1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Plan my next trip

Discussion in 'Texas' started by boudain, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Sep 4, 2020 at 6:58 AM
    boudain

boudain [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black - SR5 - CrewMax - 4x4 - TSS Off Road
    Next spring break my wife and kid will be out of town on a girls vacation. I’m planning on a multi day camping trip but not sure where. Big bend is always on my list but I’m thinking maybe Gila or RMNP or even Moab. What would be a great one day drive from south Texas for some light off roaring and camping solo?

Go!

2. Sep 7, 2020 at 1:17 AM
    The Patriot 1776

The Patriot 1776 Asskick Fabrication: Shit Is Sick!

Member:
    Great State Of TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    Solo? Not Big Bend. I’ve been to both the NP and BBRSP. They may not even let you go to BBRSP by yourself. While BBRSP is really kick ass, it is extremely desolate and not a great idea to go solo. From south Texas, look to NM. Everything else is further than you’re looking for (one day drive).

boudain[OP] likes this.
  3. Sep 9, 2020 at 11:57 AM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky DC SR5 5.7L 4x4 TSS Package
    TRD Rear Anti-sway bar, TRD Pro skid plate, Bedrug bed mat, 17" Icon Rebounds, 315/70/17 BFG AT/K02, Bilstein 6112s front (for now), Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoirs rear, Diamondback SE, Dirtydeeds Industries 8" stainless BAMuffler, aFe dry air filter, TRD air intake accelerator
    Not sure you can get to RMNP or Moab in one day from south TX, but I may be misunderstanding your question. Anyway, my son and I did Big Bend NP about 4 years ago and had a blast. My only regret is that we haven’t been back yet.

Another option is Palo Duro Canyon. No off-roading trails that I know of there, but it has some nice hiking trails.

boudain[OP] likes this.
  4. Sep 9, 2020 at 12:08 PM
    boudain

boudain [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Vehicle:
    Big bend is great. Last year I did it (stayed in Terlingua) and had a n amazing time. I might do it again. But I’m considering going to the Gila or RMNP or something else. Ideally it would be something I can drive to in a day. Somewhere I can get the wheels dirty bit not too fearful of getting stuck since I’ll likely be alone.

5. Sep 11, 2020 at 4:37 AM
    Djone27

Djone27 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Crewmax TSS 4x4
    HID Headlights, full LEDs, TRD front and rear sway bars, CB +2s, Eibach Stage 2s, SABM w/ pro intake tube
    Not much help here but RMNP in 1 day is pushing it big time depending on where you are. My parents are in CO Springs and it's a full 17hrs straight there factoring in gas and food stops from Houston. RMNP is a couple hours further north and add in the decent possibility of snow, it's a 2 day drive. I've done Houston to CO Springs and vice versa straight thru. That is not an easy drive without resting (especially with 2/3 kids).

boudain[OP] likes this.
  6. Sep 11, 2020 at 4:45 AM
    boudain

boudain [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Vehicle:
    RMNP is on my list. It’s a longer drive but might be worth it. Was also looking at the Gila national forest too.

7. Sep 11, 2020 at 6:41 AM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD Rear Anti-sway bar, TRD Pro skid plate, Bedrug bed mat, 17" Icon Rebounds, 315/70/17 BFG AT/K02, Bilstein 6112s front (for now), Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoirs rear, Diamondback SE, Dirtydeeds Industries 8" stainless BAMuffler, aFe dry air filter, TRD air intake accelerator
    DFW to Santa Fe National Forest can be done in one day (about 10 hours), but it'll obviously take longer from south TX. I mention it only because I did some scenic trails out there about 10 years ago or so.

8. Sep 11, 2020 at 8:50 AM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    This may not be what you’re looking for, but I’ve always wanted to check it out. Plus, it should be much closer to you near Ozona, TX.

https://www.escondidodraw.org/

Not sure if they have any Tundra-friendly trails with our truck’s long wheelbase, but they do offer camping. It’s one of two off-road parks run by the Texas Motorized Trails Coalition. The other is BMRA in Gilmer 2.5 hours east of Dallas.

9. Sep 11, 2020 at 9:29 AM
    Djone27

Djone27 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Crewmax TSS 4x4
    HID Headlights, full LEDs, TRD front and rear sway bars, CB +2s, Eibach Stage 2s, SABM w/ pro intake tube

Also of note, you won't be able to access most of RMNP at that time. Trail Ridge Road is only opened from Memorial day thru Columbus day. It occasionally gets closed during that span due to snow also. I think they had several inches of snow in June this year as reference. We went to RMNP via Estes Park this past Christmas it was cold AF. Even though the access is limited, we did enjoy it there. You'd have to pick which side of the park to go to (Estes Park or Grand Lake) and be confined to that region.

10. Sep 11, 2020 at 12:18 PM
    STravis

STravis SOB Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Ruidoso, NM
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Pro CM, 08 Supercharged Single Cab
    The Gila is cool. Anther option would be the Ruidoso/Cloudcroft area. Good camping and forest roads. No crazy trails, but some good scenic roads that aren't too difficult.

equin likes this.
  11. Sep 11, 2020 at 8:55 PM
    The Patriot 1776

The Patriot 1776 Asskick Fabrication: Shit Is Sick!

Member:
    Great State Of TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    How were the trails in The Gila? That place looks pretty kick ass.

12. Sep 11, 2020 at 9:19 PM
    STravis

STravis SOB Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Ruidoso, NM
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Pro CM, 08 Supercharged Single Cab
    Not a lot of difficult trails, mostly forest roads and old 2 tracks. It's a pretty remote area as far as cell service and towns, but there is a lot of cool stuff to see and definitely worth the trip. I don't know if I would advise going solo without being prepared as far as tools, a spare and a tire plug kit/compressor. I've known several people that have trashed tires in that area. Depending on the time of year and how much snow they get this year, some of the areas may be snowed in.

Products Discussed in

To Top