1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

P2757......probably need a tranny rebuild

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Norcalyotaman, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Feb 4, 2020 at 12:39 PM
    Norcalyotaman

Norcalyotaman [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra Double Cab SR5
    Awhile ago I got a pending 2757 torque converter clutch pressure light while towing a trailer on my 2005 v8 doublecab. I recently did a full fluid change (pulled the return line and swapped out 13 quarts) along with lubeguard and Lucas transmission fix hoping to get lucky. Pulled about a 3,000 lb trailer today and the check engine light came on with the same code. Not pending anymore.

So anyone in the Auburn, Ca area have a transmission shop they recommend to look at it closer? If it’s not a simple fix I’ll probably swap it out myself. Anyone recommend a good company to order a rebuilt unit? Hopefully don’t have to spend a fortune.......

2. Feb 4, 2020 at 12:55 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    You can probably find a local shop to rebuild your transmission better than before using better parts, etc. tailored to your towing needs.

Expect to pay $3-4k.

3. Feb 4, 2020 at 1:22 PM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    LED headlamps/fogs; interior footlamps.
    I'd investigate further.

A quick search on that code yields most probably causes as SLU solenoid connections harness is loose on one end or other with the final solution as the SLU solenoid itself. This may not be an issue with the TC.

Guessing you bring the trans down a gear or two when you tow to ease the temps a bit?

4. Feb 4, 2020 at 1:43 PM
    PCJ

PCJ New Member

Member:
    State of Jefferson
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC Limited 4X4
    Lift, Rims, Bigger Tires, Nerf Bars, Black Out Emblems
    Never used them but years ago when I thought I might need transmission work and was researching it Monroe Transmission in Newcastle was always highly recommended.

5. Feb 4, 2020 at 1:51 PM
    SouthPaw

SouthPaw The headlight guy

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    If it were me, I am sure you can scoop a junkyard one pretty cheap. R/R and run that one till it pops.

6. Feb 4, 2020 at 4:03 PM
    Norcalyotaman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All good info. I have an appointment at Bear river auto tech next week to have it looked at. Hopefully hooking it up to their computer will give a little more insight.

I don’t think it’s a wiring harness beings how it’s fine as long as I’m not towing. As soon as I tow the code pops up. If I reset the code and kick it out of O/D the code never comes back.

If it ends up being a solenoid, then easy fix. If it’s more in depth then I will have to think about it. I’ll probably just end up driving it for a while, since the code only pops up when towing ( what’s the worst that could happen, burn up an already bad tranny) and then either junkyard or order up a tranny. Looks like they are about 2,400 online and I would have no problem dropping a new one in myself........lots to think about.

7. Apr 13, 2021 at 11:48 AM
    infinkc

infinkc New Member

Member:
    Have this same code P2757, did you ever solve the issue?

8. Apr 13, 2021 at 12:42 PM
    BubbaW

BubbaW Been Real

Member:
    First Name:
    Bubba
    Where Eagles Nest
    Vehicle:
    04 DC LTD 4X4 4.7 V8
    T150 Lover
  9. Apr 13, 2021 at 4:08 PM
    Norcalyotaman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sorry guys......Im not good at checking in. I took it into Monroe transmission (really good people there) they took it for a drive and couldn’t get it to duplicate the problem. They recommended to drive it, monitor and take it out of O/D whenever I tow (unless cruising downhill or really light load) they said the clutches could be worn, it could have low pressure holding the clutches, could be a solenoid, valve body.....kinda hard to pinpoint with it being intermittent.
    I’ve put a couple thousand miles on it and pretty much never get a code unless A. I tow and forget to turn O/D off.
    B. I’m in the mountains and I get on it a little too much on the freeway on steep hills. I usually just take it out of O/D and all is well.
    They said to monitor the temps because when it really starts to go it will start running hot because of excessive slipping.
    Now that I actually have my trailer ordered and hopefully get it in the next couple months (Apex Nano 208BHS if anyone is curious. Dry weight 3,950)
    I am going to be getting an ultra gauge to monitor the temps (after some research it looks like it will do transmission temps, chime in if anyone has one!) and it’s cheaper than a scan gauge. For now I’m going to monitor for secondary’s (shifting weird, high temps or code on excessively) and just run it. But I am always keeping an eye out for a low mileage wreck on Craigslist. (I’ll go to the dismantler if it starts acting up)

Filthyphil and BubbaW like this.
  10. Apr 13, 2021 at 4:27 PM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    Dumb question, have you checked the transmission fluid level? The 2005 doesn't have a dipstick to do so, you'll have to access the "check" plug on the trans. Also, don't tow in OD. Results in high fluid temps and early transmission death. Did you ever have any symptoms other than the code?

11. Apr 13, 2021 at 4:32 PM
    Norcalyotaman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    For me I have no other symptoms. I didn’t check the level before my flush. But I did the whole process for getting the level right after new fluid went in. (It’s not that hard just have to follow the steps correctly)
    My truck originally came from Florida and then was re registered to California, but under the same owner. So I’m guessing they moved across the country, probably dragging a heavy u-haul and toasted the torque converter. Just a hunch but it would make sense.

Products Discussed in

To Top