1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Platinum vs Pro?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Rngr188, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Nov 23, 2019 at 9:18 PM
    Rngr188

Rngr188 [OP] Ranked the best new member of all time

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Harrison AR
    Vehicle:
    2020 1794 MGM TRD OR
    I've stated lately that I'm considering trading my 17 Limited for a 20 Platinum. But then there's the Pro. Now I feel like the pro is a SR5 which comes with leather seats, sunroof, and an overpriced suspension. With that said owning a Pro seems to put you in a special class due to its limited production and higher resale value. Now I realize both sticker for basically the same but the Platinum can be haggled where the Pro not really. Am I right in thinking that I could buy a Platinum and put a better suspension plus wheels and bigger tires (Pro would need different and larger tires anyway over OEM) and have a truck with much more creature comforts that I like and a better suspension for just a tad more in total cost?

Bigboitundra likes this.
  2. Nov 23, 2019 at 9:22 PM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    If you have any intent of upgrading the suspension, the Pro would be a waste IMO. You would be paying a premium for mostly cosmetic features at that point. If you get a deal on the Platinum you could upgrade the suspension and potentially come out ahead overall.

3. Nov 23, 2019 at 9:24 PM
    plinyyounger

plinyyounger New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    19, Tundra limited TRD off road
    I almost bought the pro myself, but just wanted the creature comforts, for me, they outweighed the pluses the pro has.

4. Nov 23, 2019 at 9:34 PM
    mech_engineer09

mech_engineer09 Tundra Enthusiast

Member:
    Ohio/Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Platinum
    Ceramic Pro, XPEL Ultimate Plus, Woolwax Undercoating, Diamondback HD, TRD Air Intake, TRD Skid Plate, TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar
    I was debating the same thing. I ended up going with the platinum. Much easier to change the things you want on there and make it more like a pro than to change the pro into a platinum. The interior is so much nicer on the platinum. If you’re gonna upgrade the suspension in the future there’s no point in getting a pro.

5. Nov 24, 2019 at 4:39 AM
    ssls6

ssls6 Dr. Awesome

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    South Park, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro CM
    Bakflip, Bedstep, Gulfstate stuff
    I recently went through this decision on my 2020 purchase. Over the last 40 years I've owned 3 F-150, and now 3 Tundras (tend to switch back and forth).

For me, it boiled down to auto-fold mirrors and parking sonar vs a factory lift/shock package. On the plat I really wanted those features (mirror/sonar) but I did NOT like the diamond stitching (looked like quilt to me). On the pro I really like the suspension, wheels, red stitching, and body effects but it was missing nice features...in the end for me, the Pro won out.

Why?
    Warranty....when you lift a vehicle on your own you run a risk for any future warranty work around the driveline.
    Resale...modifying a stock vehicle almost always negatively impacts resale (an unfortunate fact)

Even with full knowledge of the negatives, I still almost went that way. Good luck with your decision.

ZappBrannigan likes this.
  6. Nov 24, 2019 at 4:52 AM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    Those are all some valid points to consider. I wouldn't say that the modifications negatively impact resale, but you will certainly never add to the resale through mods. I just :facepalm:when I see classified ads for a 2 year old vehicle listed 2k below MSRP because the idiot selling it thinks his mods add value. The only way to get anything out of mods when selling is to pull them off, sell the vehicle stock, and part out the mods. That being said, I'm not being real hesitant about mods because I have no intention of selling this truck. Makes the concern over resale moot for me.

MAGDADDY likes this.
  7. Nov 24, 2019 at 4:53 AM
    captainnemojr

captainnemojr New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra 1794 4x4
    I would like to see Toyota offer a "Premium" package option to the Pro that gave you all the options of a Platinum/1794. That way it's optional for those who want it. Unfortunately Toyota doesn't have as much customization as other brands when it comes to "build and price." I wanted a TRD Off-Road package for my 1794, but it only came in gray. The Raptor has some of those options if you choose that package from Ford. I'm glad the Pro got dual climate control. I do use my truck off road, but it's only 5% of the time. Most of the time it's the family hauler on trips.

8. Nov 24, 2019 at 5:20 AM
    spyshot

spyshot New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    I also went platinum over Pro because of the creature comfort’s. I did not like the quilted stitching on the seats in the pictures, but in person I was really impressed and love them. Love the folding mirrors, parking sensors, auto headlights and All kinds of extra stuff that I didn’t even know it had. And the truck still cost less than a pro.

9. Nov 24, 2019 at 5:30 AM
    Crunch527

Crunch527 Brute Force and Ignorance

Member:
    Iowa
    TRD Supercharger/BAM
    No doubt Platinum...the Pro is cool but I spend 98% of the time on pavement and trying to “shoehorn” into parking spots. Folding mirrors alone win the day.

mundra likes this.
  10. Nov 24, 2019 at 6:03 AM
    szabo101

szabo101 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ED
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Platinum 4WD
    So many of us in the same boat. I personally love the Pro looks and color options and suspension. But ultimately got a fantastic deal on my Platinum and there were no Pros in '18. Still look at the Pros, and each year they are getting closer with the creature comforts.

MAGDADDY likes this.
  11. Nov 24, 2019 at 6:12 AM
    alpinepro4

alpinepro4 What is your MPG Today!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement DC
    Baja Designs Squadron Sport Fog lights, ARE CX Series Topper, Alcan Springs , DAP Tune, Coach Builder +1 Shackles, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED bulbs, HR LED interior bulbs. General Grabber ATX 275/70/R18
    Go Pro if you want the suspension and unique interior, re sell price will be higher then a platinum. The suspension is bad ass and buttery smooth. If you like to mash off road worth every penny. If you are more a street princess go platinum all the way. I bought pro because I wanted the suspension and interior and bed stamp, and no chrome. Didn’t care about all the other fluff you get with a limited or platinum. Either way you will be stoked, these are great trucks, but thirsty but great truck.

shellshock and Y0TA PR0 like this.
  12. Nov 24, 2019 at 6:20 AM
    PaulROahu

PaulROahu New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kaneohe, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2017 5.7 Tundra Platinum 4x4 MGM
    Platinum for all the luxury features. 98% pavement use. Best feature dual climate seat

40C642B2-E38E-41EA-9B19-A5B92D4D1F00.jpg

ZappBrannigan and TundraDude18 like this.
  13. Nov 24, 2019 at 6:53 AM
    BehindenemylinesCali

BehindenemylinesCali New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    NORCAL
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    Locker Down console safe Bakflip MX4 Spray in bed Bilstein 6112 Bilstein 5160 2019 TRD Pro wheels
    I went platinum in 2018 and threw on a set of bilstein shocks all the way around. Leveled the truck with em which was just the front coming up 1.9 inches. Now it's pretty much as capable as my neighbor's TRD Pro minus the exhaust and rear sway.

MAGDADDY likes this.
  14. Nov 24, 2019 at 7:59 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    In my opinion, the primary advantage of the Pro is that you can get it in Army Green. But a truck can always be painted. If you're thinking Platinum, the 2019s are $10k off and all they seem to have left is Platinums (around here, anyway).

GODZILLA and Toyotoholic like this.
  15. Nov 24, 2019 at 7:59 AM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    This debate has gone on for years now. We all like, and want the PRO because we love Toyota trucks and the PRO is the "unicorn" of the line.
    But when it comes to using our brains for spending a shitload of money on a truck, we also want to get the most for that money. And here is where the divide is. There are those who must have the PRO just because it is the PRO, and they will not drive any version of a faux PRO. (Pro parts on a nonPro). The other people realize there are far more usable everyday features (for this instance a Platinum) and these features along with the ability to add Pro parts to any trim level, put that buyer into the most common place.... DUH, get a Platinum and be happy, it doesn't have to have a bed stamp to be cool!

Buy the Platinum if you are going to keep your truck longer. Mod it up and love every feature.

Buy the PRO if you have to have your ego rubbed when you say "Yes, it's a real PRO. See, look at the bedstamp and my red stitching".

Just an option.
    I drove both, loved the way the PRO suspension felt, but hated the stripped down feel of everything else. Drove the Platinum and loved everything except the suspension. Told the dealership I'll take the Platinum with the PRO suspension.

Done.

16. Nov 24, 2019 at 8:27 AM
    MAGDADDY

MAGDADDY TTC #280

Member:
    First Name:
    JON
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    18 Platinum CM MGM
    Leer 100XL, Bedrug, Go Rhino running boards, LED int/ext lighting, Bilstein 6112/5100 1/2”shims up front, Coachbuilder +3 shackles, CB drop, TRD front/rear sway bar, 275/65/20 Michelin LTX M/S 2, sequoia painted mirror cap/door handles, Rago Fab low pro ditch brackets, Baja Designs S2 sports ditch lights. Baja Designs S2 sport rear flush mount pod
    82197D50-19FC-4D2F-942E-40DF1E113ECB.jpg
    Exactly my issue 2 years ago. Walked in told the sales guy I was looking for a pro and they didn’t have one at the moment so we looked at limited and platinums. I had never had a truck with so many options and I kinda fell quick for the platinum knowing I could change the suspension and have it all! 2 years later I’ve got my platinum right where I want it with more mods to come of course. Plus it’s nice to have heated seats while you’re cruising the trails.

TundraDude18 and Toyotoholic like this.
  17. Nov 24, 2019 at 9:34 AM
    ssls6

ssls6 Dr. Awesome

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    South Park, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro CM
    Bakflip, Bedstep, Gulfstate stuff
    My 2020 has seat heaters, dual climate, ....it just doesn't have sonar (and all that entails like BSM, CTA), and power fold mirrors. Since the OP was asking about 2020 models, I think it's relevant.

Full disclosure, I also own a FJ trail teams 2014. The same arguments were often had there with phrases like "ego stroked" etc.

Screen Shot 2019-11-24 at 11.18.36 AM.jpg

The options were definitely lower in 2019, the dealer wanted me to go 2019 but I didn't. The only diff with a plat I could see is CarPlay.

NewImprovedRon and MAGDADDY like this.
  18. Nov 24, 2019 at 9:42 AM
    MAGDADDY

MAGDADDY TTC #280

Member:
    First Name:
    JON
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    18 Platinum CM MGM
    Leer 100XL, Bedrug, Go Rhino running boards, LED int/ext lighting, Bilstein 6112/5100 1/2”shims up front, Coachbuilder +3 shackles, CB drop, TRD front/rear sway bar, 275/65/20 Michelin LTX M/S 2, sequoia painted mirror cap/door handles, Rago Fab low pro ditch brackets, Baja Designs S2 sports ditch lights. Baja Designs S2 sport rear flush mount pod
    there is really no wrong or right answer, it’s all personal preference or need. Yea I get it, there’s guys out there that are over opinionated on what they like, but is all preference and if you’re happy with what you’ve bought then that’s all that matters. Oh and that Army Green is looking really good!

19. Nov 24, 2019 at 10:06 AM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    This ^^^

"... personal preference or need."

No bad choice!

MAGDADDY[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Nov 24, 2019 at 10:11 AM
    alpinepro4

alpinepro4 What is your MPG Today!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement DC
    Baja Designs Squadron Sport Fog lights, ARE CX Series Topper, Alcan Springs , DAP Tune, Coach Builder +1 Shackles, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED bulbs, HR LED interior bulbs. General Grabber ATX 275/70/R18
    Did you get Pro Fox suspension? As far as I know you can’t get the Fox suspension unless you have Pro Vin# Toyota won’t sell it.
    Wait just realized you have 17 Platinum. Toyota would sell you Pro suspension back then.

Toyotoholic[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Nov 24, 2019 at 10:59 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I'd just like to point out that even the standard SR5 has come with heated seats for at least the last couple years.

MAGDADDY[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Nov 24, 2019 at 11:31 AM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    17 was the Bilstein Pro shocks. I also did PRO F&R sway bars and TRD dual exhaust all before I took delivery to retain my full 125k warranty.

23. Nov 24, 2019 at 12:15 PM
    MAGDADDY

MAGDADDY TTC #280

Member:
    First Name:
    JON
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    18 Platinum CM MGM
    Good to know, Although I do remember lying to my wife telling her the heated seats were only on the platinum and that’s why I had to buy it :rofl:

24. Nov 24, 2019 at 12:27 PM
    Rngr188

Rngr188 [OP] Ranked the best new member of all time

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Harrison AR
    Vehicle:
    2020 1794 MGM TRD OR
    Really my main want's are power heated leather seats and dual climate control all for my wife. As far as suspension I may go crazy with Icon, King, Fox, ADS, or I might go simple with 6112/5160. After another thread finding out that the 1794 seats are the same cushioning as the Platinum I may consider that as they come in the TRD Off Road which I have on my Limited and I really like the wheels. If I choose the Platinum I would definitely change wheels or see if the dealer would swap my TRD wheels and put the Platinum wheels on my trade minus some $$. The main thing for me was after driving a Platinum the seats were so plush feeling compared to my Limited.

25. Nov 24, 2019 at 1:07 PM
    dac15

dac15 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax Platinum
    I was in the used market and faced the exact same dilemma. Decided on a 2016 Platinum, and now I'm working on the suspension upgrades. What really did it for me was realizing I'm buying it to occasionally tow a horse trailer, not bomb over sand dunes, so I'm customizing the suspension accordingly. I'll basically end up with a Pro Platinum that tows great.

Toyotoholic likes this.
  26. Nov 24, 2019 at 1:43 PM
    plumber802

plumber802 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Platinum CM
    The best advice of this entire thread!!!

OR18TRD[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Nov 24, 2019 at 1:59 PM
    panicfishwater

panicfishwater New Member

Member:
    Platinum 2020! Added kings.

netranger6, CCATT-RN, mundra and 6 others like this.
  28. Nov 24, 2019 at 2:08 PM
    Leetomnsx

Leetomnsx New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra Platinum
    Air lift, black out emblems, wheels, tonneau cover, tires, led lighting, hidden step rail, remote start.
    You have things from factory you can't add economically on the Platinum and you can add all the Pro items or even better items to the Platinum. Resale the Pro will win, but I bought this one to for fun. I have a 2010 CM I drive for work. Sway bars best uogrades if your not off roading for the dollar.

20191026_161339.jpg

plumber802 and GODZILLA like this.
  29. Nov 24, 2019 at 2:14 PM
    bensky

bensky PlatinumPro

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2018 Red Platinum Tundra
    ZappBrannigan and Leetomnsx like this.
  30. Nov 24, 2019 at 2:54 PM
    mech_engineer09

mech_engineer09 Tundra Enthusiast

Member:
    Ohio/Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Platinum
    Ceramic Pro, XPEL Ultimate Plus, Woolwax Undercoating, Diamondback HD, TRD Air Intake, TRD Skid Plate, TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar
    Yeah only if you’re color blind

Products Discussed in

To Top