1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

VF Tuner 3UR Support - Development Tools

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by OVTune, Apr 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 14, 2020 at 7:53 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    Full LT, full armor, fully self contained Speed Glamper
    Exactly. Its amazing to me how many people in this thread instantly sht on even the slightest complaint. there is nothing wrong with sharing a negative experience.

jc153[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Jul 14, 2020 at 7:54 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle

You have to think for a minute, this goes both ways.
    We don't hide that we don't have a phone number.
    Our email is all over our website and on our instructions.

Customer service email right at the top of our page.

I Think it is wholly unfair to blame us and have a negative experience for not having a phone number. Or to say you haven't heard from us in months because you weren't emailing our customer service email.

If you buy our kit and expect a phone number and get mad that we don't have a phone number, and use the improper channels to try to communicate with us, you're not going to have a good time.
    That's more than half the people who have had concerns with us.

Wynnded and shellshock like this.
  3. Jul 14, 2020 at 7:56 AM
    jc153

jc153 Speed-ish Glamper

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tundra Ltd CM 4x4
    TC Front Long Travel, ADV Glass Fenders & Bedsides, TC Spindle Gussets & King LT Coilovers, RCV Axles, DuroBumps, CB Steering & Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, SDHQ ABS Sensor Shields, Rear 3.0 ADS Triple Bypasses w/MCM Fab Under Bed Shock Mount Relocation, SUA Deaver I96HD Springs & TC Shackles, MCM Fab Rear Hydro Bumpstop Kit, Solid Offroad Engine Mounts, 17" Method Standards, 37/12.5/17 Toyo RT's, Nitro 488 Gears w/Auburn LSD, Evil Off Road Bumpers, RCI Skid Plates, White Knuckle Sliders, Dirty Deeds Ind. BAMuffler 8" Catback, Baja Designs Lighting, SwitchPros Controller, Custom PS Cooler Relocation Kit, Custom Dual Battery Setup
    Are you saying more than half the people have had bad experiences?

osidepunker likes this.
  4. Jul 14, 2020 at 7:57 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle
    No, I am saying more than half the people "who had have a bad experience" are people who either don't follow instructions or don't communicate with us through the designated communicated method.

There are a few people who have had a negative experience which is entirely our fault. Delays, inability to get their specific ROM file, or like the Sequoia who it was our fault for not backing up files when our laptop got destroyed.
    Thankfully he ran an IT business and recovered our data on it, but it was a drawn out process on our side.

I'm not afraid to say we aren't perfect. no business is. We did get a little overwhelmed with just how many Tundras there are and how many unique IDs exist.

5. Jul 14, 2020 at 7:58 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    sounds like your "designated communicated method" is giving "more than half" of your customers a bad experience...

Are you expecting to meet your July 31st deadline??

6. Jul 14, 2020 at 8:01 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle

Yes we are still working on meeting our end of month update timeline.

MrMax, ryanwgregg, Vr0ck and 3 others like this.
  7. Jul 14, 2020 at 8:02 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    Thanks Mat, looking forward to it :thumbsup:

jc153 likes this.
  8. Jul 14, 2020 at 8:02 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle

Have you tested the file I sent you earlier for 4low?

jc153 likes this.
  9. Jul 14, 2020 at 8:03 AM
    Cuban11182

Cuban11182 New Member

Member:
    Hope Mills, NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited
    Kings w/ adjusters, Icon Rebound with Discover AT3 LT 285/75/R17, Airlift bags, ARB dual compressor, OV Tuning,
    Maybe their experiences are different because 1 their expectations are different (because they realize that he is super busy, and this is a BETA tune), and 2 they're not impatient little shitz. If they understand 1, then they need to have patience. Maybe 20 years of military service instilled in me the mentality of hurry up and wait. Who knows?

Sharing experiences is one thing, placing your own (not yours, but the customers with the issues) expectations on others and then having a tantrum because they didn't meet YOUR (not yours, the customers with the issues) expectations is silly. Bashing a product, or it's creator because they think that Mat should have a phone number. Mat should have someone to respond to emails. Mat should hire someone to help him. Mat should do this or that. Should Mat come to each one of our trucks to make sure the tune is right if we run into issues? Should he come over and plug in the dongle to our computers? No of course not. Now if you expect that, and you don't get that, how does your experience compare to someone like me who can plug stuff into the computer and tune the truck.

We all take risks doing this. Bitching and moaning because you're not getting your way isn't a way to get problems solved.

That's just my two cents worth of opinion. And we all know what they say about opinions right?

10. Jul 14, 2020 at 8:05 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    Sry man, I had my entire rear axle rebuilt/modified so the truck has been down for a minute. We're doing a trip July 23-26 and I'll give it shot on that weekend. I'll keep you posted and thanks for making the changes

jc153 likes this.
  11. Jul 14, 2020 at 8:08 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle
    Okay great, I'm hoping it solves it before the 31rst so it can all be wrapped into a file file at the end of the month.

jc153 likes this.
  12. Jul 14, 2020 at 8:08 AM
    jc153

jc153 Speed-ish Glamper

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tundra Ltd CM 4x4
    TC Front Long Travel, ADV Glass Fenders & Bedsides, TC Spindle Gussets & King LT Coilovers, RCV Axles, DuroBumps, CB Steering & Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, SDHQ ABS Sensor Shields, Rear 3.0 ADS Triple Bypasses w/MCM Fab Under Bed Shock Mount Relocation, SUA Deaver I96HD Springs & TC Shackles, MCM Fab Rear Hydro Bumpstop Kit, Solid Offroad Engine Mounts, 17" Method Standards, 37/12.5/17 Toyo RT's, Nitro 488 Gears w/Auburn LSD, Evil Off Road Bumpers, RCI Skid Plates, White Knuckle Sliders, Dirty Deeds Ind. BAMuffler 8" Catback, Baja Designs Lighting, SwitchPros Controller, Custom PS Cooler Relocation Kit, Custom Dual Battery Setup
    No one expects perfection from any business. That said your product is unique and comes with it’s own set of circumstances that sometimes require unique solutions.
    Not having a phone number wasn’t an issue for me until I ran into issues with software downloads, etc. and needed help navigating through them.
    As an example, most of us aren’t IT guys and I for one spent hours trying to figure something out that could probably be fixed in minutes if I could have talked through it.
    Anyway, thanks for responding in here Mat and I’m looking forward to the finished product.

snivilous likes this.
  13. Jul 14, 2020 at 8:12 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    I'll report back as soon as I get cell service

jc153 likes this.
  14. Jul 14, 2020 at 8:12 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle

Believe me I know it isn't the easiest software to use. And the code protection on it makes it difficult all because of anti viruses.
    Even with our new software, fully code signed by microsoft to show as "safe" still gets flagged. I don't know what else to do in that realm.

I actually use to have a phone number. I used to do help over the phone. It slowly went from 5 to 10 minute convos to 3 hour long walk me through every single sentence...
    This was back when I also offered ecutek stuff. It made it impossible to work whilesitting on the phone.

I know we are slow with what we do. Tacoma guys hate waiting too, although they generally get updates faster than anyone (due to them being majority of our customers), but it's hard to explain to people how hard it is to hire someone to do this stuff.
    Luckily I'm not all alone, Rafael is a tremendous help. But we are only 2 people.

Wynnded and jc153[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Jul 14, 2020 at 8:13 AM
    jc153

jc153 Speed-ish Glamper

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tundra Ltd CM 4x4
    I think you may be simplifying things too much. Timelines for this tune have been continuously pushed back so I understand people’s frustration and allow for it.
    Anyway, like you said, my 2 cents.

16. Jul 14, 2020 at 8:37 AM
    Cuban11182

Cuban11182 New Member

Member:
    Hope Mills, NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited
    Kings w/ adjusters, Icon Rebound with Discover AT3 LT 285/75/R17, Airlift bags, ARB dual compressor, OV Tuning,
    I might be, I'm not sure. Sometimes you have to over simplify for those who can't figure this shit out on their own (not meaning you). Mat just pointed that when he did use his number that he would be on the phone for 3 hours. Do you think that is normal? I don't. Do you see why he wouldn't want to have a phone number? I do. Let's say that 3 people called and talked to him for 2-3 hours. That's 2-3 hours that he could be working on finishing our tunes, fixing issues, and possibly coming up with cooler stuff that no other tuner currently has (which he has done). Now think of how many gripes and complaints there would be. Sit back and be patient (not you, other customers). If you want your truck to be perfect with no potential down-time, then wait until the tune is finished. Otherwise, roll the dice like the rest of us, and then wait.

Timelines for the tune have been continually pushed back because of the difficulties of coding. Hiring a contractor to build a back porch you can have a timeline, and for the most part it'll be met. Coding is an entirely different concept though. And while I'm not very smart in coding, I'm about to start my second degree in Computer Science, so I'm pretty sure I'll experience firsthand the difficulties that Mat is dealing with.

I can understand frustrations. When you're told to contact via Zendesk, and you don't because you thought it might be better to write another ticket through his site, then you start the process all over. I made that mistake. I ordered vF Tuner through another ticket, and guess what; I had to wait. And I didn't bitch and moan about it, I realized that I goofed, told Mat that I was sorry, and that was it. I eventually got my vF and my file.

For every 1 person that bitches and complains there are 10 others that are happy with their tunes.

HulkSmurf14, Wynnded and shellshock like this.
  17. Jul 14, 2020 at 9:04 AM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Mat, I just wish you came here to talk about tune experiences, what's working, not working and so on. I love when you get on here and talk to us, but a lot of energy is spent on the wrong subject. Only my opinion.

So I did send this to your zendesk, but since you might still be here, I'll ask. You know I had the tune where we raised the red line in first gear about 500 rpms or so. I tested this about 8 times and got really strange results. My question is, is there some kind of learning curve for the transmission or something?

Here is what I experienced:
    4 times my rpms went to 6500, bounced off the Rev limiter and had trouble shifting to 2nd.
    3 times it went back to shifting at the original 5300 rmps
    And once it shifted perfectly at about 6100 rpms.

You know I've got 35s too.

If you are still here, what do you think? I can wait for whatever you have planned, I'm just curious if my transmission is trying to learn something.

Thanks!

18. Jul 14, 2020 at 9:06 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle

Were all tests in "D" .. .tow haul off.. etc?

TruckyTruck[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Jul 14, 2020 at 9:13 AM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Yes sir, only in D. Everything else off.

20. Jul 15, 2020 at 5:19 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle
    hmmm it should not be, but there are different shift tables for different modes.

The thing is the shift tables are controlled by accelerator angle, so if you change it even a little, it can change the calculation for when it shifts.

Say you *think* you're at full 100% throttle, but actually at 96%...it will shift at a different point.

21. Jul 15, 2020 at 5:30 AM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Ok, I didn't think it should vary. I'll pay attention to the pedal next time, although I thought i had it pressed all the way. This morning I tried it twice. The first Tim it shifted perfectly at 6000 and the second time it shifted at 5300. What's strange is how it went to 6500 a few times and bounced off the Rev limiter before shifting.

It didn't do that today, so I wondered if there was some sort of learning curve.

22. Jul 15, 2020 at 5:31 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle
    When this happens and it shifts early are you spinning / hitting traction control? The truck will early upshift if you lose traction at all.

23. Jul 15, 2020 at 5:57 AM
    HulkSmurf14

HulkSmurf14 ...Weighted Average...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    Tastefully enhanced...
    I tired this this morning and yes, it shifted "early" when my traction control engaged...tho I am having no issues with anything aside from optimization based off logs (running rich), this has been interesting to learn how things are "supposed" to work! This had no value to the conversations so I apologize...

TruckyTruck likes this.
  24. Jul 15, 2020 at 6:13 AM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    No, not that I can tell. There are no lights coming on and I'm not losing traction at the wheel.

25. Jul 15, 2020 at 7:40 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    To add to the murkiness.
    I tried a couple romps in 4WD. From a complete stop, in D, T/C default (on). Elevation: 8.5K feet. Slight uphill freeway entrance ramp. Twice it revved to ~5.3K rpms before shifting.

Looking at one of my logs from last week. 2WD, complete stop, in D, T/C default. Elevation: 5K feet. Slight uphill freeway entrance ramp. Tires spun and T/C intervened briefly. According to the log, it revved to just over 6K rpms before shifting.

I'm just posting this for general discussion and to pass the time. Personally I'm not a fan of insisting the engine to rev up to the limiter in 1st gear, I don't see a benefit, myself. I'm content with how it's functioning as is, I certainly don't want the engine to spin up against fuel cut. @TruckyTruck :boink::crapstorm: and I have discussed this in PMs and simply have different preferences :hattip:.

Vr0ck, TruckyTruck and HulkSmurf14 like this.
  26. Jul 15, 2020 at 8:43 AM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    I can say this, when it hits that upper range 6-6500 rpms, the motor doesn't struggle a bit. That is, when it decides to get that high. I'm fairly certain I've got the pedal pushed all the way. I was going to try a launch in 4wd to see how it shifts too.

One of the things I thought caused my shifting to early in first gear was tire size. But I'm not certain that's the cause since it will hit the correct redline in 2nd. Plus, aren't you on stock size tires?

27. Jul 15, 2020 at 9:48 AM
    Rocklobster

Rocklobster New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Crew SR5 TRD
    First, the instructed process was fine and I had no issues with it, other than timely response from them. Second, i hardly think im an impatient little sh!t when i have a legitimate frustration getting ANY or timely responses AS A PAYED CUSTOMER. Trying 4 different avenues of contact and getting slow and incomplete responses only from one is a legitimate frustration. If you dont use/monitor certain avenues of ways customers can contact your business you probably should at least make that very clear or remove them all together. The phone number concern is my legitimate feedback as a paying customer. I think it's fair. He can do with it whatever he wants. It's his show. Posting an email address at the top of the page does not necessarily tell anyone that's the ONLY way to get ahold of you. Especially when there is a contact button in the lower right hand corner of EVERY page on your website that could easily enough forward to the SAME email, but apparently does not. It's also a pretty huge logical fallacy and assumption to think i need my hand held on any of this. I simply want to know what im getting, what the current limitations are, and the quality of the expertise relative to what im asking for specifically, FROM THE VENDOR, not read from the limited knowledge and experiences of a bunch of fanbois on a forum. Not some short email response that amounts to "yah we can do that" I can tell you the red flags are enough that its unlikely ill pursue this any further and realize there is little chance of getting a refund. Oh, and it would be nice to ACTUALLY get what i paid for. I think "going on (meaning nearly) 2 months" is patience enough, when they specifically advertise 3-5 day turnaround during busy times. Live and learn, I should have tried this "whats behind door number 4" contact gauntlet before ordering.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    snivilous, jc153 and osidepunker like this.
  28. Jul 15, 2020 at 1:32 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I would think that if you were able to get a log, that might help. I'm pretty sure that one of the default PIDs is for throttle position. That would tell Mat if it's 100% or not. Not to mention some of the other probably related information that's in the log. I wondered about tire size as well, but that sounds like such a popular upgrade, that I'd think the behavior would've been encountered long ago.

Yes. The stock size tires for the 20" Limited style wheels. 275/55/20 I think.

29. Jul 15, 2020 at 3:20 PM
    Cuban11182

Cuban11182 New Member

Member:
    Hope Mills, NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited
    You do realize I was speaking generally, and it wasn't directed to you, or anyone else in particular. Right?

You're not the only person to contact Mat wrong. I admitted that I made the same mistake.

Reading through your post though I can only think of one thing. Artie Lang when he was still in the Howard Stern show.

76021a14996696449c88266b009ed059.jpg

30. Jul 16, 2020 at 1:01 PM
    Sunfish

Sunfish New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 4X4 CM Limited
    Could someone send me a link to see about getting my 17 Flex fuel flashed? I'm not a tuner and have no clue where to start. Appreciate any help or tips

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top