1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PIAA LP530 LED SAE Driving Light Kit For OEM Location

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Backslider, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Dec 29, 2016 at 7:15 PM
    Backslider

Backslider [OP] Thirsty...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    2022 GMC Sierra AT4 L5P - 2017 4runner SR5P - 2023 Tesla Model 3 LR
    I ordered these lights directly from the seller via this thread with the understanding that I would be refunded the purchase price after posting a review

https://www.tundras.com/threads/pia...for-oem-location-free-offer.9288/#post-146865

These lights arrived very quickly and were packaged well. The actual product packaging was well thought out and offered good protection to it's contents (I'm an engineer for a company that builds box-making robots so this is important to me). My first impression was that these driving lights looked to be well made and were aesthetically pleasing as well. Despite a disclaimer in the offer thread stating that no lens covers would be included, mine came with lens covers. This is a bonus for me as I did not mount these in the OEM bumper and was planning on buying them anyway.

20161228_140619.jpg

20161228_140656.jpg

20161228_140737.jpg

These are not a plug-and-play option, but do come with all the wiring and a basic switch for installation. All wire ends are terminated with bullet style connectors. If you were replacing the fog lights in the factory bumper you could get an h16 or h11 male end and re-terminate these wires to use the factory socket. You could also use any other safe method to splice these in to the factory wires.

I installed these on an after market bumper and was happy to have the wiring and switch included. The switch is a very basic toggle switch with a small red light to indicate when it's turned on. I will later be replacing the switch when I relocate all of my lighting switches to the center console, but for now this will do nicely. The lights also come the traditional mounting brackets, a bracket for mounting to the stock 14-17 Tundra bumper, springs and leveling screws, and a 2a fusible link. While I did not mount these to a stock bumper I do have experience doing so and the brackets and leveling method will absolutely work. You will definitely be able to install these from the front of the truck without removing the wheel-well fender liners.

20161228_140717.jpg

20161228_140926.jpg

20161229_124033.jpg

My install was a little more difficult that simply swapping these out with the factory lights. In many ways wiring an independent switch is preferable to a simple swap because you can now use these fogs independently of the factory lights without needing to make any modifications. I personally would recommend installing with a switch but that is of course up to you.

After mounting the lights I was very happy with the styling and looks. I realize this is a different application than many would do, but these lights look great when mounted outside of the enclosure.

20161229_151316.jpg

20161229_151207.jpg

After the sun finally went down I went for a drive to level them out and test.

I found the beam pattern to be comparable to the stock fog lights, but the light output and color was much better. In this picture I deliberately adjusted the leveling so you could see the output of each individual light. This was from approximately 25' away.

DSC_0005_1.jpg

I then leveled to what I felt was appropriate - I later learned these were a little low and center-focused. I adjusted accordingly but did not get additional pictures on the wall.

DSC_0006_1.jpg

The product page doesn't specify a color temperature, but these are 6000k or very near. They provide a very clean, true white light.

DSC_0007.jpg

I feel the light output and beam width are right on target for lights that can be on during normal driving on-road. In my case these lights are mounted close together so my beam pattern will look a bit narrower than if they were mounted in the factory bumper. Tomorrow I will mess around with aiming them out a bit but I don't want it to be too extreme and look ridiculous.

Foglights only:

DSC_0009.jpg

With headlights on:

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

Overall I am very pleased with these lights. I feel they would provide a better beam pattern in the factory bumper but even with my application I think they can be adjusted to the point where they will be very effective. They have a nice flat and wide beam, so being close to the ground and a little further apart would make a huge difference. I cannot speak for their longevity, but the construction quality seemed to be very good and the waterproofing looks like it should be effective. I do feel like $300 might be a bit steep, but I am a notorious bargain-hunter. If these withstand the hot summers and wet, salty Utah winters they are worth every penny.

These can be purchase at the following link:

http://www.automatcentral.com/PIAA-LED-TundraLampKit.html

I will update further as time passes if anything important comes up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  2. Dec 30, 2016 at 6:36 AM
    Sixpack

Sixpack New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver Sky Tundra CM TRD 4x4 Limited
    Moto Metal 951 18x9 rims with 285x75x18 Nitto Terra Grapplers , ESP lockable under seat storage, Husky mats front and rear, ReadyLift 3/1, Undercover Flex trifold bed cover, Bed Rug, interior LED's, 15% tint all around, TRD CAI, Bully Dog Platinum GT tuner, TRD rear sway bar, Flowmaster Series 44 dual exhaust system, LED head lights and Fog lights, 32" LED light bar in lower bumper cover, Switchback running lights, much more to come...
    Nice write up, well done...

Backslider[OP] likes this.
  3. Dec 30, 2016 at 10:18 AM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    Nice write up. Its such a joy to read a light-review where on-road pictures are provided.

Note to others: If you don't show the on-road beam-pattern, you haven't posted a review.

4. Dec 30, 2016 at 6:50 PM
    14burrito

14burrito IG @14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    I just posted up my review....your output looks a lot more white than mine - mines more blue hued.

5. Dec 31, 2016 at 6:30 AM
    14burrito

14burrito IG @14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Fyi there is a color temp for these listed on PIAAs website, 6k.

Screenshot_2016-12-31-07-29-07.jpg

To Top