1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible power issue with my 2006 Tundra

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Ccwave, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Oct 20, 2021 at 11:21 AM
    Ccwave

Ccwave [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tundra Limited Double Cab 4WD
    Frontier Grille guard, Tool Box
    So I'll preface this, Im a pipeline surveyor an I don't have a lot of extra time in the day, now the issue at hand. My 06 Tundra about a month ago while driving pretty much died while I was working out in the sticks initially I thought the battery was dead, luckily I had a jump starter so I could turn it back on and get moving again on the drive home I called a mechanic that had replaced my tensioner, in north Dakota now I'm in Oklahoma, he mentioned some tests for me to run particularly with accelerating with my headlights on and seeing if they change brightness which they did, and I determined that my problem is probably the alternator which I went ahead and replaced my 80 amp for an 100 amp that fit at O'Reilly's, I later figured out that they're remanufactured which I didn't really want, so I got back and replaced it still to no avail I could barely drive around my RV park without it dying again, then I decided to test and replace the battery which is at least 2 years old and they tried hooking up to the battery to test it and it wouldn't even register that it was connected so I replaced the battery and still no difference in performance, so I grabbed my voltmeter and tested it off, while running, and with all lights and electronics on and it started out at 14 and slowly started declining while my truck/engine was getting quieter at the same time, so I was reading that alternators can be faulty so I took it out and replaced it again back to an 80 amp because they ordered the wrong one that I asked for so I said f it and swapped them out, still the same results. So I eventually got a code reader and it mentioned I needed to get a new MAF sensor and I have 2 misfires I have to double check that last bit but I went out and got MAF cleaner cleaned it though I think that is unrelated to the problem, I have yet to run the scanner again, but I'm hoping someone has any idea where to go before I probably have to tow it to a shop.

2. Oct 20, 2021 at 11:23 AM
    Ccwave

Ccwave [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    So far it seems that it won't hold a charge

3. Oct 20, 2021 at 11:27 AM
    alb1k

alb1k Always Coming From Take Me Down

Member:
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    05 2WD DC w/ attitude
    It's good
    Bummer, what shape are your battery cables / terminals in? Bad ground?

Ccwave[OP] likes this.
  4. Oct 20, 2021 at 7:31 PM
    shifty`

shifty` Our private little trip to hell

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    What model of battery, and is it AGM?

But other than that, stupid ass question, did you check the engine bay fuse/relay box? See the diagram in the cover for info, should be obvs what to check.

alb1k, N84434 and Ccwave[OP] like this.
  5. Oct 21, 2021 at 5:39 AM
    N84434

N84434 In the Frozen Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Milwaukee WI.
    Vehicle:
    2001 Limited TRD
    It seems hard to believe you would get saddled with multiple bad Alternators, but anything is possible. I would also check grounds and battery terminals like @alb1k mentioned. A little corrosion goes a long way... The faulty codes for the misfire and MAF are no doubt being triggered due to low voltage in the system. So start looking for resistance between grounding points and the battery negative post. And make sure those battery terminals are clean and tight.

alb1k likes this.
  6. Oct 21, 2021 at 6:28 AM
    shifty`

shifty` Our private little trip to hell

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    It's an easy test to verify bad alt, OP just needs to measure positive side of alt to ground while engine is running.

I suspect the alternator fuse is shot, I think it's 120A? Maybe 140A, I forget. It's a high number in the engine bay fuse box, like 17 or 18?

If OP has a voltmeter, that's where I'd be testing regardless what kind of car: Across both posts of any charging-alt fuse or relay in the engine bay fuse box.

Edit: This thread may help. https://www.tundras.com/threads/battery-light-came-on-2006-tundra-dc-4x4.91996/

alb1k and N84434[QUOTED] like this.
  7. Dec 6, 2021 at 12:47 PM
    Ccwave

Ccwave [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    Alright so funny enough the solution to my problem was to clean the throttle body, I had checked my grounds, terminals and fuses everything was fine called a mechanic and eventually suggested to look at the throttle body I found it was filthy and she was running great again sorry for the late response back and thanks for all the help

N84434, w666, KNABORES and 1 other person like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top