1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Power delivery - TTV6 vs Hybrid TTV6 vs old V8

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by bballjames, May 18, 2022.

1. May 18, 2022 at 3:55 PM
    bballjames

bballjames [OP] New Member

Member:
    Inland PNW
    Vehicle:
    22 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Hybrid Crew Max 6.5ft bed
    Hey everyone - pretty new here, and new to trucks. I have a 3rd gen platinum on route to my dealer that should be here in the next couple weeks. It is a hybrid.

I flew in to Seattle yesterday for work, and had rented a car. I walked up to the Hertz board and was shown "President's Circle" which allows you to just go pick a vehicle in this certain section where they have a bunch of rentals. Much to my disbelief at the very end, I spotted a brand new 22 SR5 in MGM, 6.5ft bed. It was right next to a convertible mustang, but I could not kill my curiosity on being able to drive the new Tundra so I went for it.

Anyway, been driving it around a bit yesterday and today and was wondering what people's thoughts are on the power delivery? I haven't owned a truck in the past (coming from a 13 Honda Accord V6). But have driven plenty of V8s, etc. I was a little surprised that the power delivery in this truck doesn't feel consistent. I know turbos can have that affect, but with so much praise about the new powertrain, maybe I expected more. I am not an auto expert by ANY means. I am wondering how my hybrid will differ (if at all). I am hoping that in the low end there is a bit more. That's where I seem to notice it the most. Once a little higher in the rev range it is plenty peppy. And the transmission is very smooth - so definitely has that going for it.

Hopefully not opening a can of worms here - just really looking for honest opinions of those who might have had any experience driving the old V8 vs this new TTV6 vs the hybrid? Probably too new that not many people have driven all three. Just curious on input.

Other than that, I have been loving the rental. Even though it has the smaller screen - wireless carplay works great and has been awesome. Interior is pretty nice understanding it is a base model. They definitely are BIG trucks. Coming from a medium sized sedan, this feels like driving a boat down the road haha, but i'm sure I'll adjust and get used to it.

Metro14536 likes this.
  2. May 18, 2022 at 4:16 PM
    TexasCabledawg

TexasCabledawg New Member

Member:
    I sold an '18 Limited Crewmax to purchase a '22 (previously owned a '14 CM SR5). My '22 has roughly 3200 miles on it, so I decided it was time to give my camper a test tow on Sunday. It is a 26' bumper pull, and dry weight is just under 6500 lbs. The '22 towed much better than my '18 (which really surprised me). Shifting was much smoother, and acceleration was much better. When not towing, it accelerates on the low end much better. I recently took a road trip from Ogden to Los Angeles and back, and noticed that the fuel economy was much better than my 5.7 trucks. The ride quality was much better that my previous trucks as well. I do miss the more spacious cab in the previous gen (not enough to wanna go back), and the bed height sucks.

bballjames[OP] likes this.
  3. May 18, 2022 at 4:50 PM
    Supertech1

Supertech1 New Member

Member:
    How many miles on the rental?

My truck made a noticeable improvement in low end smoothness and acceleration around 1800-2000 miles.

4. May 18, 2022 at 4:57 PM
    bballjames

Member:
    Inland PNW
    Vehicle:
    Interesting - the truck only has 400 miles on it, so still very new. I also think it will be something that you just get used to. But good to know that after a few thousand miles it might smooth out. I probably should have withheld judgment until I had driven it more than just a couple days, but was just curious to get others thoughts.

5. May 18, 2022 at 5:00 PM
    bballjames

Member:
    Inland PNW
    Vehicle:
    This is super helpful comparison to the old V8. I was so used to my little accord that had immediate punch from the low end (which is kind of funny for a little V6 sedan) that I expected a little bit of the same. I will be very curious to see how the hybrid compares. Given the higher torque numbers, I would expect a slightly better punch from low in the rev range, but we'll see.

6. May 18, 2022 at 5:06 PM
    DexterL

DexterL New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 lunar rock TRD pro Seqouia
    what about the bed height so you hate?

7. May 18, 2022 at 5:33 PM
    MJPlat

MJPlat New Member

Member:
    I have not driven the hybrid so I cannot comment on that. My previous truck was a '14 Tundra CM 4x4 5.7L and I'm in the '22 CM 4x4 (non hybrid). Off the line, the 5.7 almost jumped from a stop. It was very eager to get going. The v6tt not so much, it has a lazy way of getting off the line in normal mode. If I switch over to sport+ it is more eager but not as quite the same as the 5.7. Once you get going tho, the v6tt and new transmission are more responsive, especially on the freeway, and accelerate quicker than the 5.7.

8. May 18, 2022 at 5:47 PM
    xc_tc

xc_tc New Member

Member:
    My thoughts are similar to others. Definitely don’t miss the 2nd gen. The acceleration is different right from a stop but I think I prefer the 3rd gen, acceleration from a stop builds as you speed up whereas 2nd gen drops off very quickly. My expectation for the hybrid is more EV like power delivery. Where the V6TT has turbo lag, the hybrid will use the electric motor.

9. May 18, 2022 at 7:03 PM
    DexterL

DexterL New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 lunar rock TRD pro Seqouia
    talking with a few sales guys who drove the hybrid they say it’s night and day difference, like civic vs M5 snap off the line… and to be fair they could have sold me non hybrids within a week or that day.

10. May 18, 2022 at 7:50 PM
    bballjames

Member:
    Inland PNW
    Vehicle:
    Yes, I definitely feel that once you are going, there is power there and can get you going. But just off the line feels a little slow to respond.

11. May 18, 2022 at 7:52 PM
    bballjames

Member:
    Inland PNW
    Vehicle:
    This my expectation as well. I guess I’ll see in a few weeks when it arrives. It’s very weird ordering a $70k truck you’ve never even driven… these are the days aren’t they

Silver17 likes this.
  12. May 18, 2022 at 7:54 PM
    bballjames

Member:
    Inland PNW
    Vehicle:
    :rofl:

This was one of the main reasons I wanted the hybrid. The slight extra power and torque. I’m hopeful that it will make up a little bit that turbo lag in the low end, but we shall see.

Really appreciate the feedback and comparisons. It is very helpful.

13. May 18, 2022 at 8:06 PM
    hairychestedfrog

hairychestedfrog New Member

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    22 Tundra SS Red Plt CM
    Came from a Ram 1500 w/Hemi. This is definitely more powerful and MPG is comparable (I'm getting 17).
    Had a newer 1500 Denali try to pull on me from a light a couple of nights ago. I walked it pretty easily.

14. May 18, 2022 at 8:14 PM
    catalac

catalac New Member

Member:
    Coming from a 2019 I think the 2022 motor is one of the highlights of this truck, way more bottom end than the 5.7 with a very smooth linear powerband. Passing power is nice with the turbos as is towing as is fuel mileage. I don’t really see much turbo lag but my other truck is a 6.7 diesel so might be conditioned to that. Personally I don’t like the fake engine sound they’ve programmed in that’s cheesy imo.

FLTon likes this.
  15. May 18, 2022 at 9:20 PM
    mdre

mdre New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Livermore, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Limited Crew Max TRD OR 4x4
    Coming from the 2014 V8, I’m impressed with the V6TT. With all the electronic upgrades it feels much more responsive and aggressive. I mostly drive in eco mode, but when I want to get after it I put it in sport mode and it’s super snappy.

16. May 19, 2022 at 5:11 AM
    Jb357

Jb357 New Member

Member:
    There's going to be some lag immediately off the line with a ttv6. At 0 boost you're essentially driving a tundra with a tacoma engine whereas the 5.7 is a 5.7 no matter what. Once you start moving and add a few psi of boost the torque curve jumps and off you go.
    The hybrid will be the great equalizer. Having 120 ft/lb of additional torque on tap from a stop will negate any turbo lag.

17. May 19, 2022 at 6:21 AM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    Bakflip MX4 Toneau cover Esp storage Audio system (Helix speakers, JL audio amp and sub) Front windows and windshield tinted LED interior and bed lights
    Part of that is the weight. It takes some power to get all that mass moving.
    Seen that when they drag raced the two. 5.7 jumps the tt off the line, but then very quickly gets over taken. TT takes a second to spool, but the 4.30 rear end in the old gen gives it that boost when it first takes off.

18. May 19, 2022 at 6:33 AM
    Melikeymy beer

Melikeymy beer No cooler for you!

Member:
    Muscogee Nation
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platypus Tundra
    Hopefully I'm not taking OPs thread too far off the tracks here. I came to the 2.5 gen Tundra from a Tacoma to pull a camper. When I'm not towing I really miss my Tacoma for off road and city driving.

I have read the new Tundra is bigger (longer) with a larger turning radius and even harder to manuever for parking, etc. Anyone that has owned both that can opine?

Edit: Not super concerned about off road since I've pretty much written the Tundra off in that regard.

19. May 19, 2022 at 7:09 AM
    TexasCabledawg

Member:
    I carry a couple of traffic cones in my truck, and they fit in my '18 with room to spare under my bed cover. I have the same style bed cover on my '22, and they barely fit now. First world problems lol.....

20. May 19, 2022 at 7:33 AM
    Tundra-G

Tundra-G New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Ltd 4x4 TRD Off-road
    I have owned lots of turbo cars before this ttv6 Tundra.

I can tell you Tundra has close to zero lag in Sport mode. I do not notice any lag at all. In Sport mode, the revs are kept relatively high with turbos spooled, so the pick up is almost instantaneous with great throttle response.

it certainly has less lag than the turbo on my 2019 Porsche Cayenne. Also better throttle response than my last 4Runner.

I do own several NA cars including a Porsche GT3, so I know what throttle and turbo lags are. This Tundra is at the top with the best turbo sports cars out there.

If anything, the hybrid may screw things if not done perfectly.

BTW, this engine has nothing to do with the Taco engine, completely different architecture.

Last edited: May 19, 2022
    alliz986, bballjames[OP] and FLTon like this.
  21. May 19, 2022 at 7:44 AM
    vtl

vtl New Member

Member:
    Boston 'burbs
    Vehicle:
    19 Red SR5
    5.7 V8 is choked by default for sure, in sake of fuel economy. It is a drive by wire vehicle, engine's power output is controlled by a computer. What it is really capable of you can experience by pressing in that TOW/HAUL button. I do it once a week when need to merge safely an ever busy freeway from a 90 degree turn. Old Tundra can be very quick. But it is GPM then, not MPG ;)

Stock fuel map can be usually returned.

22. May 19, 2022 at 7:49 AM
    BecauseRacecar

BecauseRacecar New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '20 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4 Magnetic Gray
    Not sure how we're supposed to discuss the finer points of power delivery when all these engines are hooked up to parasitic torque converter automatics... my '20 feels like I'm driving around with the clutch half engaged until I've started cruising. Curious if the new 10spd fixes that.

23. May 19, 2022 at 8:01 AM
    TexasCabledawg

Member:
    I have to second this. My wife has a '22 Outback Wilderness with the 2.4 turbo, and the lag is horrible on that thing (still a really fun car). Compared to that, I notice very little, if any, lag on my Tundra, especially in sport mode.

On another note, I did see a video a while back of a '22 Tundra in a tug of war with a '21 (I believe it was a '21), and it pulled that 5.7 around without a struggle it seemed. It looked like the 5.7 was going to pull away at first, but once the turbos kicked in it was all over.

24. May 19, 2022 at 8:44 AM
    boon4376

boon4376 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra SR5
    The old Tundra 5.7L V8 does not feel nearly as powerful as the new Twin Turbo v6. The V8 has to rev and build power. The v6 spools the turbos at a very low RPM with pretty much no lag, and the truck gets up and takes off without even revving much. The v6 is actually really addicting to drive. The v8 is not as fun.

25. May 19, 2022 at 8:58 AM
    FISHN43

FISHN43 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White TRD Pro
    Perhaps you didn’t own or drive one with the TRD exhaust? So much fun! :D

26. May 19, 2022 at 9:00 AM
    boon4376

boon4376 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra SR5
    Listening to the turbos is better than an exhaust.

27. May 19, 2022 at 12:22 PM
    FLTon

FLTon New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 CM TRD Sport
    Motorcycle exhaust is fun. On a truck its good for :30-seconds until you turn on the radio, take a call over bluetooth or talk to your passengers.

28. May 19, 2022 at 1:39 PM
    xc_tc

xc_tc New Member

Member:
    Toyota expanded the torque converter lockup area with the 10-speed. Based on my daily driving it seems like it uses the torque converter in 1st and 2nd gear only.
    upload_2022-5-19_16-36-28.jpg

29. May 19, 2022 at 1:44 PM
    BecauseRacecar

BecauseRacecar New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '20 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4 Magnetic Gray
    Cool info, is there a full document available that this screen shot came from? Love to see the technical details on changes made across generations.

30. May 19, 2022 at 2:03 PM
    sensei

sensei master and teacher of nothing

Member:
    trd boosted, trd bbk, fox stage 4, corsa, amp, jl/kenwood
    have a supercharged 08 base trim owned since new and a platinum 22 pure gasser with 2,500 miles. given 08 is supercharged, it kills the 22 in hp and torque BUT i don't really need more pwr or torque in the 22. it has plenty in my experience so far. i boosted the 08 purely for fun but it has helped when i've towed, like a prius on a uhaul trailer across 1,800 miles. i'm just now starting to really open up the 22 since it's well past break-in. if you get a 22 be sure to read the owners manual for break in. there's direction in there to idle the truck for some minutes after driving during break-in to prevent potential damage to the turbos.

but other than that and the audio system from JRT in the 08, the 22 is so much better across the board. very different trims too. the 10spd tranny, various drive modes, avs, pwr boards, lighting, digital rearview, all of the camera angles, pano roof, etc etc. is just awesome. love both trucks.

2tundras.jpg

IMG_5364.jpg

IMG_5387.jpg

IMG_5391.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2022

Products Discussed in

To Top