1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Paint correction on a brand new truck

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Donkeypunch, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Dec 18, 2018 at 2:25 PM
    Donkeypunch

Donkeypunch [OP] New Member

Member:
    Is it worth it? Had my 2019 for 3 weeks now and 2K miles. Washed it for the first time the other day.

A couple friends of mine say that even though it's new, paint correction will make the finish pop out even more.

I'm thinking of doing this but need to know if it's worth it. Even if I plan on putting XPEL on later and ceramic coating on top.

2. Dec 18, 2018 at 2:38 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    If you're going to clear wrap or ceramic coat it, then yes definitely take the time to get the paint corrected. Otherwise you'll be locking in scratches and swirls.

15whtrd likes this.
  3. Dec 18, 2018 at 2:52 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited Crew TRD Off-Road
    Pro Grill and Bulge TRD sway BAK MX4 Tonneau
    You should based on what I heard. But you need to coat ASAP after correction (like at the same time) or else you’d be coating in the inevitable swirls and contamination that will occur shortly after correction.

757TUNDRA and 15whtrd like this.
  4. Dec 18, 2018 at 3:04 PM
    Donkeypunch

Member:

Are you referring to swirl marks from any subsequent washes before the wrap/coating? I meticulously bucket wash, couple of different buckets, my vehicles. I never take it anywhere else to get washed. That's how I wash my Supra.

Or are you saying there would be swirl marks as a result of the polishing from the paint correction, which I have not seen having my other cars gone through this process.

5. Dec 18, 2018 at 3:38 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Paint correction will definitely make it pop more. But unless you put a protective coating like ceramic on top, the swirls will come back shortly. And then it’s a vicious cycle of polishing all the time to keep it nice. Eventually your paint will wear out as it’s thin already. I would like to do ceramic coating but it’s expensive. Instead I just deal with minor swirl marks and give it a good light polish and wax every so often.

I'm going to tag the man for you. @SouthBoundSteve

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    NewImprovedRon likes this.
  6. Dec 18, 2018 at 3:50 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Regardless of how meticulous you are, you will swirl a little and the paint will scratch when you wash and use it. It certainly helps if your truck is white or silver but you will eventually get scratches and road contamination again. If you are going to pay for correction and coating, it doesn’t make sense to not do them at the same time. Just my 2 cents. That what was just explained to me by the pro who corrected and coated my truck last month. The best time for correction and coating is when it is new, because the paint is relatively good so the correction should be minimal - then you seal it and coat it with that pretty coating. Again, others may chime in with more enlightened comments but that is what I was told.

15whtrd likes this.
  7. Dec 18, 2018 at 4:13 PM
    Donkeypunch

Member:

I see what you are saying. I am separating the XPEL and paint correction as I am going to put the XPEL protective film on myself. I can try to do it the same day or day after but I hear what you are saying.

15whtrd likes this.
  8. Dec 18, 2018 at 4:53 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, it’s all about the funds man! Take a look at the thread on here “Talk me into ceramic coating.” I posted my truck before and after. I thought I was very meticulous with washing double bucket method and what not but my truck was a mess with scratches and swirls despite my best efforts and few details of cutter/polish/wax/sealer. And mine is a newer 2017.

15whtrd likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top