1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

P0500 after 0 degree weather

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by patterson.walter, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Feb 18, 2021 at 8:06 AM
    patterson.walter

patterson.walter [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Walter
    Vehicle:
    2007 white SR5 5.7 db cab
    2007 5.7 dblcab 2wd 178000mil (trans rebuilt 175000)
    After a few days of freezing weather I started her up and got ABS, Brake and engine light that presented with no speedometer. I have looked for evidence of rodents and made sure that the connectors were seated properly and the wires were intact. After using a simple scan tool to read both ABS and engine codes all that was recorded was a P0500 and freeze frame data shows that MPH = 0.

If this is a sensor which one on the truck would it be(I am assuming its the on on the output of trans). i searched the forums and web and looks like there are 2 in the trans and 1 for each wheel. no ABS codes so thinking its the trans sensor. I bought the truck a month ago and the trans is under warranty but not the sensors that attach to it.

Plz let me know if y'all have any ideas what this could be Thank you.

2. Feb 18, 2021 at 2:06 PM
    audiowize

audiowize New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul B.
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR-5 4x4 5.7
    Here's the factory debugging procedure. When you say that freeze frame data shows 0mph, do you know which sensor you're looking at? Ideally you'd want to monitor all the sensors and drive around in order to look for a dropout, then that can narrow you down to either a bad sensor or wiring damage between the sensor and the ECU (both are equally likely in my experience).

Attached Files:

3. Feb 18, 2021 at 4:04 PM
    patterson.walter

Member:
    First Name:
    Walter
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for that sheet i will run through it and see what i can find figure out.

Sadly no my scan tool is too basic to tell me which sensor is not reporting :( all that is shown is that "vehicle speed <MPH> = 0" when driving. This is even true for the live data and live data only gives me info for the engine and emissions. I may have to pay for a diagnosis in the end.

4. Feb 20, 2021 at 12:52 PM
    Dalandshark

Dalandshark Infected with 5G

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra SR5 5.7 Longbed
    Eibach Level LIft
    @patterson.walter Check wires to speed sensor at transmission. Pull and clean sensor. Re-install and reset light. If one of those doesn’t work, will likely need to replace the sensor. Any amount of googling will lead to the sensor at transmission, the wheel speed sensors will throw an abs code for sure and I don’t believe feed any info for vehicle speed/speedometer. Abs and TCC uses those to compare wheel speeds.

5. Feb 22, 2021 at 6:45 AM
    patterson.walter

Member:
    First Name:
    Walter
    Vehicle:
    Thank you both for replies. After running though and reseating the connectors, I both cleaned the sensor and their connectors. I went as far as switching the trans sensors to see if I could get the codes to move (no change). I ended up in the fuse box (where i should have started in retrospect). Fuse was not burnt out so pulled it for further inspection and it looked good. Placed the fuse back in and problem solved all lights off. Looks like the cold snap disconnected the power at the fuse :notsure: Glad the fix was free LOL

Products Discussed in

To Top