1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Plastic Dip

Discussion in '2nd Gen Builds (2007-2013)' started by Part_time, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Jun 6, 2018 at 8:38 PM
    Part_time

Part_time [OP] New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Mica BronzTundra
    If you use plastic dip, do you have to be careful when washing? How about pressure washers?
    Anyone use the gloss on it? Any tips or suggestions let me know.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  2. Jun 7, 2018 at 6:01 AM
    ARamirez73

ARamirez73 RIDIN' THE RAILS ON A CRAZY TRAIN

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    THE LONE STAR STATE...TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2014 CM TSS MGM 4WD SR5 5.7FF
    Rough Country 6" lift / 35x12.50R20 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx/ 20x9 +20 Fuel wheels "Mavericks" (Came with) / S&B CAI/ 2-10" Rockford Fosgates R2/ Massive Audio Nano N2 amp (Came with)/ KatSkins seat covers (Came with)/ Weathertechs window vent visors and floor mats/ 1A-AUTO.com aftermarket tow mirrors/ Undercover tonneau bed cover/ Viper alarm 3305V/ Flowmaster Super 40 Dual in-out/ 40" led light bar/ TRD Pro grille/Rough Country 30" LED light bar/TRD rear sway bar/ Ranch Hand legend grille gaurd
    Plastidip where? Badges, grille, bumper ends, I have my badges done, 5 coats, I don't get right on it with pressure washer from (carwash) maybe about a foot away but no issues, did my badges in 2016 still holding up as for gloss no

3. Jun 7, 2018 at 6:10 AM
    Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf ELITE Grey Wolf Crew

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2007 Slate Metallic 5.7L Tundra DC SR5 4X4
    18"X9" FN BFD's rims, 295/70R/18E Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's, and S/T Maxx's, upgraded to Old Man EMU coil-overs/shocks. Toytec shackles. Custom dual true dual exhaust. Body Armor Rock Steps, Smittybilt X20 winch, DV8 winch bumper
    I recently Plasti Dipped my rear chrome bumper. 5 or 6 coats. I was some what skeptical how it would hold up. Recently went wheeling and only got a few minor surface scratches with spruce limbs rubbing on each ends at different times during the day. Holds up well at high pressure car wash. I am hand washing my truck now. Plasti Dip is the real deal...

4x4_Angel likes this.
  4. Jun 7, 2018 at 6:21 AM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Tundra Fanatic

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Dip may rock chip, the beauty is smooth it down with paint thinner using a gloved finger and spray over like new. And is reversible, can be peeled all off.

Like vinyl wrap, I wouldn’t shoot at it at high pressure, it’ll handle fan mode off a 1600psi PW.

Glossifier will give it sheen but it won’t look like color matched paint the way wrap does.

4x4_Angel likes this.
  5. Jun 7, 2018 at 7:40 AM
    NewImprovedRon

NewImprovedRon SouthBoundSteve Fan Club President

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red TSS Doublecab 4X4 Off Road
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    I wash parts I've PlastiDipped with a wash mitt. Haven't had any issues in almost 3 years. No sense in spaying directly with high pressure hose/pressure washer and tempting the Gods. It will hold up if you take care of it for what it is and apply enough coats on the front end.

rons23 likes this.
  6. Jun 7, 2018 at 7:50 AM
    NWMontanaMan

NWMontanaMan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My TRD wheels and badges are plastidipped and are holding up great for over a year now. I get right down on the wheels with a 3000 psi pressure washer and no peeling. I’m a little more careful with the badges but I’m impressed with the way they are holding up.

7. Jun 7, 2018 at 8:00 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Super White

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 White TRD Sport CrewMax 4x4
    I have been using a pressure washer on it without issues. Only when there is a chip mark in the dip the pressure can get through it and under and mess things up. I do use the glossifier - it adds a little gloss, but more important it provides UV protection to keep the black from turning gray in the sun.
    If you want to try other brands, the Duplicolor dip equivalent has a better spray nozzle and gives a smoother texture - almost like paint, while Plasti Dip is more of a rubberized texture. The Duplicolor is a little more difficult to remove though in my experience - which is good if you want to use a pressure washer on it; not good if you want to one day remove it.

8. Jun 7, 2018 at 8:05 AM
    joonbug

joonbug bacon bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra DC 5.7 TRD off-road
    After about a year my dipped grille peeled a little when I hit it with a pressure washer. And the dipped wheels and grille always looked dirty and were a bitch to keep clean. Finally got rid of all my dipped parts. I will never use plastidip on my truck again, it’s just not a good permanent solution.

9. Jun 7, 2018 at 8:11 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Super White

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 White TRD Sport CrewMax 4x4
    Agreed. I see it as a good way to experiment to see if you like a black grill or black wheels, to then go ahead and use real paint if you like it or just remove if you don't. I have also used it as temporary bug protection (we get love bugs here twice a year which etch into your paint if you leave it on for longer than a few days, and they are a real bitch to remove). I spray the front end (bumpers, fillers under headlights, grill surround) with dip when I see the first bugs appear and leave it on for the 3-4 weeks until the bugs just magically disappear again. I have not done that on the Tundra yet, but will next season. I used to have an Explorer with all white bumpers and grill surround, and that was the best way to keep in in good condition.

joonbug likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top