1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Plumbing OBA - Best place for pressure switch?

Discussion in 'Recovery & Gear' started by AdamK, Feb 11, 2023.

1. Feb 11, 2023 at 7:31 PM
    AdamK

AdamK [OP] New Member

Member:
    I’m slowly but steadily installing an on-board air system between other projects and priorities.

I’ve mounted an ARB CKMA12 (the little compressor) in the engine bay in the usual spot behind the air intake. In the hollow in front of the driver side rear wheel is my 1.5 gallon Viair tank.

The plan is to plumb the compressor to the tank with 3/8” soft copper. Nothing is wired yet.

The question is, would it pose any problem to install the pressure switch off the manifold coming out of the compressor, or should I just install it in the tank and run two-conductor to the engine bay?

Logically, I can’t foresee any issue putting the pressure switch off the manifold - keeping it in engine bay really simplifies the wiring. Thinking that 3/8” copper shouldn’t be restrictive to the point that the switch would be subject to tripping before the tank is filled to pressure. Am I thinking about this the right way?

2. Feb 11, 2023 at 7:56 PM
    VWTim

VWTim Mid-Travel Crew

Member:
    Corvallis, OR / Austin, TX
    Engine bay mounting should be just fine. If it shuts off a tiny bit early, it'll just cycle again. I'd consider plastic "poly" tubing and push lockt Fittings vs. copper. But both should work.

3. Feb 11, 2023 at 9:43 PM
    AdamK

AdamK [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks - right, it’s the cycling that I want to minimize. A blip or two as the tank gets near capacity isn’t going to trouble me too much.

I’ve gone back and forth on poly tubing - it would sure be easier to route, the fittings are much simpler to work with, and makes for easy repairs. Copper is expensive and can be tricky to bend, but it’s durable and I’m very comfortable working with flare fittings.

4. Feb 11, 2023 at 9:52 PM
    FrenchToasty

FrenchToasty The Desert rat, 6 lug enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4.88s Elocker and some other trippy stuff
    None
    Put the pressure fitting on the compressor and run your air lines to the tank, it’s going to cycle regardless. And use the poly tubing like Tim mentioned, I love copper, I bathe in it, but the push fittings are so much easier, some have swivels. None of mine have failed and I run mine in AZ where it’s hotter than the chattahoochee

AdamK[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Feb 11, 2023 at 10:38 PM
    AdamK

AdamK [OP] New Member

Member:
    Pressure switch on manifold is decided - thanks guys.

You two have really got me rethinking the poly option. I was looking at fittings this evening. They’re cheap, they swivel, they’re reusable, solid reviews - what’s not to like about them. Up until now, I figured poly tubing meant barbed fittings and clamps. I’m warming up to these Push to Connect fittings.

FrenchToasty[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Feb 11, 2023 at 10:45 PM
    FrenchToasty

FrenchToasty The Desert rat, 6 lug enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4.88s Elocker and some other trippy stuff
    None
    I’ve got it ran from a swivel 90 out of my dual arb, all the way back to the bumper where I have a 5gal tank, (water separator before the tank) and up into the bed with a female chuck. Then I have a 2 tire inflate hose going on. All with poly tube and fittings

AdamK[QUOTED][OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top