1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Payload Capacity... what's the limiting factor?

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by Dipper, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Oct 20, 2019 at 8:37 PM
    Dipper

Dipper [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Hi Guys,

New guy here and I realize this topic has been discussed many times over the years but I have not been able to find a definitive answer to my question.

What is limiting the Tundra's payload capacity ? What is the single weakest " component" that is responsible for the payload limit on our Tundras?

I own a 2013 Tundra WT ( work truck ) with the payload listed as 1325 pounds.

When I purchased the truck , payload was not my main concern as I knew the truck was more than capable for doing what I wanted to do....... hauling motorcycles, lumber, firewood, the occasional refrigerator and household goods, towing my boat, etc.

Now I want to do a camper setup . My intentions and what I would like to do is remove the bed, install a flatbed and do a flatbed camper setup vs. a slide in. An aluminum flatbed in order to save weight. I have checked the specs on a couple that I like and noted the weights.
    So, that led me to discover that my payload capacity on my Tundra is not up to snuff for what I would like to do.
    A payload capacity of say 2,000 pounds would be sufficient for my needs.

As a comparison , Ford offers the F-150 with a payload package that can , depending on the the actual configuration of the truck, ( single cab, extended cab , crew cab, 4 X 4 , etc. ) approach 3,000 pounds.

So I am wondering. How is Ford doing this? I highly doubt they are using a different frame for those F-150's that are ordered with the payload package. I am thinking BUT could be wrong that they are using a " standard" F-150 frame and it is what is bolted on to this frame that is increasing the payload capacity. Anyone know??

I like my truck, I have got it where I want it ( minus the camper set up ) , it is a good truck, it's paid for, it is in excellent condition and has extremely low miles on it for a 2013. I want to keep it.
    Rather than trading my truck in or selling it and then having to kick in another $15,000 to $18,000.00 for say a new F-250 or whatever, I would be willing to "upgrade" my truck to reach my payload capacity goal. I have been looking at used F-250s and the vast majority have high miles and need one thing or another.

I know the heavier springs , airbags, better tires, etc. things have been discussed. I am also in the camp that says ...... " that won't increase your payload capacity that will just keep your rear end from sagging". I would want to make any mods meaningful and safe.

Sooooo...... I would be willing to do the mods necessary to safely and truly increase payload.
    The only thing that would be a show stopper is if the frame would not handle it. Like I said, I could be wrong but I doubt Ford puts a different frame on the assembly line to build an F-150 with a payload package.
    If the frame on the Tundra is as capable as what's on an F-150 I should be able to upgrade the "bolt ons". I would be willing to stick 5-7 K in my Tundra since it is mint and I would like to keep it " forever ".

This is why I am asking " What is the single most limiting factor for increased payload?" Is it the rear end ? Axels ? They can be replaced. Upgraded brakes? No problem. Heavier springs along with a rear end or axel update? No problem.

I have seen pictures of Tundras with dual wheels, used as tow trucks etc. I am assuming these trucks have been updated or modified to safely do the job.

So, what is the weakest link on the Tundra as far as payload goes?

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for any info!

2. Oct 20, 2019 at 8:49 PM
    ZappBrannigan

ZappBrannigan The mind is willing but the flesh is weak

Member:
    Canada, by way of Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2018 1794 MGM
    NVS light bar
    The limiting factor is the sticker in your door jamb.

Silver4x4trd likes this.
  3. Oct 20, 2019 at 9:18 PM
    Aerindel

Aerindel New Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC, SR5, 4.7 V8 4WD, 325,00ish miles.
    tvpierce likes this.
  4. Oct 20, 2019 at 9:18 PM
    ZappBrannigan

ZappBrannigan The mind is willing but the flesh is weak

Member:
    Canada, by way of Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2018 1794 MGM
    NVS light bar
    tvpierce and Aerindel[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Oct 20, 2019 at 9:41 PM
    Dipper

Dipper [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra

Interesting article. Seems like a case of form over function. The week link was identified and fixed. I suppose they just could have slapped a sticker limiting the towing capacity to a lesser weight and left it at that but they decided to actually come up with a solution to meet their goal. Others maybe that aren't so concerned with keeping a look could have modified the front end and fitted a larger radiator. Form be damned.

6. Oct 20, 2019 at 9:44 PM
    pickeledpigsfeet

pickeledpigsfeet New Member

Member:
    Sierra Foothills, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra/14 FJ/ 90 SASed xcab
    Kings & Icons
    IMO after owning/working on 3/4t and 1t trucks, the main issue is on the Tundra is too soft rear leaves/front coilovers, and too small rear axle wheel bearings. I swapped a D60 into a older Toy truck and they are beef. Pre 2010 1t trucks have way shittier brakes than the tundra. I just put a leveling kit on a 2019 F250 King Ranch and the frame wasnt anything better than Tundra.

You cant hide from your weight tag though.

But I see dudes all summer long pull up to the trail head in a Tundra with a old six pack cabover and towing a crawler with at least a 600lb hitch weight. And they dont have any truck issues. Airbags on all of them.

Bigboitundra likes this.
  7. Oct 20, 2019 at 9:48 PM
    Aerindel

Aerindel New Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    Indeed. But the point is that heat rejection was a major factor in the towing capacity....which is not something that gets talked about often. If the size of radiator and the amount of heat your engine puts out is that important to what you can tow....just think of how many other factors may be involved. Whatever the weak point is, its probably not as simple as 'heavier springs' etc or the OEM designers would have simply built it that way from the beginning. The tow capacity is probably a function of the whole integrated system and not 'fixable' in any simple way. It took months of research and testing for jeep to increase its towing capacity....it seems unlikely there is anything you could do to your truck to increase yours.

Its also surprising your payload capacity is so low, my truck is much older than yours and yet I have a 1700lb payload capacity. With airbags to level things out I have no qualms about hauling a full ton as long as I take it easy. I wonder what changed over the last 13 years to move payload in the opposite direction.

8. Oct 20, 2019 at 9:54 PM
    Dipper

Dipper [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra

Thanks!! This is the type info I am looking for. I'm not sure and have not looked into it yet but ( and I could be wrong ) I'm thinking there should be a way to maybe get an " upgraded " truck certified for an increased payload. I live within an hour of a off road specialty business that does about everything there is to do in jeep and truck modifications. I have had them do work for me years ago. I plan on calling them tomorrow and see what they have to say.

9. Oct 20, 2019 at 10:15 PM
    Dipper

Dipper [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Heck there are small trucks out there with a bigger payload capacity than my Tundra. I had a hard time believing it and didn't realize it but when I spoke with an aluminum flatbed supplier that I like he showed me where the Chevy Colorado for instance was rated for a higher payload than my Tundra. Yea really!!

Not trying to get around any stickers or fool anyone..... which is why I asked about the " weakest link". If the frame is GTG, It is possible to do some modifications and bolt on upgraded parts. It is done everyday and has been done since the model T. My concern is safety.... the ability to increase payload and do it safely...... which is why I am looking past heavier springs and airbags. If some Toyota engineer said to me " you could fit a bigger rear end, heavier beefier axles, upgraded springs and shocks, etc. but your frame will fold up like a cheap suit " that would be the end of it.... but, right now I don't think the frame is the limiting factor.
    As far as any overheating or anything goes, that's not really a safety issue and I would cross that bridge if and when it showed up....... if it ever did.

Most companies are run to one degree or another by bean counters and info gathered from focus groups etc. What is the vast majority going to do with their truck. I think Toyota has let the US companies deal with and have the HD market and builds the Tundra accordingly. Don't know if it will happen but I have seen pictures of a dual wheel tundra that Toyota supposedly hired a custom builder to build for them so there has been some talk about Toyota entering the HD market. Who knows??

ETA: As far as fitting heavier beefier parts from the get go, I am sure that MPG is a concern too.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  10. Oct 20, 2019 at 10:19 PM
    Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno DC SR5
    OEM TRD led lights, TRD exhaust, s&b intake
    Look at the ratings on your axles, tires, wheels, etc. If you're looking for increased legal capacity, you're going to be better off buying a heavier truck. On 3/4 ton and up trucks, it's not just about frame strength. The axles, steering, braking and suspension components are all heavier. Yes, the brakes on older 3/4 ton trucks are not as good as a current tundra. Just as the brakes on a 1995 4runner aren't as good as a 2019. Heat is another huge factor, under high loads for extended periods of time, trucks need to be able to shed the extra heat created. TFL just did a review on a 2020 Silverado gas truck pulling max payload and towing up their test route. At times they were only doing 25 mph with their foot to the floor. If you're pushing the need for a heavier truck, then get the heavier truck. It'll handle the payload, and towing better than an half ton will.

11. Oct 20, 2019 at 10:20 PM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    The single weakest link in the Tundra's capacity is a lawyer.

Hbjeff and ZappBrannigan like this.
  12. Oct 20, 2019 at 10:34 PM
    Dipper

Dipper [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Ha! Just from one post and your sig line I like you already!

13. Oct 20, 2019 at 10:38 PM
    Dipper

Dipper [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra

Well, if and it is an if...... I could increase the payload of my Tundra safely and legally the 500 to 600 pounds I am looking for at a reasonable price I would rather do that than lay down 15K or more to upgrade to an F-250... which is the only "HD" truck I would consider.

14. Oct 20, 2019 at 10:46 PM
    Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno DC SR5
    OEM TRD led lights, TRD exhaust, s&b intake
    If you do some research, you will find that current Ford's do have different frames, LD vs hd depending on payload package. Just removing the bed and installing a flatbed will not help. Even an aluminum flatbed will weigh quite a bit more than your standard bed. The other thing to keep in mind too, is that adding a camper raises your center of gravity, having a truck with heavier running gear (axles, motor, trans, springs, tires, wheels, etc will help keep the CG lower. Campers are not really meant for 1/2 ton trucks, they just aren't. Even the lightest ones push the envelope of weight ratings for 1/2 ton trucks. Honestly, even a lot of 3/4 ton diesels are "overloaded" by payload standards when you factor in all the cargo and occupants in the vehicle. Here is the guidelines for ford payload and towing on all their trucks.
    https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  15. Oct 20, 2019 at 11:13 PM
    Dipper

Dipper [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    I'm going to check on the F-150 tomorrow and see if they do in fact use a different frame when the payload package is specified for the F-150. Maybe they do. Actually, I wasn't going with the flatbed set up to save weight I want to go flatbed for several other reasons like side entry, more room, nothing blocking your hitch, and floorpan. If you look at UTE aluminum flatbeds for example ..... one of the flatbeds I am considering, the weight is under 300 pounds with the sides off which they would be with camper installed...... very close to current bed weight . None that I am looking at weigh considerably more than the stock bed.
    As far as center of gravity I am looking at hard sided pop ups so center of gravity change will be minimal although yes it will change. Also, with the pop up design, weight distribution is down low.... it has to be by design ..... so cabinets and accessories are limited on the top half of the camper.

If you look at any Overland websites or attend any Overland expos ( I just attended a large one ) you will see many many setups on Tacomas and Tundras and will see many Tacomas and half tons with campers on them. There are some nice lite weight set ups out there although, yes I saw more than a few that had to be over payload sticker/recommendation . Point is, there are thousands and thousands of half tons with campers on them.

I would agree that stepping up to say an F-250 would be the ideal solution but first I am going to explore any options I have of increasing my payload 600 pounds for a reasonable cost vs. laying down big bucks for a new truck.

This is something I am just throwing around and am trying to find out if it is doable.... aside from saying " screw that sticker".

16. Oct 20, 2019 at 11:20 PM
    computeruser6

computeruser6 Gott Mit Uns

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirk
    Escondido
    Vehicle:
    2008 Regular Cab Tundra
    King 2.5 coilovers Nitto Exo Grapplers
    Sell the CrewMax, buy a Regular Cab...

Melikeymy beer likes this.
  17. Oct 21, 2019 at 7:00 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Lots of limiting factors:

-Axle load ratings, and type of axle.

- Suspension spring/load ratings.

- Frame design, thickness, size....

- Tire load index rating.

- Brakes and in some cases, alternate vehicle braking
    systems. (grade braking, exhaust brake)

- SAE J2807 testing/rating

I personally would not flatbed my 1/2 ton truck. Once reality sets in, no matter how much you like the Tundra, this isn’t going to work out well.

ZappBrannigan and Pinay like this.
  18. Oct 23, 2019 at 12:27 PM
    Aerindel

Aerindel New Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    Why not....(strongly considering flatbeding my truck)

19. Oct 23, 2019 at 12:56 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Weight or cost.

Steel flatbed will absorb all your capacity.

Aluminum flatbed will absorb all your wallet.

kaymonster, Hbjeff and ZappBrannigan like this.
  20. Oct 23, 2019 at 3:43 PM
    Dipper

Dipper [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra

In many foreign countries, the majority of trucks wear flatbeds. In Australia for example I am told that about 70% of all trucks are wearing flatbeds. Depending on what you want to do with your truck , they can be a good investment. Ute quoted me $3,500.00 for an 8 foot aluminum bed with sides. They don't rust, are MUCH more durable than factory beds , last a long time with many owners taking their beds off their old trucks and installing them on their new trucks. Some people have owned the same bed installed on several trucks, they are easier to load and strap stuff down to with many more anchor points built into the bed. Ute for example can be repaired by installing new panels if necessary in your driveway, bolt on ...... no body shop needed. So if you use your truck like a truck and for some reason damage the bed, you just order new parts and bolt them on. Lastly if you order a Ford for example ( maybe others I have not checked ) you can do a bed delete that saves you $650.00 on the price of the truck.
    If you buy used and find a truck with a trashed bed a flatbed may prove to be a good way to go.
    I don't think they are for everyone but they are out there by the thousands on all kinds and sizes of trucks.

21. Oct 23, 2019 at 3:48 PM
    MacCTD

MacCTD New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 CM 4x4
    5100s
    Pretty sure the limiting factor is the GVWR which is 7200lbs, seeing as the trucks weigh in the 6000lb range there is only the difference for passengers and payload.

Melikeymy beer likes this.
  22. Oct 23, 2019 at 3:48 PM
    Dipper

Dipper [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Check out UTE . Good place to start. There are several others that are nice too. UTE has been making their beds for a long time and there is a crap ton of them out there.

23. Oct 23, 2019 at 3:52 PM
    Dipper

Dipper [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra

Not sure what you mean? There are aluminum flatbeds out there that are within a 100 pounds or less of the factory bed. If you are talking steel , yep they are heavy. I personally would not consider steel for several reasons with weight being the primary one.

24. Oct 23, 2019 at 4:00 PM
    MacCTD

MacCTD New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 CM 4x4
    5100s
    You cannot change the GVWR it is set at 7200lbs, just looked up the F150s, some of them have a GVWR of 7000lbs but a payload capacity over 2000lbs so the F150 must be much lighter than the Tundra.

25. Oct 23, 2019 at 4:06 PM
    Dipper

Dipper [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Oh I see what you were saying. If you order the payload package with the F-150 you can get up to 3,000 pound payload. As far as I know, according to those that I have talked too the payload package uses the same frame as any other F-150. Just different bolt ons.

You can change the GVWR the question is a matter of legality and certification of those changes.

26. Oct 23, 2019 at 4:13 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    For me, 3500.00 is a bit much to just swap a perfectly good truck bed to a flatbed....in the 1/2 ton market. I would buy a trailer before doing this to a 1/2 ton.

alu.jpg WT-35-2.jpg

Cost aside, and this is just my personal opinion, looks like hell.

All HD domestic truck manufactures do sell cab and chassis trucks, so you save a lot on that cost. In the HD segment, there is definitely a use for these flatbeds.

In the event you really need a flatbed to use, this is a lot more functional and at least looks ok....

GMCalu1.jpg

Now it's definitely not 3500.00 either.

GMCalu.jpg

27. Oct 23, 2019 at 4:20 PM
    Dipper

Dipper [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra

LOL! Yeah, those are ugly examples ! There are more appealing examples you can order.

In my case, I am going flatbed ( no matter what I do in the way of a truck ) for a specific reason and that is for a flatbed camper. Flatbeds just have way more advantages than a standard factory bed. Advantages that are worth it for me.

28. Oct 23, 2019 at 4:22 PM
    Dipper

Dipper [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    And for many other people.

29. Oct 23, 2019 at 4:29 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I would sure go with a bigger truck then...

30. Oct 23, 2019 at 4:34 PM
    Dipper

Dipper [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    It is possible I will but I'm still researching options. I only need an honest actual 2,000 pound payload capacity. That is with a safety factor figured in. I can get that in an F-150. I haven't checked on Chevy or Ram but their trucks don't appeal to me.

I don't want any more truck than I need.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top