1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

POR-15 as an undercoat upon delivery

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by FortyNorth, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Nov 29, 2021 at 6:31 PM
    FortyNorth

FortyNorth [OP] New Member

Member:
    Northern ON
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Super White SR5
    Considering a potential application of POR-15 to the underbody and various chassis components as a protection barrier and rust limiter as part of a number of new vehicle preservation strategies. Any thoughts or advice on this?

2. Nov 30, 2021 at 6:47 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    I am pretty sure por15 is best applied to properly prepared bare metal. Personally I would not use it for your application on a new truck. POR 15 is kind of thick and should no be used on any fasteners or anything else you may need to service or remove. It is really hard stuff, but if used in areas where chipping is a possibility, any chips can allow water to get in behind the product and you know what happens then.

Ive used it many times, on older frames, parts, etc and it is great for restoration, but I don't think it is the best option for what you want to do.

I believe that you would be better served using something like fluid film or a similar product for rust and corrosion protection.

3. Nov 30, 2021 at 7:05 AM
    Redacted

Redacted New Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 TRD
    3" level kit
    Don't do it. POR has very specific requirements for proper adhesion and there's basically no chance you can do proper prep without pulling the body and a ton of electronics. If anything, you'll scuff things up, leave bare metal and then get delamination of the coating, which will weep moisture and then cause much bigger problems. It's why you should never use heavy rubberized undercoating on your undercarriage.

Get the truck, get it up on blocks, grab a gallon of fluid film and go mental. The stuff is pure gold at preventing rust. My 03 Taco with the 5 year old "new frame" looks like an oily disaster but it doesn't look like a rusty disaster and that's not normal up here in New England. Got money and feel lazy, buy the 6-10 aerosol cans of the stuff and you'll get slightly less goopy results.

Products Discussed in

To Top