1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Painting an SR grille?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by BuckWallace, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Jan 4, 2019 at 1:23 PM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace [OP] Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    So I'm getting ready to color match my truck and am currently pricing out all my options. I came across a used SR grille (would just use the surround) and bulge and am about to jump on it. Does anyone know if the SR grilles are of any worse quality than the higher trims? Would I be better off buying a new Sport/Platinum grille? If anyone has had an SR grille painted I'd love to hear from you!

Also, I got a quote from my paint guy for $500 to paint the grille surround, bulge, door handles, and bumper end caps. Does that seem reasonable?

Meanjoe likes this.
  2. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:14 PM
    Mr Swervlin

Mr Swervlin "Yes....In Dee Face"

Member:
    O H I O
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Sky limited TRD Crewmax
    Line X bed liner Window tint AVS in channel vent visors Paint protection wrap Husky front & rear floor liner ESP Crewmax rear storage Console organizer and tray TRD shift knob TRD rear sway bar Thule exporter pro 500 Color matched door handles, side mirrors, and grill surround VLEDs interior/reverse/cargo Driver side grab handle 10" BAmuffler Trd pro headlights
    I'm pretty sure all the grills for these truck are just plastic so it's more about the look your going for. Color matched grill surrounds and bulge through Sparks is going to run you anywhere from $300/700. I'm thinking the $500 for everything is a great deal.

Meanjoe and BuckWallace[OP] like this.
  3. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:33 PM
    BuckWallace

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    I just picked up this SR grille/surround and black hood bulge today for $75, which I'll probably end up painting. I priced everything out and it'll be cheaper to go this route vs buying everything pre-painted. I also trust my paint guy to do a better paint match than some of the factory examples I've seen. The grille surround has some scuffs (which should be gone after painting) but the bulge was pretty much perfect.

568331889.jpg
    IMG_8471.jpg

Meanjoe and Stormtrooper81 like this.
  4. Jan 5, 2019 at 5:16 AM
    Mr Swervlin

Mr Swervlin "Yes....In Dee Face"

Member:
    O H I O
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Sky limited TRD Crewmax
    Line X bed liner Window tint AVS in channel vent visors Paint protection wrap Husky front & rear floor liner ESP Crewmax rear storage Console organizer and tray TRD shift knob TRD rear sway bar Thule exporter pro 500 Color matched door handles, side mirrors, and grill surround VLEDs interior/reverse/cargo Driver side grab handle 10" BAmuffler Trd pro headlights
    Nice!! That's a hell of a deal. And I like that your not all about needing the TRD Pro grill like everyone else who changed out their grills. Post up some pics when your finished.

Meanjoe likes this.
  5. Jan 18, 2021 at 8:18 AM
    Meanjoe

Meanjoe BT3 USN

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayde
    Salem, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    SOLD: 2020 Tundra SR 4x4 Double Cab Super White Long Bed
    I know its an old thread, but i'd like to see pics....i'm about to paint my grill surround, and my hood surround....want ideas & inspiration.....

20210116_113904.jpg

6. Jan 18, 2021 at 9:40 AM
    BuckWallace

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    I actually ended up getting rid of my 2018 (long story), so I sold the grille and surround before I had them painted. I know a lot of people here have had theirs painted, so I'm sure there are a few examples to be found. Good luck!

Meanjoe likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top