1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

P0705 4Lo blinking, Trac Off, R illuminated

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Luthersnow74, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Jul 11, 2020 at 10:26 PM
    Luthersnow74

Luthersnow74 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2012 CrewMax
    Hi everyone,

I have a 2012 CrewMax 5.7. I’m getting error code P0705, with 4Lo blinking, “trac off, “check engine”, and the Reverse indicator is illuminated regardless of what gear I’m in. The back up camera is also on regardless of the gear but goes off after a few minutes then doesn’t come on again until I restart it. All fuses have been verified good and the range sensor has been replaced. AIP bypass kit installed. Removed the trailer connector and tested the connections. All good. This happened about a year or so ago. It went away on its own and didn’t happen again for a year. Now I can’t clear the codes and can’t find a solution. The P0705 now shows as “Permanent” on my scanner. This issue is driving me batty. I can’t find any wire damage. I’m truly at a loss. If anyone has any insight I would be eternally grateful. Thank you.

2. Jul 12, 2020 at 10:09 AM
    FWD Tundra

FWD Tundra New Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 4WD Double Cab
    With the reverse light on all the time, that is where I would start looking. If it shows reverse then that triggers your camera. With a check engine light on it disconnects the Trac function. I probably would look into the transmission range switch first. This switch is also known as a pressure switch, Park Neutral Position switch (PNP), the gear selection switch, or a PRNDL input switch. Get that ironed out first then see what is next. I bet it all stems to the range switch, broken wire, bad connection, bad switch, etc.

3. Jul 12, 2020 at 10:23 AM
    Luthersnow74

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2012 CrewMax
    Thank you. I have replaced the Range Sensor. Still getting the same indicator lights and a P0705 code. If it helps anyone, my reader has the P0705 code marked as "Permanent". I also found some info on testing the old range sensor, and I couldn't find any issues with it. I'm kind of assuming at this point that some animal has chewed the wiring. I live in a pretty rural area and we have lots of critters. I haven't had a chance to check the wiring more than a cursory once over. I didn't see anything obvious, but I'll keep looking.

4. Jul 12, 2020 at 10:39 AM
    sf319

sf319 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2014 CM Barcelona Red SR5 5.7
    Dash Cam|PowerStop Z36|DIY bed rails|DIY Pop-n-Lock|LED interior
    You mentioned the range selector sensor was replaced, was that performed by yourself, or a reputable shop? I ask mostly because if a shop "replaced" the sensor then they didn't finish their job. I would take it back to them for further analysis. If you performed the replacement, did you notice any rodent issues while it was apart. Next question gets "sticky," have you or a passenger spilled anything on the center console near the gear selector? It could be just gunk that has built up in the selector causing the sensor to malfunction.

The reverse lights are a indication that the ECU's aren't communicating. The Transmission ECU sounds to be working correctly if you can drive it, but the Main ECU, that controls lights and your CEL, isn't getting the signals that you aren't in reverse anymore.

After I bought my '14, I kept getting an SRS light warning. I would only see it occassionaly and it would never last through a restart, but it was more frequent when the heater was turned on. So one day I just started digging. The code was for the seat sensors, so I started with the passenger seat, disconnected the battery and re-seated ALL connectors for the seat sensors. it came back a couple days later. So I went to the drivers seat. What I found pissed me off a lot. The previous owner had leather seats installed, however it looks like during install they didn't tie them up, and it got caught in the seat slide. Being a power seat, it did quite a bit of damage. The idiot, owner or installer, didn't fix it properly and just twisted the wires together and taped it up. The twist wasn't very good and came loose. There was also quite a bit of damage further down the wire that kept shorting out I think, both causing the SRS error I assume. I ended up having to cut out about 2 inches of the loom and splice it back together then re-routing it to prevent that from happening again. Fortunately I was able to cut back enough sheathing to give me enough slack. I will need to replace the section of the loom to allow the seat to move all the way forward now, I am taller and my wife doesn't drive my truck all that much so I am not too concerned. What pissed me off was that the lines that were damaged were for the airbags and seat sensor. If it had shorted out just right while driving they could have gone off, or failed to go off in an accident.

Morale of my story: wiring can be tricky, one little kink of the coper can caus it to break and you might not even notice it. Definitely check the wiring. The center console comes apart fairly easily so should be a quick 1 or 2 hour job to verify the wiring is clean.

As an FYI, the wiring loom for the cabin runs about $2000 for the part, or $300-400 used. But in my case I was able to splice mine together with solder and heat shrink.

5. Jul 12, 2020 at 11:07 AM
    Luthersnow74

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2012 CrewMax
    I hadn't even thought of the gear selector itself having any sensors. My experience is mostly with older vehicles, so I kind of assumed it was just the linkage to the transmission and the ECM used info from the Range Sensor to determine the selected gear. I will check that out. It would not surprise me if there previous owner had spilled something. I bought it as a trade in, but had to do quite a bit of deep cleaning after I got it home. Thank you, I will check that out.

6. Jul 12, 2020 at 5:11 PM
    sf319

sf319 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    When I pulled apart both my Tundra's center consoles, they were in dire need of cleaning. They were both "detailed" by the dealership I purchased them from, but that obviously only goes skin deep. I had to pull apart the gear selector on my '14 because it was caked in sludge, the park release for towing was almost glued shut.

A lot of people don't realize how much of our new cars are "fly by wire" now. The old school manual shifter's are almost gone, even the old automatics had some manual components to them. These trucks are all ECU controlled. Heck, even my manual transmission Tacoma had limiters and such to keep you from redlining the engine.

7. Jul 13, 2020 at 9:17 PM
    FWD Tundra

FWD Tundra New Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 4WD Double Cab
    Like I said trouble shoot the reverse light and it will probably fix all your problems.

sf319 likes this.
  8. Aug 26, 2020 at 1:34 PM
    Luthersnow74

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2012 CrewMax
    Just wanted to follow up on this. Seems I had several issues. I ended up taking it into a shop, and discovered several issues that were "band-aided" back into service by the previous owner. Several wires had damage and were exposed. Appears to have been critters. The previous owner "repaired" it by taping it with electrical tape. The tape didn't hold up well and was allowing water to permeate the wire shielding. Apparently the previous owner also installed a remote start unit. They attempted to modify the fuse-box to accommodate the additional fuse. In the process they cracked the fuse-box assembly causing the backup fuse to make intermittent contact. The crack had been sealed with some sort of glue that didn't seem to be doing a very good job of holding things together. After approximately 3 weeks of troubleshooting, they also discovered the backup camera in the mirror was shorting out. Honestly, the backup camera is probably what was triggering the issues and the trouble codes, but the other issues were definitely contributing. The P0705 error finally cleared for good after replacing the entire mirror assembly. Thank you everyone for your help and advice. Hopefully this helps someone else save some time and money.

Black Wolf and sf319 like this.
  9. Aug 26, 2020 at 3:43 PM
    sf319

sf319 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Those damn wires will get you every time. Glad you got it figured out. That must have been a fun job tracing down those issues. Previous owners are always cursed, I had a guy I sold my Tacoma to, call me for weeks telling me he found something new that I didn't "disclose" to him. The funny part is I was the second owner of the truck so most of the issues were there before I even got the truck. I had to block his number.

Black Wolf likes this.
  10. Aug 26, 2020 at 3:48 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Off topic. My last name is Luther.....and I have a brother named Mark....don't tell me you live in Orygun.....

Products Discussed in

To Top