1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

VF Tuner 3UR Support - Development Tools

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by OVTune, Apr 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 15, 2020 at 10:29 AM
    Colorado Calvary

Colorado Calvary Cavalry blue Tundra

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    Ok thanks. Is there a number where I can call you? I wanted to discuss how the tuning and everything would work and then possibly move forward.

MR TRD PRO likes this.
  2. Jun 15, 2020 at 10:40 AM
    MR TRD PRO

MR TRD PRO New Member

Member:
    Queens, NYC
    Vehicle:
    2019 VooDoo Blue Tundra TRD Pro
    HP Tuned

Can you recommend a tuner in the NYC area? I called a somewhat local tuner shop who has a hub dyno and told them about your software and was told that they cannot do it.

3. Jun 15, 2020 at 10:41 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle
    We can do it if you order a tune pack.
    Most shops will say they can't because they just don't have experience with toyotas.

4. Jun 15, 2020 at 10:45 AM
    Colorado Calvary

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    I probably want to go this direction. Where do you order the tune pack from?

5. Jun 15, 2020 at 11:05 AM
    Colorado Calvary

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    @OVTune I looked at the website. What do I need for the 2019? Just cables and then I download the tune using my laptop? Or do I need to buy a tuner? I dont think too many shops around here are able to or want to tune the Toyota's.

What is the cost and time frame for the base tune? Does that include a certain number of revisions in the cost? Or do I need to pay if additional revisions are needed?

Apologies if this is posted somewhere else on the forum.

Thanks

6. Jun 15, 2020 at 11:21 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Have you had the chance to read through this, it has program install and registration information?
    vForest Tuner Instructions
    https://www.ovtuned.com/collections/vf/products/vf-tuner-software

7. Jun 15, 2020 at 11:23 AM
    Colorado Calvary

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
  8. Jun 15, 2020 at 11:24 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    That may chip away at some of the information your not familiar with. :thumbsup:

9. Jun 15, 2020 at 12:52 PM
    Colorado Calvary

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    @OVTune

Thanks for the info, I read through it and I think I have a good grasp of what is needed. It looks like I should start by purchasing:
    https://www.ovtuned.com/collections/vf/products/vforest-tuner-software-flash-cable software + flash cable at $379.99
    and
    https://www.ovtuned.com/products/tu...53911&pr_ref_pid=4435597525079&pr_seq=uniform Tundra Tune pack for $250

-So if I understand correctly, I download the software and first have to scan and send my stock tune in. Once I download that, it uses 4 credits to unlock the ECU?

-Once that is done, there is a base tune for the supercharged 2019 Tundra that I can download from the 5.7 Tune Pack? Does that require any additional credits? I am at 5800 altitude and run 91 octane, will that work good with whatever base tune is part of the tune pack?

-I have read about the data logging and updates. After downloading the tune from the Tundra Tune Pack, do I need to log the data and send it in? I still dont understand the cost for additional logging and updates (if needed) to the tune. Does each new update to the tune require credits to download and flash?

Also, is the shift issue from 2-3rd a common thing after 1st installing the tune? Or was that just an isolated incident?

What is everyone using for gauges? I was using the AFR reading I was able to get through Maestro iDatalink on my Kenwood Head unit, but it was not able to read boost. Now I have an extra phone mounted in the cupholder and leave it running Torque PRO with the Bluetooth OBD2 dongle. Seems ok, but want to make sure that is a good option as I watch the gauges after the tune.

Finally, by following the instructions, is this safe for me to do this as a newbie? I read where it says "ECU Protection - You cannot brick your ECU with our software. You can always recover it." and that makes me feel better. I am not looking to tune in order to push the limits of my truck, I just want to make sure I am running as good as possible while still within "safe range".

Thanks for all the help!

MR TRD PRO and HulkSmurf14 like this.
  10. Jun 15, 2020 at 4:35 PM
    Colorado Calvary

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    @OVTune Sorry for so many posts! I just read through almost all 127 pages of this thread. It seems I was confused by the earlier posts from people who had purchased the flash kit.

I see that the VF Tuner and Tundra Tune Pack is all that is available for the 2019, and that individual tuning is not available. That makes sense after reading this and the TACO forum and seeing how much work you have.

At this time I have no desire (or time unfortunately) to create my own tune. As of now I am running the Harrop 2650 on the stock tune. If I use the supercharged base tune in the Tune Pack, is that likely better than running stock?

I have AFe high flow filter in stock air box and BAMuffler 10" system, no other performance mods.

11. Jun 15, 2020 at 5:24 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I'll answer what I'm able to.

After you make your purchase, you wait to be emailed your Master Key to install/register the vF Software. The first 16 pages of the instructions are just to install/register the vF Software to your laptop. In the version that I have, the “TOYOTA FLASH TOOL” button isn't in the same location as in the example, pay attention to that.

Not quite yet, later.

When you open the Flash Tool, a System ID is generated, email that to Mat in the format noted on page 18.

Then OVTune will email you a Registry Key. Install that by clicking on it and following the prompts, you don't have to have the Software open.

Once you get your cable and OBDII connector, you then have to connect the laptop to the vehicle and gather the info as indicated on pages 22-23. Email that to OVTune in the format indicated. The drivers for the cable are here.

I think so.

This is when 4 of the 5 free credits are used.

The base tune that you can now download should be a basic and safe tune.

Drive it for a few days or a week before bothering collecting and sending in logs. I think that everyone is eligible for a couple free updates/revisions. If you're going to want/need more, or something special, there will be a fee. You will need more credits if you want to download a tune for another ECU (say, your friend/neighbors truck). I suspect that this can only be done via your laptop though. There may be other restrictions.

The factory AFR sensor is limited and cannot read down to the ratios that you may want to see at WOT. You'll have to purchase and find someone to weld you in a wideband sensor. There are no sensors to read boost in a factory N/A truck.

There are some protections in place, say your trucks battery isn't fully charged (connect a battery charger when flashing if you're not sure), or somehow the cable gets disconnected during a flash. Down the road, Mat's going to try to make some videos to enable folks to get a little bit more familiarized with the software. If you feel qualified to define yourself as a "newbie", then I'd feel pretty confident guessing that anything Mat sends you after the first update/revision is going to be better that most of us are going to be able to do ourselves.

Colorado Calvary and TruckyTruck like this.
  12. Jun 15, 2020 at 5:56 PM
    MR TRD PRO

MR TRD PRO New Member

Member:
    Queens, NYC
    Vehicle:
    2019 VooDoo Blue Tundra TRD Pro
    HP Tuned

This seems all too complicated to me..maybe I just dont have the patience or bandwidth to learn. I wish I had someone local who could do this all for me.

13. Jun 15, 2020 at 6:59 PM
    apbreaux

apbreaux New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra DC
    Intake, exhaust, remote starter, LEDs everywhere, OVTune
    Been a while, but coming back to this. Had about 1 - 1.5 mpg better vs 91 oct (with ethanol). That was after one tank, so maybe not the most scientific results. Not really sure if it had more power - it definitely didn't have less power. It may have had more, but that may have been cause I was hoping it would. Just not sure. Would have to dyno to see for sure. From what I understand, ethanol increases octane rating, which should give you more horsepower - is that correct? However, you guys are saying that non-ethanol fuel has more power per volume. Any help clearing that up? Thanks.

14. Jun 15, 2020 at 7:28 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    E0 has more BTUs (heat energy) than ethanol, given the same quantity. Ethanol is more resistant to preignition than gasoline (but has less energy). That's about the best I can do, I don't know if they can be compared without getting into a rather complex detail. Maybe there's someone around here that can distil it into sense. I may just be muddying things up. I know that a lot of power can be generated burning ethanol, but it also requires more of it to do so.

15. Jun 15, 2020 at 7:46 PM
    apbreaux

apbreaux New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra DC
    That does make sense. I believe that ethanol is preferred with forced induction. I've heard that ethanol burns "cooler" than regular gas, therefore, perhaps, under pressure it doesn't pre-ignite as you are stating. That would also make sense with the better fuel economy part of it.

HulkSmurf14 and Wynnded[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Jun 15, 2020 at 9:00 PM
    4firemandan

4firemandan Superduper Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    SWFL
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4x4, 5.7
    TRD Supercharger, Ported SC inlet, RCF TB, 4.5” intake, WMI, 2.38 pulley, custom tune, DW660 inj, aeromotive fpr, msd boost-a-pump
    E0 fuel is going to give you a little better economy and more power than a E10(regular pump gas)... think of the regular gas as a watered down version of what gas used to be in the good ol days... (which is the ethanol free).

E85 is on the other end of the spectrum and mostly ethanol which is, "technically" less powerful, yes... when comparing in equal volumes.

HOWEVER, flex fuel vehicles add about 30% when they see ethanol fuel so the power is essentially bumped back up the same as gas, although you are using more volume now....

....A side effect of more volume is more heat absorption, and therefore cooler ignition temps.... and.. under boost motors or high compression motors... the ability to run much more pressure without that nasty side effect of heat and detonation. So in THOSE motors.. Ethanol is a huge asset.

For tundras, we have not yet got to the point of being able to get an ethanol tune for SC applications, The SC flex trucks become "regular gas trucks" after adding the SC because we would need a tune that can use those flex tables and MUCH bigger injectors, pump, and new fuel lines (remember ffv requires about 30% more than gas, so a SC E85 would need to flow around 60% more than stock n/a, just to start with).

Hope that helps!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    Wynnded, shellshock and HulkSmurf14 like this.
  17. Jun 16, 2020 at 8:02 AM
    apbreaux

apbreaux New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra DC
    Definitely helps. Thanks. Think I'll stick with regular ole 91 for now. Price increase of E0 doesn't justify it for me. Really good info, though.

4firemandan[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jun 17, 2020 at 6:27 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle
    Now that full 2.0 is released on Tacoma, nothing is interfering with our Tundra development now.
    Back on track with Tundra.

Trebz, MTRock, Stroke250 and 9 others like this.
  19. Jun 17, 2020 at 7:51 AM
    Jbtaco2002

Jbtaco2002 Almost a Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    nothing cool
    Mat,

do you have an ETA for 07-09's? somewhere buried back there were posts stating this was delayed. I sent the 1st set of logs to you back in January from the Base tune, but i have been in lockdown since March, so it hasn't mattered much..

But now that i'm back to work and driving everyday, i am getting eager to update to rev 001! order#5058

i'm still seeing 13ish MPG's with the base tune with my 35's and 3" lift, when i drive sensibly (which isn't often) LOL

TY!

20. Jun 17, 2020 at 1:25 PM
    art64

art64 New Member

Member:
    Really looking forward to the finished tune--with gearlock and direct shift.

Vr0ck likes this.
  21. Jun 17, 2020 at 5:46 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Yay! My tundra isn't getting any younger... 7 years old and 163k miles now. :rolleyes: but still running strong!

I took it to South Dakota for a week. Even with all of the hills, I still managed a 16+ mpg avg. That was with a loaded down truck too.

MTRock likes this.
  22. Jun 17, 2020 at 6:01 PM
    shellshock

shellshock Guy who drives a lot

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    How?!

im still steady at 14.x :(

TruckyTruck[QUOTED] likes this.
  23. Jun 17, 2020 at 6:04 PM
    4firemandan

4firemandan Superduper Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    SWFL
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4x4, 5.7
    TRD Supercharger, Ported SC inlet, RCF TB, 4.5” intake, WMI, 2.38 pulley, custom tune, DW660 inj, aeromotive fpr, msd boost-a-pump
    Matt,
    Any update? Driving for several weeks now on the SC with the trans intermittently banging into 3 and no enrichment is making me sweat and want to park my truck.:(

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  24. Jun 17, 2020 at 6:08 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    That's with 35s and heavy toyos too. :D keep in mind, there are a lot of flat highway between Texas and SD too, but... I drove the speed limit of 70 to 75 the whole way. I tried using cruise control for a little while, but it constantly wants to use a bunch of power to maintain speed. My foot does a better job.

25. Jun 17, 2020 at 7:36 PM
    shellshock

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    Yeah... Iowa isn’t full of hills lol I’m on stock size SL tires even

apparently I’m doing something wrong lol

26. Jun 17, 2020 at 9:05 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    How many engine revisions have you had? Mat said the tune on my motor was complete. I'm wondering if data sent back to him from when my truck was on the Dyno helped dial in my motor. Or maybe it has something to do with the year model. I'm not really sure. Before I had this tune, the best I could do with driving under the speed limit and painstakingly feathering the pedal was in the 14mpg range. If I drove like I do now, what I think a normal person drives like, it would be in the 12-13 range. Probably closer to 13. I kept wondering, during my trip, if it would have been better with a functional gear lock. I guess we will see when the tune is complete.

Now towing is a different story. My camper that I pull is a 21ft Kodiak cub. Right now I'll be lucky if I can get 10mpg on flat ground with the wind behind me. But I don't have gear lock and my tow button doesn't work. I think once that's fixed I'll be seeing higher numbers.

Seuqoia11 and Wynnded like this.
  27. Jun 17, 2020 at 10:17 PM
    Rockgate

Rockgate New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Middle TN
    Vehicle:
    2022 CMLB TRD OR Prem. 4X4 and 2002 RCLBV65Spd
    On OV site it says some '19 and '20's ecu's are not supported. How would one go about finding out if their ecu was supported before buying the software? Also is gear lock and forced shifting in the basic vF software or is that in the Tundra tune pack? I would like to play around with the software before buying the tunes.

28. Jun 17, 2020 at 10:38 PM
    shellshock

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    I haven’t done any logging. We did some testing then the focus went to the Tacoma dumpster fire. Not really a big deal since my truck was parked for the winter. I pretty much just use it for big trips and towing

I’m also still waiting on the damn fuel pump recall :(

TruckyTruck[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Jun 18, 2020 at 6:34 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle
    Only 2019s. No 2020s are supported.

30. Jun 18, 2020 at 7:05 AM
    Rockgate

Rockgate New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Middle TN
    Vehicle:
    2022 CMLB TRD OR Prem. 4X4 and 2002 RCLBV65Spd
    Ok. Under "Note" while viewing the vF plus flash cable. It says certain models like 2019 and 2020 Tundra ecu's are not supported. I took it like some 2019 and all 2020 ecu'swecu's not supported. I skipped over the "like". Anyway so being I have a 2019, it will be supported?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top