1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Platinum radio with Nav.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by XPTUNDRA, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Apr 26, 2018 at 3:22 AM
    XPTUNDRA

XPTUNDRA [OP] New Member

Member:
    North MS
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Limited
    4" Pro Comp Lift 35x12.50x20 Toyo RT's 20x9 +20 Fuel Mavericks Rough Country soft tri-fold bed cover LED headlight and Fogs with LEDs throughout the cab as well
    Quick question for the awesome minds of Tundra Nation. Will a Platinum radio with Nav fit a SR5 that did not come with Nav? Same size? Are there any plug and play set ups that will work? I'm not a fan of the app you have to run (scout GPS link) It's awful IMO

2. Apr 26, 2018 at 3:48 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    I don't know if it will fit, but don't spend too much money on it - not worth it. The Entune Nav is not much better than the Scout thing. I have the premium Entune and I think it sucks. I use my phone (Google maps) rather than the truck's nav. because it is a lot easier.

3. Apr 26, 2018 at 3:58 AM
    XPTUNDRA

XPTUNDRA [OP] New Member

Member:
    North MS
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Limited
    4" Pro Comp Lift 35x12.50x20 Toyo RT's 20x9 +20 Fuel Mavericks Rough Country soft tri-fold bed cover LED headlight and Fogs with LEDs throughout the cab as well
    Thanks for the reply and info. Very helpful. Would I be better off getting aftermarket ? Or learning to live with it and move on to something else for the truck?

4. Apr 26, 2018 at 4:29 AM
    ardnutoz

ardnutoz

Member:
    First Name:
    OZ
    SE-PA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black TRD OR CM Limited
    I guess it depends on how much that unit costs. If you wana stay stock while adding functionality (use that word losely) and you can plug n play a stock unit for say 350 to 450 it may be worth the effort. I have a limited with the premium unit and it sounds ok enough but only when i stream music through the Amazon music app. All others dont seem to sound the same. Speaker setup will obviously matter. Dont know what an SR5 has vs a limited. I do know the limited has a sub built in. (Didnt know it until i used the amazon music app and it drove in some bass)

XPTUNDRA[OP] likes this.
  5. Apr 26, 2018 at 4:33 AM
    seniramsu

seniramsu Pro Runnin

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Tundra Wht
    Imo just get an aftermarket hu if you are considering it. As stated prior there are better options for nav. Plus an aftermarket hu will provide way better sound to your stock unit.

XPTUNDRA[OP] likes this.
  6. Apr 26, 2018 at 5:06 AM
    ninjajay

ninjajay Posting from the toilet

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Spoolston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM 1794 TRD 4x4
    Toytec/Radflo Lift, Ambit RS02 18x9+0, Bridgestone Revo 3 295/70/18
    Unless you're getting it for free or nearly free, don't bother

XPTUNDRA[OP] likes this.
  7. Apr 26, 2018 at 5:35 AM
    rustynail11

rustynail11 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Mansfield,TX (DFW Area)
    Vehicle:
    2017 Grey Tundra TRD
    I just did this and yes it will fit and it should be plug and play if you have the Entune Plus that has the scout app. The Plus unit already has a GPS antenna so you won't need to add one. It took me 20 minutes to swap out the headunit and I know little to nothing about car electronics. Before this the last unit I installed was a Pioneer Supertuner in my 1973 Super Beetle.

Unlike others I have no issues with the Premium headunit. If I had to spend a lot of $$ (wife would kill me if I did) on one I would probably go aftermarket but if you can get a good deal on a Premium unit I would go for it. The functionality in the Premium unit is far superior to the Plus Unit. The integrated Nav is no better or worse than any other vehicle I have owned and much better than using my phone, but then I have always hated using my phone for Nav when I am driving. I am also not a crazy audiophile so the sound quality of the Premium unit is fine for me and enjoy this unit much more than the stock.

XPTUNDRA[OP] likes this.
  8. Apr 26, 2018 at 12:35 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    I guess it is personal preference. While the Nav and Entune is not necessarily worse than some other manufacturers' systems, it is still a pain to program the nav. Enter City - slowly, or it will lag behind your fingers. Then enter the street one slow letter at a time, then the street number. Then you realize there is no option for East or West, and it takes you to the wrong location. On my phone I can enter an address in Google maps in seconds. On my way to a meeting the address is already shown in the calendar, so I just click on it and it takes me there. If I upgrade , it would be a head unit that can mirror my phone, like some of the Apple Carplay or Android Auto systems.

XPTUNDRA[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top