1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pontoon or Tri-toon?

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by NoKenDo, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Aug 12, 2018 at 8:39 AM
    NoKenDo

NoKenDo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Grand Rapids MI.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum 4x4 Mesquite Brown
    TRD Pro Suspension. Moonroof. Front window tint. Compustar Pro T11 remote starter. N-FAB running boards Bedrug Bedmat XLT DiamondBack HD Tonneau Weather Tech Window Visors
    My wife and I are in the market for a new or used (more likely) Tritoon.
    Do any of you guys or gals have any insight.
    We're considering a 40k budget. She wants one with a sundeck.
    My wants are a 150 hp motor minimum 23 foot max.
    Open to anyone for suggestions on motor make.
    Mercury, Evenrude, Yamaha, Suzuki or Honda

2. Aug 12, 2018 at 8:42 AM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    I only have knowledge from one I rented and going on a friends. Both were pontoon but the tritoons seem great. I would definitely go for 150hp, the one I rented was 75 and was a dog in any wind at all. And I think some extra money on a good 4 stroke. Probably honda will keep you happy for years and years

MotoTundra likes this.
  3. Aug 12, 2018 at 8:54 AM
    GreatAvalon

GreatAvalon New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Limited DC
    Evinrude's have a ridiculous warranty on them...10 years I think? I have always had Mercury's, but that E warranty is really cool. With outboard, the biggest thing is how close somewhere (good) to get it serviced or repaired is. There are no good Honda, Suzuki, or Evinrude service/repair shops near me. There are a few OK Yamaha shops, and 2 really good Mercury shops. So, I always have Mercury. If looking at the 150hp range, I agree with above, I'd consider a Merc 4 stroke or a Yami SHO (assuming good repair shops are close). Evinrude Etecs are 2-stroke, so wanting a 4 stroke would rule them out.

I'd narrow your motor list down to Mercury, Yamaha, and Evinrude, and then let your preferences and proximity to good shops guide you from there.

MotoTundra likes this.
  4. Aug 12, 2018 at 9:15 AM
    NoKenDo

NoKenDo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Grand Rapids MI.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro Suspension. Moonroof. Front window tint. Compustar Pro T11 remote starter. N-FAB running boards Bedrug Bedmat XLT DiamondBack HD Tonneau Weather Tech Window Visors
    Thanks for the reply's, Keep em coming.
    Most definitely a four stroke.

5. Aug 12, 2018 at 9:17 AM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4

As far as the hull, can't help there. Not too many of them around here and I've never personally run one.

But outboards I can give some input. Like others have said, this ultimately comes down to having a local dealer. Doesn't make any sense to buy a product that you need to trailer over an hour to get diagnostics done.

With that said...I am a maintenance supervisor for an entity that has a fleet of 25+ boats. All outboard, all between 18-50 feet. The boat maintenance is only a small part of my divisions job, but I know what works and what doesn't work for us. Our area has 1-3 dealers for every brand within a 30 minute drive, so dealer availability is not a factor at all. Price is a factor, we generally receive a fixed amount to spend on fleet upkeep and motor replacement each year. We run only 2 brands, Yamaha and Suzuki. This is based on a plethora of factors, but it really comes down to the fact that we pile 100's of hours on our boats each year. The Yamaha and Suzuki outboards have historically had a longer lifespan, fewer catastrophic failures, fewer repairs, and fewer lower drive failures. These boats are run hard and are expected to operate every single day.

I do not have a preference between the 2 brands when I make purchases or when we rig a new boat. I have a 175hp Suzuki on my personal boat. You will generally be able to get the same HP Suzuki for about 5-10% less than the equivalent Yamaha.

I'm not sure if this still stands true 100% of the time, but Suzuki is generally known for taking more displacement to produce the same horsepower. Therefore the weight may be a little higher, but the engine is under less strain. Think about a 400hp engine in a vehicle, a 400hp 4cylinder is going to be working a lot harder and be a lot more strung out than a 400hp V8, with that comes reliability.

I have been seeing more Evinrudes in our area. I see very few Mercury and Honda. Most center console boats around here are expected to go offshore regularly and reliability is a big part of that, take that for what it's worth.

MotoTundra and Sunnier like this.
  6. Aug 12, 2018 at 9:21 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Would twin 75hp or 100hp make any sense for you? Depending on where you're taking the boat it may be nice to have redundancy for making it back home.

Boerseun and OBXTundra like this.
  7. Aug 12, 2018 at 9:23 AM
    NoKenDo

NoKenDo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Grand Rapids MI.
    Vehicle:
    In two weeks we will be in Mooresville on Lake Norman.
    There will be fourteen of us staying in a house we rented (house sleeps 36)
    We are also renting a 26 foot pontoon with a 115 hp motor.
    I have no idea what brand boat or motor.

MotoTundra and Pudge like this.
  8. Aug 12, 2018 at 9:24 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    This will be a good gauge to decide on what you want and need for your own boat.

NoKenDo[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  9. Aug 12, 2018 at 9:25 AM
    NoKenDo

NoKenDo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Grand Rapids MI.
    Vehicle:
    I wouldn't rule out twins, but I have yet to see one with less than twin 250's.
    Too rich for my budget.

Pudge[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Aug 12, 2018 at 9:28 AM
    NoKenDo

NoKenDo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Grand Rapids MI.
    Vehicle:
    This is exactly what I thought. I want something that will push 40 mph.
    I'm sure the one we are renting will knot do that.

11. Aug 12, 2018 at 9:32 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I see what you did there...knot lol

40 will be tough on a pontoon. At least from my very limited experience renting and riding along in them. They are a ton of fun though, fish, swim, bbq, tubing, lots of options. The bimini tops can be like a sail in wind so keep that in mind. They are more usefull for sun than for rain if with rain comes wind. I saw a custom tritoon that the guy home made a full cover with walls made from canvas with windows it was bad ass. Also had an upper deck for sunning. Amazing boat up at lake George with twin 175s to push it along.

Sunnier likes this.
  12. Aug 12, 2018 at 9:33 AM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    Smaller HP twins are fairly common. We have twin 150's on many of our boats at work. I have seen a few smaller cats around here with twin 75's or 100's.

Besides redundancy, the largest benefit to twins is how easy it makes operating the boat at low speeds. Docking, maneuvering in tight harbors, or beaching the boat becomes very easy when you have the ability to "pivot" the boat and make a zero degree turn. Anytime I run a boat at work it has twins, my personal boat is a single, it's always a wake-up call when I hop on my boat on the weekends.

Pudge likes this.
  13. Aug 12, 2018 at 9:37 AM
    NoKenDo

NoKenDo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Grand Rapids MI.
    Vehicle:
    This probably sounds silly but... Do twin 75's equal the same speed as that of a single 150?

14. Aug 12, 2018 at 9:42 AM
    Jengel451

Jengel451 Misanthropist

Member:
    The Bitterroot, MT
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona TRD Limited CrewMax
    3/1.5 Toytec/Icon AAL, 17" Rebounds, 317-70-70 ST Maxx's
    Just rented a 22' tritoon with a 150 4 stroke. Way smoother than a pontoon. About as short as I would go and the 150 was good for pulling the kids around on a tube. I wouldnt go with any less hp for what we did with 4 adults and 2 teenagers.

15. Aug 12, 2018 at 10:08 AM
    BayRunner

BayRunner I’m here, except when I’m not

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platinum
    I serve this industry and I would strongly suggest a deck boat over a pontoon. Deck boats are kinda like Tindras and hold their value better. Pontoons depreciate quickly.

16. Aug 12, 2018 at 10:09 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    This I can not answer. I bet @OBXTundra knows though

17. Aug 12, 2018 at 10:10 AM
    Jengel451

Jengel451 Misanthropist

Member:
    The Bitterroot, MT
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona TRD Limited CrewMax
    3/1.5 Toytec/Icon AAL, 17" Rebounds, 317-70-70 ST Maxx's
    And thats why I'm lookong for a used Toon. They do drop quick, let someone else take the hit.

Black Wolf and Pudge like this.
  18. Aug 12, 2018 at 10:13 AM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
  19. Aug 12, 2018 at 10:13 AM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    I don't have any knowledge to offer you OP, but I'm excited for you and your family. Time on the water is absolutely priceless!

20. Aug 12, 2018 at 11:13 AM
    NoKenDo

NoKenDo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Grand Rapids MI.
    Vehicle:
    They make it look fun, all those beautiful people.
    If you see us you would not think of that video.
    #fatpeopleonalittleboat

Sunnier[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Aug 12, 2018 at 11:32 AM
    BayRunner

BayRunner I’m here, except when I’m not

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platinum
    Good call if your looking in the used market. Frequently, the engine is worth more than the boat.

22. Aug 12, 2018 at 11:33 AM
    GreatAvalon

GreatAvalon New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Limited DC
    I can see twins for redundancy if on the coast and salt water. On a lake, the benefit isn't there IMO. OP, go out to a busy boat ramp at the body of water you're likely to frequent and see what kind of pontoons are out there. Or better yet, use the one you rented next weekend and go driving around boat docks to check it out. I can tell you that I've seen way, way more pontoons with 250hp motors than with dual anythings. Come to think of it, I've never seen a pontoon with duals on any of the bodies of water I've been on in my entire life. But I'm not near the coast and I know redundancy duals is a big thing when you're talking ocean.

So yea, duals are way overkill IMO. You're just generally not going that far to make it a necessity. But I'm from the bass boat world where I'll run 70+ miles each way at 70+ MPH with one motor, full throttle, full trim without thinking twice.

Sunnier likes this.
  23. Aug 12, 2018 at 11:49 AM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    I think the tritoons are supposed to handle much better compared to pontoons. We rented a 23' tritoon this summer with a 150hp Mercury 4-stroke and I thought it had plenty of power, even with 9 people on it. I don't have experience with all of those motors, but a friend of ours has a 20+ year old Evinrude on his runabout and it's still going strong...

24. Aug 12, 2018 at 11:54 AM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    The simple answer would be yes. But the real physics to any engine combo/configuration is the prop size, material, pitch, and blade count. If you really want to get lost on the internet today start reading about boat props and the engineering behind them.

I'll agree that twins on a lake boat are overkill. But I still like them for low speed, docking, and tight harbors. I've also not seen twins on a pontoon, probably exists?

I'll also agree with another poster about a deck boat, something like a hurricane. I like that configuration and I actually see quite a few down here. A deck boat will just plane handle the water better than a pontoon.

25. Aug 12, 2018 at 11:54 AM
    Over the LINE

Over the LINE New Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited CM 4 x 4
    Toytec -Duratrac -Expedition One-Fab Fours
    I can't help you with pontoon boats but I have owned/used every make of motor you can think of. I love my 150 Yamaha 4 stroke, my 50 Yamaha 2 stroke was great. Mercury/Mariner engines have left me stranded more times that I can count. My old 2 stroke OMC's were pretty good. Buddies with E-Tec's like them but they sure seem to be in the shop a lot. We run Suzuki's on all our Yacht Club support boats. We just retired a 14 year old 200 4 stroke with 3500 hard hours. Zero serious failures in its life. We get about the same out of our smaller Suzuki. I even own a small Nissan. It has been pretty bulletproof.

OBXTundra likes this.
  26. Aug 12, 2018 at 12:00 PM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    OBXTundra[QUOTED] and Black Wolf like this.
  27. Aug 12, 2018 at 6:00 PM
    NoKenDo

NoKenDo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Grand Rapids MI.
    Vehicle:
    Wife and I went and spent a couple of hours on the channel in Grand Haven, MI.
    Watching pontoon boats go by. Mostly Bennington with smaller motors.
    Zero twin engine configurations. More Mercury and Yamaha 1 Suzuki 1 old Evenrude.
    Most appeared to be under 100 hp. We did see a couple of high end tri-toons.
    The real search begins when we get home from vacation. I wanted to post a few pictures but
    my phone will not connect to my Surface Pro and it wont send out an email either.

28. Aug 12, 2018 at 6:49 PM
    Lake.Life24

Lake.Life24 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Upstate, NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 3500HD Gasser
    I have a 24ft Harris pontoon with 115hp Mercury. Go with the tritoon with the largest Yamaha motor you can afford. It will be worth it. I love my boat but the 115 is lacking for a boat that size and I’ve always been a fan of Yamaha outboards, but no complaints for Mercury

29. Aug 13, 2018 at 1:07 AM
    NoKenDo

NoKenDo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Grand Rapids MI.
    Vehicle:
    This is where we were last night. Effing phone works great this morning.20180812_181616_resized.jpg 20180812_181624_resized.jpg 20180812_181629_resized.jpg

30. Aug 13, 2018 at 1:26 AM
    easleycrawler

easleycrawler TOYOTA ADDICT- SSEM #78

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Easley, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra SR5 DC Black 5.7

Products Discussed in

To Top