1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Push Start Conversion Gen 2.5 ?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by RikkiBobbi, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Feb 3, 2022 at 11:03 AM
    RikkiBobbi

RikkiBobbi [OP] i'm Literally Rikki Bobbi

Member:
    First Name:
    RikkiBobbi
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota Tundra TSS Off Road
    Linkit 3.0 wireless CarPlay, Husky Xcut, Tundra metal letter on trunk, upcoming .... Smartcap EVO shell, Rail system, bed cover, ceramic tint including windshield, tinted headlights and tail lights, full time gps alarm system with dash camera front and rear, bull nose for front, debating rear bumper, waiting on long gun locker for under rear seat with seat rail mods to sit flush and not raise back seat, Pedal Commander ordered as well as fender flares and tinted film for front logo and led conversion lights for all interior lights
    So I think I got quite a bit spoiled with my Audi and Cadi and the push button start/no key ignition.
    I love my 21 Tundra but it's key start although I do have remote start thanks to my after market alarm system but I constantly forget when I remote start and it unlocks by proximity that I still need to put a key in the ignition. Minor inconvenience but still this is probably my forever truck.

Thanks to this Texas freeze lots of indoor time right now to work on ideas for projects and if it's possible to convert to push start i'd love to do it.

Anyone have a 21' Tundra that came with push button? is there an OEM upgrade I could do or am I looking at aftermarket only ?

Weather is killing me, I have the cat shields, 1st oil change and futomo valve and Smart Cap all sitting on my living room floor.

2. Feb 3, 2022 at 11:16 AM
    Tmd_mn

Tmd_mn New Member

Member:
    I have a 2015 tundra with aftermarket remote start with the keyed ignition, I can start the truck and use the key to "take" over and drive away.
    I was told when I had my remote start installed in my Sienna with the push button start that this is not an option, and had to restart every time with the push start.
    Seems all push button start vehicles from Toyota will shut down as soon as you open the door and you will need to start it again.
    So in my opinion having the key is better, but you might want to confirm this on the newer trucks.

RikkiBobbi[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 3, 2022 at 11:38 AM
    RikkiBobbi

Member:
    First Name:
    RikkiBobbi
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Linkit 3.0 wireless CarPlay, Husky Xcut, Tundra metal letter on trunk, upcoming .... Smartcap EVO shell, Rail system, bed cover, ceramic tint including windshield, tinted headlights and tail lights, full time gps alarm system with dash camera front and rear, bull nose for front, debating rear bumper, waiting on long gun locker for under rear seat with seat rail mods to sit flush and not raise back seat, Pedal Commander ordered as well as fender flares and tinted film for front logo and led conversion lights for all interior lights

Thanks !!!! I did grow up using a key for 3 decades of my adult life so not the worst situation, my middle name should be "upgrade"

4. Feb 3, 2022 at 4:19 PM
    Brendybobby

Brendybobby New Member

Member:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2019 tundra limited crew cab - silver sky metallic
    2019 Toyota Tundra Limited Crewmax Silver Sky Metallic Rock Warrior Wheels Spidertrax 1.25 spacer 37x12.5x17 Dirty Sevens Club Bilstein B8 8112 Coilovers Bilstein UCA BILSTEIN 5160 Wheeler mini leaf pack addition (I think deaver f-85) Increasingly aggressive BMCs/CMCs
    Check again here in the forum, I’ve read about a sequoia guy who did this proximity keyless entry w remote start and push start, a 2.5 gen tundra guy followed his lead. Product is on Amazon too for like $135

TundraDan723 and RikkiBobbi[OP] like this.
  5. Feb 3, 2022 at 4:32 PM
    Brendybobby

Brendybobby New Member

Member:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2019 tundra limited crew cab - silver sky metallic
    2019 Toyota Tundra Limited Crewmax Silver Sky Metallic Rock Warrior Wheels Spidertrax 1.25 spacer 37x12.5x17 Dirty Sevens Club Bilstein B8 8112 Coilovers Bilstein UCA BILSTEIN 5160 Wheeler mini leaf pack addition (I think deaver f-85) Increasingly aggressive BMCs/CMCs
  6. Feb 3, 2022 at 9:17 PM
    PA452

PA452 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 CM TRD O/R
    My '21 has push button start from the factory. Frankly I kind of wish it had a regular key.

MT Madman likes this.
  7. Feb 4, 2022 at 3:03 AM
    MT Madman

MT Madman Just an ordinary guy

Member:
    Hawk Point MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver Platinum
    TRD dual exhaust TRD Rear Sway Bar SnugTop Hi-Liner
    I hear ya PA452, it is nice not to have to dig a key out but over-all I'd much rather twist to start.

Also came across this: How to turn off the smart key FOB "Hold LOCK and press UNLOCK twice". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wmr1VPU8cw

I do this with our spare keys to save the battery.

8. Feb 5, 2022 at 9:27 PM
    PA452

PA452 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 CM TRD O/R
    I do that too with my spare key. I've been wanting to get in a habit of doing it with the key in my pocket too.

Here's a guy in Canada who had his Tacoma stolen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tQVov0Ra8g

MT Madman[QUOTED] and Mobeyk like this.
  9. Feb 6, 2022 at 3:22 AM
    Mobeyk

Mobeyk New Member

Member:
    Oshawa Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra TRD pro, 2018 SR5
    Vland headlights, LED fogs, Rough country lower bumper LED bar, third light switch to LED, ICL ceramic coating, hood fender
    This should be pinned on top for the 2022 Tundra buyers.

10. Feb 6, 2022 at 11:58 AM
    RikkiBobbi

Member:
    First Name:
    RikkiBobbi
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    So the interesting thing with the aftermarket stereo I have I technically could have a key with just a chip but no remote buttons on it and i'd be happy as can be with that as my alarm/iphone/computer can all unlock/remote start or stop etc my TUndra so I just need a key to turn the ignition, i'm wondering if that chip is just an NFC chip could I just ditch the whole circuits and remote workings ?? Thoughts? I currently lock in my gun box a key so I never need to carry a key with me if I have my iphone on me

11. Jan 8, 2023 at 4:36 PM
    KrOswalt

KrOswalt New Member

Member:
    I might’ve missed it, but what remote start system do you have? I’d prefer not doubling the using of my starter just to have the remote start function

12. Jan 11, 2023 at 7:04 AM
    Tmd_mn

Tmd_mn New Member

Member:
    I have a Compustar one, but i think any reputable brand will do, I believe there is a plug and play version from 24volt as well. What matters more is if the truck has the push button start or not.
    Seems every push button start from Toyota/Lexus seems to shut down when you open up the car. Only when you have the Keyed ignition can you open the door, insert the key and drive away.

Also depending on what year, if you have the push button you might already have the remote start enabled. Try the Lock, lock lock and hold, see if that will start it.

Products Discussed in

To Top