much appreciated..!
    So I got a call earlier from the repair shop and it WAS another ignition coil that went out.. This time it was #1.. So, I've now replaced #1 through 3.. I asked the guy on the phone if he asked the mechanic what might be causing this, and why it's happening all at once.. He said that "that's just what happens at some point, and that eventually you'll have to replace them all." Maybe he's thinking I should just replace them all, but that's not an option at this time.. So, now I'll always be wondering when the next one will be going out.. Just curious.......do you guys agree with what he said? I have no idea either way as I'm the nonMechanical pawn in this game right now.. Wondering your take on all this.. As usual, thanks for all responses back..!

9. Aug 1, 2017 at 1:15 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I'm not as familiar with the 4.7L and how the coils are set up, but in my dealings they're a sealed unit. They are subject to lots of potential vibration and heat cycles. Some will last longer than others. I've replaced ones at 100K miles where others have lasted over 300K and beyond the life of the rest of the vehicle. I would be surprised if at some point you had to replace them all, but it doesn't strike me as unreasonable to have one or maybe more stop working within specifications at some point on a truck with over 150K on it. The ones I had to replace were less than $100 ea. Considering what they're subject to, that's okay in my book.

10. Aug 1, 2017 at 5:26 PM
    Tomcat

Tomcat Ever see a motorcycle outside a shrinks office?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4X4 5.7 20" wheels Metallic Gray
    Bakflip
    Make sure you are dealing with a mechanic you can trust since you have no way to verify their diagnosis.

11. Aug 17, 2017 at 3:50 PM
    Somemedic

Somemedic New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 AC Cab/ 2010 Dbbl Cab Long Bed
    Yak racks Awning LED dash LED headlights / fog lights Hellwig Helper springs KC HD springs Bed slide out Sony AX100 w/ cam SOS Big Brake front kit Rancho 9000 front / rear
    You can verify the issue by buying a decent code reader. It will point you in the right direction as to which coil is acting up. Move the coil and drive it awhile and if you get a misfire at the relocated coil you'll know it's the coil and not the wire or plug.

I wouldn't call the ignition coils going out reoccurring. Tremendously inconvenient and untimely but you realize they were probably installed at the same time

12. Dec 28, 2022 at 2:48 PM
    Dr jones

Dr jones New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2000 tundra
    Lift kit
    Having the same issue. 2004 Tundra in October this year had the misfiring and flashing check engine light. Replaced coil packs and spark plugs. 2 weeks ago same issue and they replaced the coil packs again and now this morning it happened again. Don’t know if something else could be happening to make it misfire and harm the Colin packs.

13. Dec 28, 2022 at 3:01 PM
    rock climber

rock climber New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2001 Sequoia 4X4, 2000 AC 4X4
    What brand coils are they using? Lots of hit and miss quality out there. Denso units are the best and usually about $50 each. Super easy to replace yourself if you're willing.

Somemedic likes this.
  14. Dec 29, 2022 at 4:55 AM
    Dr jones

Dr jones New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2000 tundra
    Lift kit
    I’m going to check to find out what brand they used. Im sure it’s some from Napa

15. Dec 29, 2022 at 7:11 AM
    Somemedic

Somemedic New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 AC Cab/ 2010 Dbbl Cab Long Bed
    Yak racks Awning LED dash LED headlights / fog lights Hellwig Helper springs KC HD springs Bed slide out Sony AX100 w/ cam SOS Big Brake front kit Rancho 9000 front / rear
    Denso is your friend

16. Dec 29, 2022 at 7:49 AM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    10mm socket or wrench and one plastic clip. So easy a caveman could do it. My apologies to any cavemen who are offended by this comment. replacing 8 of them with quality Denso units all at once would set one back roughly $400, or less than one tow and diagnostic at a reputable mechanic, certainly much less than the repairs there.

bmf4069, shifty` and FrenchToasty like this.
  17. Dec 29, 2022 at 7:54 AM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    For reference, I'm still rocking my originals installed at the factory in 1999 with 265k+ miles on them. They can last a long time. They can also develop cracks in the tube / sleeve portion.

18. Dec 29, 2022 at 8:10 AM
    weadjust

weadjust New Member

Member:
    Tupelo, MS
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra Limited DC
    A lot of time it's not actually the coil that fails but the rubber boot and spring that makes contact with the spark plug. The rubber boot cracks or splits causing the misfire. It's cheap to replace the boots and springs when replacing the spark plugs when they are due to be changed. Most every shop will replace the coil that comes with a new boot and spring.

[​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    w666 likes this.
  19. Dec 29, 2022 at 9:31 AM
    bfunke

bfunke Tundra Curmudgeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR-5 CM 5.7, 2000 SR-5 AC 4.7L
    @skyclad. A good code reader is your friend. You can get them at any parts store. The misfire code will tell you which cylinder if you google it. Only buy Denso could and electronic parts for Toyotas. Rock auto is the best place to them. They have a discount code for our group

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022

Products Discussed in

To Top