1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Prinsu vs Frontrunner vs ???

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by CCarr, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Mar 7, 2019 at 2:51 PM
    CCarr

CCarr [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    I'm looking around right now and trying to decide which rack system I'm going to put on the truck and topper eventually. I like the look and utility of the flat tray style racks. I'm getting Thule tracks installed on the topper, so will be an easy mount there. Seems like everything for the cab requires drilling. Right now I'm going back and forth between full Prinsu racks and full Frontrunner Slimline racks. I'm kind of leaning towards the Frontrunner, just based on the looks and the availability of accessories (as expensive as they might be). Anyone have experience/opinions either way? Any other racks I should be looking at?

2. Mar 7, 2019 at 3:10 PM
    InfernoPRO

InfernoPRO Technicolor BASTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno TRD PRO
    Was looking at racks for years and I almost purchased the Front Runnner. I liked how it had both cab and shell racks that created one plateform. I am glad I waited though for Prinsu to finally make a cab rack for the tundras. Since they realeased it last year I bought theirs and am very happy. Personally it looks way better and actually fits the body lines of the Tundra. Prinsu sits lower on the truck and has a front deflector that contours with the windshield. I am picking up wind noise with the Prinsu, I can only imagine how much worse the Front Runner would sound.

As for attachments, Front Runner is obviously the bigger company that spans many brands, so they have a lot of options to buy mounts from them. However as you can see the prices are not cheap. Prinsu doesn’t have premade mounting options but it does have universal T-slot bars. I have been adding lots of lights and gear onto my Prinsu racks. I really appreciate that I can find mounts that are cheaper and work better with my gear because Prinsu cross bars are non proprietary. You can see my install on my build page. I should have a post coming soon about attaching gear. Just look at Tacoma World Prinsu pages to see how universal they can be.

Obviously I am very happy with my purchase. Hopefully some Front Runner guys can weigh in.

3. Mar 7, 2019 at 3:13 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    How about Rhino Rack? Their pioneer tray looks pretty clean and has lots of accessories too. I want to add a rack on top of my tonneau cover so sub’d.

4. Mar 8, 2019 at 8:45 AM
    CCarr

CCarr [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yeah I like the look of those too, but they’re even more expensive than front runner, which seems to be a little more proven at this point

5. Mar 8, 2019 at 8:46 AM
    CCarr

CCarr [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the input. I’m going to go check out your build thread now :thumbsup:

6. Mar 8, 2019 at 9:48 AM
    monaco730

monaco730 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    16 Inferno Tundra
    Fox shocks, TRD Exhaust, TRD grill, TRD shift knob, weathertech floor/bed liners, ARE topper, FrontRunnerOutfitters cargo rack, Relentless cargo bars, color matched front bumper/side mirrors, fuel wheels, nitto RGs, K&N intake
    Frontrunner for me. I did have some issues during install and issues where the slats got damaged from some of the accessories i bought and attached. FR sent me new stuff. Apparently I "tightened things too much" but whatever. It has worked well after all the issues were worked out.

7. Mar 8, 2019 at 10:08 AM
    sdde4n

sdde4n New Member

Member:
    People's Republic of California
    Vehicle:
    2018 CrewMax - Sierra Romeo Cinco
    Leitner Designs ACS
    @1UPPER has one that looks pretty clean.

Also, check youtube for Expedition Overland's Tundra build. They used a cab rack, but I forget which.

Hopefully, the folks at Yota will make the 4th Gen with something already in the gutters so we don't have to drill.

8. Mar 8, 2019 at 10:12 AM
    InfernoPRO

InfernoPRO Technicolor BASTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno TRD PRO
    Expedition Overland uses Front Runner on the cab.

Products Discussed in

To Top