1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

VF Tuner 3UR Support - Development Tools

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by OVTune, Apr 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 24, 2019 at 6:31 AM
    MSU Tundra

MSU Tundra Numerous rodeos experienced

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra and 2013 LC200
    My setup with Unichip isn't terrible, but I fear that it is running too lean and the shift points leave a little to be desired.

2. May 24, 2019 at 8:12 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle
    Not much longer now :)

Dyno results will be published as follows >
    1. Bone stock truck performance tune 91 octane, 93 octane
    2. Truck with full exhaust (including header) 91 and 93 octane
    3. Truck with Supercharger (Harrop TVS2650) 91 and 93 octane
    4. Truck with Supercharger (harrop TVS2650) with full exhaust, 91 and 93 octane.

Image-6.jpg

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  3. May 24, 2019 at 8:57 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle
    We're retuning a FFV right now that was previously unichipped. Junk in my opinion now that stock ECU solution exists.

4. May 24, 2019 at 9:11 AM
    MSU Tundra

MSU Tundra Numerous rodeos experienced

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra and 2013 LC200
    Mine is non-ffv so I think that helps. But like I said, I'll bring it to you as soon as you have the 2019 figured out!

5. May 24, 2019 at 10:41 AM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    Can't wait to see someone that has the bullydog or dap, and tries this guy. As someone who has the dap tune, I'm interested to hear the comparison.

Wynnded likes this.
  6. May 24, 2019 at 10:44 AM
    UTTundra

UTTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Utah
    I have DAP and was thinking about going with @OVTune depending on if there's a group buy at release.

Wynnded likes this.
  7. May 24, 2019 at 5:16 PM
    Yota100

Yota100 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra 4x4 97 T100 4x4
    14 Tundra 2.5 kings all around with remote reservoir and adjusters with 700# springs Total chaos bushing style control arms Camburg 1.5 inch lift shackles Coachbuilder polt bushings in leaf springs Bmc and front bumper trimmed 37x12.50x17 toyo MTs 17 inch Icon rebounds +25 offset 5% tint Winjet taillights True dual flowmaster super 40s ARB summit bumper Smittybuilt 12k winch White Knuckle Offroad sliders
    What brand headers and exhaust will you be running for the dyno results on the tunes?

UTTundra and Ace402 like this.
  8. May 24, 2019 at 6:27 PM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle
    Our own developed header/exhaust

airosey likes this.
  9. May 24, 2019 at 6:30 PM
    Yota100

Yota100 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra 4x4 97 T100 4x4
    14 Tundra 2.5 kings all around with remote reservoir and adjusters with 700# springs Total chaos bushing style control arms Camburg 1.5 inch lift shackles Coachbuilder polt bushings in leaf springs Bmc and front bumper trimmed 37x12.50x17 toyo MTs 17 inch Icon rebounds +25 offset 5% tint Winjet taillights True dual flowmaster super 40s ARB summit bumper Smittybuilt 12k winch White Knuckle Offroad sliders
    Interesting will be cool to see more options on headers coming out if available to the public later

10. May 24, 2019 at 6:32 PM
    YotaMan

YotaMan Silver Bullet

Member:
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2021 Platinum
    And hopefully these will be for sale as well?

11. May 24, 2019 at 6:45 PM
    alpinepro4

alpinepro4 What is your MPG Today!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement DC
    Baja Designs Squadron Sport Fog lights, ARE CX Series Topper, Alcan Springs , DAP Tune, Coach Builder +1 Shackles, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED bulbs, HR LED interior bulbs. General Grabber ATX 275/70/R18
    I have a DAP tune and would like to give it a go too.

TruckyTruck and Wynnded like this.
  12. May 24, 2019 at 6:47 PM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    Awesome! I'll be interested to hear how they compare!

UTTundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. May 24, 2019 at 11:18 PM
    Hobbesdsm

Hobbesdsm New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Vehicle:
    2016 crewmax limited
    TRD exhaust and rear sway bar, 2018 led headlights
    :popcorn: Really interested on dyno results!And overall comparison to the other tunes!

14. May 25, 2019 at 4:12 AM
    endagon

endagon New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra SR5 5.7
    Excited for this. No more 5400 rpm 1st gear redline.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    UTTundra likes this.
  15. May 25, 2019 at 9:23 AM
    MrMax

MrMax Introvertigo Eximious Geargasm

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Eastern Iowa, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Crewmax S/C TRD Rock Warrior
    I am currently Bully Dog Tuned 5.7FFV SC with Magnuson and awaiting Matt to finish and send my tune(91octane, Gear locking and Tune2 Towing oriented instead of performance. While I wont bother with a dyno as this is primary just my tow rig, I will post regarding my thoughts and perceptions of both tunes and features.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Watt maker and Midway like this.
  16. May 25, 2019 at 10:51 AM
    GAknight

GAknight New Member

Member:
    Shade of a Pine, GA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TSS 4x4
    Too many…scratch that…not done yet.
  17. May 25, 2019 at 11:16 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle

Working on the custom code on your ECU CG51 ecu right now. We should have it ready hopefully by Monday!

Just to show you guys what we are doing here. We don't just adjust a few maps or make a "tune."
    We rewrite processor instructions, implement our own code at the binary level.
    To make the truck have features that are impossible to have otherwise.

12.jpg

18. May 25, 2019 at 11:32 AM
    endagon

endagon New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra SR5 5.7
    Resistance is futile! My mod budget may be assimilated

GAknight likes this.
  19. May 25, 2019 at 4:22 PM
    alpinepro4

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement DC
    Baja Designs Squadron Sport Fog lights, ARE CX Series Topper, Alcan Springs , DAP Tune, Coach Builder +1 Shackles, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED bulbs, HR LED interior bulbs. General Grabber ATX 275/70/R18
    @OVTune can the dealership detect the tune? Can you un install it at anytime in case you need warranty work?

20. May 25, 2019 at 6:12 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    @OVTune I have the dap tune on my truck right now. I think it's been a couple of years. And a cat back dual exhaust from dirtydeeds. This dap tune is the third company I've tried on my truck. It brought more low end to and of course got rid of the tq management. My truck has never run better.

If you or anyone else could tell me how your tune would be better and how much better, I would be happy to try a fourth company. I guess what I want to know is how much difference would I notice.

One big thing with using dap was the fact that it left the factory ffv algorithm in place. In the 2nd gens, Toyota finally got it right and my truck stopped thinking it was running ethanol. Will your tune leave that in place?

Danimal86 likes this.
  21. May 25, 2019 at 6:32 PM
    alpinepro4

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement DC
    :popcorn:

TruckyTruck[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. May 26, 2019 at 1:15 PM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle
    Cannot be detected.

There are several reasons why we feel our Calibration is superior to any other on the market. However if you're happy with your tune great.

1. The features that we have outlined, developed, and new ones we are making right now are exclusively developed by us, in house. No other tune is going to offer this the way we do, or with the code we have.
    2. The factory FFV algorithm can be an issue when supercharging the truck, along with several fuel tables that need correctly modified. TO DATE, we have not seen any company that has successfully tuned FFV trucks with a supercharger issue free, check engine free, making same or more power than a TRD counterpart (except one company, ProSpeed, using HPTuners). You see requirements like fuel pump "boosters" or other junk options out there, to make up for lack of ability of what is capable to do via calibration.
    This is only modified when required, on S/C trucks. N/A trucks do not need such things.
    3. We own a Flex Fuel truck specifically for this development. Who else does? We are giving the attention to the trucks that have been historically given the least and inferior attention to in the past by other tuners / companies.
    4. Everything we do we share. No hiding behind mystery of things like "deleting torque management" or "disabling nannies" etc. We Calibrate the tables and code in the ecu to give a desired result, and we explain what we do.
    5. We are not offering canned / OTS / handheld 1 and done tunes with no data or feedback. Our kit offers datalogging and we make any necessary revision to ensure your truck is running properly.
    6. Our calibration service doesn't end when your tune is done. When we do something new, when we create a new feature, customers can obtain these updates for free, when they are released.

I can guarantee you that your tune did not "get rid of the torque management." (if taken literally). This is an easy thing to say but really can only be said from an actual lack of understanding from tuner and or customers part on how "torque" is used in the ECU. I understand this is something that DAP advertises "Torque Management Removed." I would ask for a clarification of exactly what that means. Why? Because the Torque modeling of the ECU is necessary to calculate everything. A proper tune does not "remove" or "eliminate" torque management. Instead it TUNES Torque Modeling tables and code in the ECU to function properly with all corresponding tables and code.

"Torque Management removed" needs some clarification for me to give you a proper answer. Because reading it at face value is impossible to do. I honestly don't want to make guesses on what they are trying to advertise, so I'd ask for a clarification on exactly what "Torque Management Removed" actually means.

Simply put, others are offering tunes that can only adhere to the limitations of the stock ecu. We are offering tunes that can go outside the boundary of what the stock ecu is capable of.

ryanwgregg, GAknight, jc153 and 9 others like this.
  23. May 26, 2019 at 2:10 PM
    YotaMan

YotaMan Silver Bullet

Member:
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2021 Platinum
    Please take my money!

24. May 26, 2019 at 2:48 PM
    alpinepro4

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement DC
    I think you have me sold! I like all the data you give, and in-depth explanation of what your tune does. I love my DAP tune but I know more can be done to improve shifting and throttle management. Great you give updates on tunes. DAP does not offer this. At least not that I know of.

TruckyTruck and airosey like this.
  25. May 26, 2019 at 4:43 PM
    YotaMan

YotaMan Silver Bullet

Member:
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2021 Platinum
    Will the tune be adaptable? As in no, or little cost as mods are added to the truck? Say I buy your tune (im a stock FFV) and decide to add catback, headers or supercharger at a later time....can those add-ons just be implemented (retuned) to the tune I purchased originally? ie...futureproof

26. May 26, 2019 at 8:37 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I made inquiries on this subject and ...crickets. This will be my next purchase.

GAknight likes this.
  27. May 26, 2019 at 9:50 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    I probably put you on the spot a little, but I'm always looking for what will make my truck perform better. I appreciate the detailed response. It was good and exactly what I was looking for from you.

I definitely don't understand the ins and outs of how the programming works. But I sure know how my truck should feel when I drive it. From the factory, it felt like a slug. And the previous "tuners" Ive owned either caused my truck to act up or didn't really feel like much had improved over stock. Dap was the only one so far that didn't cause any issues and improved performance at the same time.

I asked about the ffv algorithm because, when I owned a bullydog tuner, it flashed over the existing and updated programming from Toyota, with the older fuel algorithm. I had to get Toyota to reflash with the fix for 2nd gen ffvs. Dap told me his tune wouldn't remove that.

As far as removing the torque management, maybe I looked like to big of an ape to have something like that explained to me... And that's probably true.

I don't plan on supercharging my truck. But I will eventually have long tube headers. If I had your tune in place and install headers, would I need to get back with you to have any changes made?

And one last question. When I load your tune for the first time, will it matter that my truck has the dap tune? I have no way to put my truck back to stock, since I went to his shop and had the flash done by him. To get it back to stock, I would have to go to a Toyota dealership.

Bottom line. If your company does it best, I'd be willing to send you my hard earned money! We all just need a shove in the right direction sometimes.

Thanks!

Edit: well, I just went through all of the posts here, your websites blog, all your videos and some of the 2200+ pages on Tacoma world.

Sign me up for the group buy!

28. May 27, 2019 at 11:43 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle
    Thanks everyone. We really aren't here to try to compare to other tunes or tuners. Or get into the this vs that. Our goal is to develop our tune, our features, and provide the best calibration and service we can to the Tundra community. We don't really know what other tuners offer, as our goal here is not to make a "competing tune."
    Instead, we are offering, and developing a whole new platform. Not just a "map vs map" type of thing. A tuned calibration with tons of additional, previously impossible, features. Hopefully that makes some sense. We're making new features, and you get engine and transmission tuning on top.

Depends. Usually we do all development updates for free (for example if we release an all new feature). And you get customization with your primary tune as an option. But lets say you had a bone stock truck. We dialed it in, then you did a bunch of mods after, to dial back in would be a service fee.
    Updating to S/C and S/C Features (some stuff we've designed specifically for S/C Trucks) would be a small service fee.

29. May 27, 2019 at 1:26 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Understandable.

One more question to help myself and others prepare, and I'll get out of your hair.

Will a previously programmed truck need to be set back to the factory tune in order to install your program?

Thanks

30. May 27, 2019 at 1:47 PM
    GAknight

GAknight New Member

Member:
    Shade of a Pine, GA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TSS 4x4
    Too many…scratch that…not done yet.
    Sorry if I've missed this somewhere...
    Can I/we assume the transmission and shift table tuning will speed up the shift times in both automatic and (ESPECIALLY) sequential driving modes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top