1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Passenger side dash vibration

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by linearms, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Jan 18, 2017 at 2:25 PM
    linearms

linearms [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Discovery Bay Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra LTD TRD 4x4 Crewmax
    Recently purchased a 2017 Tundra and I am experiencing a vibration/buzzing sound coming from somewhere on the passenger side dashboard area. I have seen other threads explaining other sounds coming from the same area but most are described as a tapping noise. If anyone has any info for me I would greatly appreciate it. TIA!

2. Jan 18, 2017 at 2:29 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Not sure where you are located? Cold temps can be a result of this

3. Jan 18, 2017 at 2:52 PM
    linearms

linearms [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Discovery Bay Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Located in Northern California Bay Area. It doesn't get below 40• very often. This morning it was 46• on the way to work.

4. Jan 18, 2017 at 5:39 PM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    check the glove box door. I've heard they can rattle.

linearms[OP] likes this.
  5. Jan 18, 2017 at 5:41 PM
    ChucklesToy

ChucklesToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra Limited 4X4 Nightshade Blueprint
    BAK MX4, window tint, TRD skid plate
    And the cabin air filter door at the back behind the rack where your owners manual goes. Mine was loose and rattled, but buzzed when I was driving on rough pavement.

Lilly and linearms[OP] like this.
  6. Jan 18, 2017 at 11:56 PM
    linearms

linearms [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Discovery Bay Ca.
    Vehicle:
    I'll definitely check that out. Thanks!

7. Jan 18, 2017 at 11:57 PM
    linearms

linearms [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Discovery Bay Ca.
    Vehicle:
    I'll have to take a look there. The door in the back of the glove box does feel a touch loose.

8. Jan 21, 2017 at 9:48 PM
    Sierra_Nevada

Sierra_Nevada New Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2020 Magnetic Gray Platinum
    TRD Pro Fox Suspension, SCS Ray 10 Wheels, BFG KO2 275/70 R18
    My truck had a bad rattle and vibration on the passenger side dash. I fixed the clunking rattle by putting a thick piece of felt between the dash and windshield. The felt is the kind you put under chair legs to protect a wooden floor. The rattle was the space between the speaker and dash. Tap on the speaker with your fingers and see if it rattles. I fixed that with a little padding between the speaker and dash. Good luck.

9. Jan 22, 2017 at 6:33 PM
    NJBBPTUNDRA

NJBBPTUNDRA New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sal
    Vehicle:
    2016 Blazing Blue Tundra Platinum
    TRD Exhaust TRD Cold Air Intake TRD Sway Bar
    I found mine to be behind the visor, close to where the headliner is close to the glass. Press around in that area. I hated that "crackling" noise and actually took a small flat blade screwdriver and pryed it open more under the roof liner/insulation. Hasn't come back yet.

10. Jan 24, 2017 at 7:37 PM
    zlaneb

zlaneb New Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    In my 2011 I had a rattle driving me crazy! After a lot of frustration and googling someone recommended checking the rearview mirror. Sure enough, the plastic piece that covered the mount to the windshield was the problem. I just pushed it back up snug and BANG - fixed the problem. Funny how little noises like that will drive you crazy
    Z.

scurdyness likes this.
  11. Jan 25, 2017 at 6:37 AM
    linearms

linearms [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Discovery Bay Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys! Unfortunately nothing I have tried under your recommendations has resolved the issue. It's amazing how many noises are coming from so many different places. Next step is the dealership.

Blueknights75 and NewImprovedRon like this.
  12. Jan 25, 2017 at 11:03 AM
    NJBBPTUNDRA

NJBBPTUNDRA New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sal
    Vehicle:
    2016 Blazing Blue Tundra Platinum
    TRD Exhaust TRD Cold Air Intake TRD Sway Bar
    For post #9, I should have clarified he passenger visor...

13. Jan 26, 2017 at 2:30 PM
    linearms

linearms [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Discovery Bay Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Update: I took the truck into the service center and unfortunately, after having it for the day,they cannot pin down what is making the noise. They took a bunch of stuff apart and placed foam on different things, only for the noise to still be present. It seems that they are just as frustrated as I about the situation and are having me bring it back tomorrow for further evaluation. Thanks.

14. Apr 3, 2017 at 5:49 AM
    dcguinn

dcguinn New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    hello everyone new to the forum!! Just wondering if u found out what the vibration was? My 2015 is doing the exact same thing!! Mine does it around 1500 rpms especially when lugging down a bit!!

15. Apr 3, 2017 at 6:04 AM
    saclemon95

saclemon95 New Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2017 tundra 4x4 double cab
    K&N performance 77 series intake AFE exhaust 3" lift 18 inch XD monsters 35" nitto grappler G2
    Hey guys, not sure if this will help or not...

I had a loud almost raspy vibration that sounded like it was coming from the lower passenger side corner where the windshield and the dash met. The vibration would only happen during quick accelerations or accelerating uphill. I took it to my dealer 3 times and they finally located the issue. It was the front fender. The write up states they removed various items until it was found that the front fender was resonating. They stated it could possibly be due to the K&N air intake (which was installed by them to ensure the warranty was not voided), and I informed them it did it even before that was installed. I have noticed since the front fender was fixed the wind noise is significantly reduced, and the rattle/vibration is gone. The first time I had the truck into the dealer they thought it was the dash vibrating and installed an insulation kit inside the dash. That was not the fix, it was the front fender fitment.

Now I have another set of issues. The dash vibrates above the touch screen when the truck sits outside for long periods of time and heats up. I assume this causes the dash to expand and will vibrate against the top of the lcd screen trim. When pressure is applied to this area the rattle/vibration stops. The second issue is that I hear a clicking or tapping noise when turning and going over bumps that will jar the truck. After spending a while researching I found several 2016 and 2015 models have issues with the skid plates rubbing, and the dealer has to install additional insulating washers. Looks like I will be going back to my dealer, but may wait as my first oil change will be right around the corner.

16. Apr 3, 2017 at 6:46 AM
    linearms

linearms [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Discovery Bay Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Hey guys, after the second day of the tech at the dealership having my truck, they found and fixed the problem. I will attach the notes. IMG_0463.jpg

17. Apr 3, 2017 at 7:54 AM
    CCTundra

CCTundra New Member

Member:
    Seattle,WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Platinum Tundra
    FabTech 4" lift with dirt logic coil overs, Canopy, LT305/55R20 Cooper ST Max, 20" Black Fuel Wheels
    I have the same thing going on now in my truck. That noise is driving me insane. I was about to post that video and start a new thread. I took it to Toyota and they charged me a diagnostic fee to tell me that that noise was coming from some wires from my AMP bars. They said the wires were loose. This is a bunch of crap. That noise is still there.

NJBBPTUNDRA[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Apr 3, 2017 at 8:04 AM
    14burrito

14burrito IG @14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Might be the ECM rattling. Mine mounting had to be reinforced/rewhatever due to a noise. The ECM mounts into the firewall passenger side, easily seen with the hood open. Maybe pop the hood and try moving it around to see if there is excessive play?

19. Apr 3, 2017 at 8:30 AM
    Sporto

Sporto New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Radiant Red Tundra Limited CM TRD
    Have the exact same rattle and in the same place on my 2014 Ltd. Press on the speaker grill and it stops. I wil work some felt padding in there as well. Thanks for the post.

20. Apr 3, 2017 at 8:42 AM
    CCTundra

CCTundra New Member

Member:
    Seattle,WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Platinum Tundra
    FabTech 4" lift with dirt logic coil overs, Canopy, LT305/55R20 Cooper ST Max, 20" Black Fuel Wheels
  21. Apr 3, 2017 at 8:44 AM
    CCTundra

CCTundra New Member

Member:
    Seattle,WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Platinum Tundra
    It's the noise that is coming from behind the passenger side visor. It's coming from the connection of the windshield and that headliner piece that's making that noise.

22. Apr 21, 2017 at 9:01 AM
    CCTundra

CCTundra New Member

Member:
    Seattle,WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Platinum Tundra
    So I took my truck into the dealer on Tuesday so they can fix this problem. They had the truck for 3 days and they said that they think the noise is coming from my canopy. The window rattling when I'm driving. This is BS. I can hear the plastic noise coming from my passenger side visor. The service advisor told me that they could hear the noise coming from my canopy and that if I rolled down my back window I could hear it more. Am I wrong, or are these guys just trying to brush me off so they don't have to fix this?

23. Apr 21, 2017 at 9:43 AM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    Kudos to you for posting the resolution. You are off to a great start!. Many folks post up a problem, but don't bother to followup, once they get it resolved.

Cat3ILS and NewImprovedRon like this.
  24. Apr 21, 2017 at 1:55 PM
    nestockcar

nestockcar New Member

Member:
    CCTundra, I had a similar noise though maybe not as bad. Turned out to be the plastic windshield wiper motor cover under the hood. It would rub against the windshield which would amplify it. Sounded like clicking. To check have someone move the cover while in the cab and see if the sound is duplicated. Solution was some silicon lubrication.

Hope you find it!

25. Apr 21, 2017 at 3:39 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    I hope they actually fixed it. Seemed like they just put foam on everything!

26. Sep 30, 2018 at 3:05 PM
    Dsquare1

Dsquare1 New Member

Member:
    I have a brand new Tundra Platinum that is doing exactly the same thing. At 2000 RPM there is a buzzing sound coming from the passenger side dash area that the service department can't find. Also, my ECM on the firewall was vibrating badly at 1400 RPM...service department replaced mounting bracket and ECM. Fix lasted one day and is back now. I think these are two separate issues and I am fighting with Toyota over it.

27. Dec 9, 2018 at 9:19 AM
    Max Power

Max Power Groovy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TRD Off Road
    TRD Dual Exhaust TRD Rear Sway Bar
    I'm trying to figure out a vibration near my dash area as well. Have you been able to resolve your issues?

28. Dec 9, 2018 at 9:50 AM
    Darren509

Darren509 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    Dayton NV
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tundra TRD
    I had the same rattle or creaking sound from passenger side. It was the ecm mounting point in the engine bay. Tech went on test drive to verify and fix was he removed the bracket and wrapped a bunch of electrical tape to use as insulation.no more noise a since it was done last week

757TUNDRA likes this.
  29. Dec 9, 2018 at 10:21 AM
    Max Power

Max Power Groovy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TRD Off Road
    TRD Dual Exhaust TRD Rear Sway Bar
    My buzzing seems worse when it's cold, then often, it goes away for long periods of time. I've tried clamping down on the ECM like some here have, but that didn't do anything at all. I almost wonder if it's not a piece of plastic buzzing somewhere. I have just tried placing some felt pads in a couple spots on the dash, I'll see if that solves the issue.

30. Dec 19, 2018 at 8:59 AM
    Dsquare1

Dsquare1 New Member

Member:
    So here is the verdict on the two separate and distinct noises that I was experiencing. I finally got my truck fixed after I waited for 6 weeks for Toyota to sort out this issue. It seems that the ECM or ECU whichever you prefer to call it was causing most of the problems. One sound was due to it vibrating on the firewall particularly when the vehicle was cold (metal contracts in the cold as you all know). The second sound (buzzing @2000 rpm) took them 6 weeks to figure out. They had to study the ECM at their main lab and subsequently look for a build that didn't buzz in the 2018.
    So I have all my issues resolved. When I get the paperwork I will post it here (the work order is still open). Bottom line: Toyota is aware of significant issues with this ECM unit. They know that certain builds will buzz, and they also know that the way it is mounted on the firewall can cause issues with vibrating.
    Hope this helps...buy the way when I initially troubleshot the noises on my own I very quickly excluded noise from either the glove box or the cabin air filter door. Neither of these were contributors to the noises I was experiencing.

757TUNDRA, Max Power and T-Rex266 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top