1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible stupid question. Lol

Discussion in '2.5 Gen TRD Pro (2014-2021)' started by Jimes, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Sep 2, 2018 at 7:30 AM
    Jimes

Jimes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    2015 toyota tundra trd pro
    Hey everyone. So I’ve looked around here and other sites about bump stops and hydraulic bump stops. I have 2015 pro but ordered Kings OEM shocks all the way around and ordered a custom Alcan leaf pack that was made to handle constant 500lbs over stock and add 2” lift and SPC UCAs. The shocks are being valved by Filthy Motorsports or however they do it, but they are being valved with how I drive and weight on vehicle at all times. My possible stupid question is do I need to upgrade the bump stops in the front and rear to something better than stock like a hydraulic bump setup or since I’m getting the shocks valved it doesn’t matter and just keep the stock bumps? Saw a few options for our trucks. All different types of hydros but would go with king to match everything. Have seen the super bumps as well as tiembren bumps as well. This truck is an overland rig purpose built for that as I do not tow anything nor do I ever intend to. Last time I tried to tow a jet ski in high school it was the funniest shit ever. I sucked at it and had to take it off the truck and walk it down. Embarrassing as hell and I’m sure people were cracking up while watching this sad event happen. I know I’m laughing right now and shaking my head. So any recommendations would be great. Oh ya I don’t high speed overland it. Yet. But that all depends how it rides when I get everything put on and how comfortable I feel bombing down trails. Thanks in advance.

Y0TA PR0 likes this.
  2. Sep 2, 2018 at 7:36 AM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    Unless you’ll be going high speed over rough terrain, I think you’ll be fine without bump stops.

If you’re worried about the constant weight in back, try some towing airbags, but I’d think the Dakar’s would be plenty for your needs.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Blueknights75 likes this.
  3. Sep 2, 2018 at 9:00 AM
    Jimes

Jimes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    I’m not worried about the weight anymore cause of the new leaf springs. I’m wondering if going hydro or adding different bumps will even be worth spending money on. And going fast all depends on how the new shocks feel vs the stock pro shocks. I never really drove fast on trails. On occasion maybe 60 mph on open dirt before it started tossing my dogs all over the place. The wife isn’t a huge fan of speeding while on dirt roads. Really just want the most comfortable ride while off-road so my dogs don’t go flying all over the place. Not really sure if hydros will give me a smoother ride or if it doesn’t even matter.

Law323[QUOTED] and 831Tun like this.
  4. Sep 2, 2018 at 9:06 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    I think you answered your own question. "yet", when you wannna go fast through the desert, then hydros might be really nice. Until then you're probably fine w/o 'em. Coming down on your bumps going slowly (crawling over stuff) isn't too bad but can be pretty harsh at higher speeds. Higher speeds can be as low as 35-40 mph. This is just my opinion based on my own experiences.

5. Sep 2, 2018 at 9:58 AM
    Jimes

Jimes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    Ya I’ve hit them before pretty hard at those speeds with a surprise deep rut or dip that I underestimated. I haven’t done much driving in the desert, mostly trails that are washboard and rocky. I like being in the mountains personally. So I’ll just stick with the stock bumps then for now. That just means more money for some other mod. Thanks.

Law323 and joonbug like this.
  6. Sep 2, 2018 at 11:16 AM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    Was about to explain but @831Tun hit the nail on the head.

Enjoy bud!

831Tun and NewImprovedRon like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top