1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

VF Tuner 3UR Support - Development Tools

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by OVTune, Apr 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 26, 2020 at 3:33 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Well I'm glad and grateful to have this tune on my truck. I'm really looking forward to it being completed. Thanks!

mzim, Wynnded and HulkSmurf14 like this.
  2. Mar 26, 2020 at 4:10 PM
    Rockgate

Rockgate New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Middle TN
    Vehicle:
    2022 CMLB TRD OR Prem. 4X4 and 2002 RCLBV65Spd
    What about gear locking feature? This was one reason I was wanting a tune.

3. Mar 26, 2020 at 4:20 PM
    Genuine Cooling Systems

Genuine Cooling Systems New Member Vendor

Member:
    Is the 2019+ ECUs not capable of a tune or just not worth the time to develop a tune due to the complexity?

4. Mar 26, 2020 at 4:58 PM
    2Tall

2Tall New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chance
    South MS
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White CM SR5 4x4
    How much support for updates and revisions to tunes will those of us that bought the flash kits be receiving? And will the new software work for us with the existing flash kit hardware we have?

I've sent logs from my base tune, and currently awaiting for revisions from that. I'm not interested in tuning my own truck and far from capable of it either. Also not sure I'm confident in allowing any old tuner to learn to us your software on my truck.

5. Mar 26, 2020 at 5:25 PM
    apbreaux

apbreaux New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra DC
    Intake, exhaust, remote starter, LEDs everywhere, OVTune
    Very cool.

6. Mar 26, 2020 at 5:53 PM
    mzim

mzim New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Waterloo, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra DC Silver Sky
    285/60/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers Full ARH long tube system Bilstein 6112 Front +2.7" Bilstein 5160 Rear & Icon 1.5 AAL & +2.0 Shackles Fender Flares 1D6 White Knuckle sliders TRD Grille Morimoto LED Headlights with LED DRL/sequential amber switchback turns Rigid Fogs with Square TRD Bezel 4x LED bed lamps wired in OV Tune base load with iterations coming Tech12Volt remote with 2 way fobs and range extender antenna 4.88s with Auburn TRD skid plate Koyo radiator - FAILED REINSTALLED OEM Tyger tri-fold bed cover Bed mat from Boss 4x4 Front bumper spacers 0.5 inch by Boss 4x4 Pop n Lock tailgate wired in Black badging all around Cover King Urban Cammo seat covers front/back Rough Country Floormats Halo 9 HU Underseat kicker sub JRT upgraded speakers
    Question: Will the vF tuner be fail-safe for novice tuners?

Vr0ck likes this.
  7. Mar 26, 2020 at 8:15 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    As fail-safe as running with scissors.... Ya win some, ya lose some.

shellshock, TruckyTruck and AZTundra like this.
  8. Mar 26, 2020 at 8:18 PM
    apbreaux

apbreaux New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra DC
    Intake, exhaust, remote starter, LEDs everywhere, OVTune
    mzim[QUOTED] and Wynnded like this.
  9. Mar 26, 2020 at 8:23 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    I'm not sure if I'll use it, but I think it's pretty awesome Mat will give the guys here who already purchased his tune access to his self tuning system.

Damn covid, man... Crazy stuff even messed with the orange virus!

shellshock, mzim and Wynnded[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Mar 26, 2020 at 8:31 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I suspect that I will give in.

Strange new world man, we're living in the moment of great change.....

TruckyTruck[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Mar 26, 2020 at 8:35 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    @OVTune Mat it looks like you've put a lot of work into your self tuning program. How and when will your current tundra customers be able to access it?

And when do you expect to have the current tundra tune finished? Specifically, ECU - 30CK0600

Thanks Mat

mzim and Wynnded like this.
  12. Mar 27, 2020 at 3:24 AM
    andy9743

andy9743 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    nw ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 tundra cm 4x4 trd sc, +2 pulley, 4.88s, 37's, other things
    I'm over a month now waiting on my base tune.

13. Mar 27, 2020 at 5:50 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle
    Gearlock options will be available in vF Tuner, along with other stuff we created.

We will continue support / updates / and revisions to finish custom tuning trucks that need it with our flash kit.
    In order to better assist everyone, and make it easier, I'm going to be setting up scheduled times / appointments for some trucks that need several files done (S/C trucks mostly). So we connect > log and tune all in a day.

I don't have a release date yet on when it will be available, but I will let you guys know when it is and how to get it.

We are working on sending them out and catching up on certain updates / patch functions. We will get you setup as soon as we can.

14. Mar 27, 2020 at 6:35 AM
    runningfarmer

runningfarmer New Member

Member:
    Hi Matt, What about 4.6 2017 Tundra for this tune?

15. Mar 27, 2020 at 6:45 AM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    299.9k Supercharged 2008
    I have the truck setup now so the traction control and nannies fully turn off when you start it. It seems that traction control all the way off completely over rides the tune and has it's own shift points. For instance without manually selecting 6th gear, the truck will hang out in 3rd or 4th gear until it hits 5000rpm and wont shift out of that regardless. I turn traction control back on (or go to S mode) and it'll instantly move to the highest gear. Gear lock and everything else still works when Tow/Haul is pressed. Does anyone else experience this? The truck seems to have 3 shift maps, normal, tow/haul, and traction control off. It's not an issue to put the truck in S, but if anyone else drove it right now and didn't know that it'd be chilling at 3000-4000rpm the whole time not wanting to upshift.

16. Mar 27, 2020 at 7:38 AM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Wow... I never thought to test this!

17. Mar 27, 2020 at 7:46 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Straaaaange....

18. Mar 27, 2020 at 7:53 AM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Do you have the harness from one or our members that turns it off every time you start the truck? Wonder if that has anything to do with the issue.

But if a guy with a tune goes out and turns his traction control off, does his truck transform into a slug? Lol. I'll have to try this out

19. Mar 27, 2020 at 8:12 AM
    Jbtaco2002

Jbtaco2002 Almost a Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    nothing cool
    my routine every time i start my Sequoia is to turn off all nannies. takes 8 seconds.

once driving and in sport mode, it feels to me gearlock works, and i just have base tune, so no noticeable difference in performance that i can tell. guess i should try with traction control left off.

20. Mar 27, 2020 at 8:13 AM
    andy9743

andy9743 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    nw ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 tundra cm 4x4 trd sc, +2 pulley, 4.88s, 37's, other things
    thank you for the reply Matt!

21. Mar 27, 2020 at 9:01 AM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    299.9k Supercharged 2008
    Yes but all it's doing is mimicking pushing the buttons. No different than holding the trac switch down twice to fully disable it. I had noticed it before but never really paid attention, now that the truck automatically does it at startup it got my attention. It doesn't make it a slug, if anything the truck seems to be in max sport mode, like I said it'll just chill at 3000 or 4000 rpm and act like a raped ape, but to the point it wont upshift until you either go over 5000rpm or have to S mode and convince it to go up. There's definitely something going on that doesn't happen with the first or second level of traction off (press or single hold on button); I confirmed this last night leaving the gas station and the truck wouldn't shift out of 3rd and I turned traction control back on and it instantly shifted up to 5th or 6th.

S mode works fine, gearlock works fine, just normal Drive it wants to rev its mind out and stay in the lowest possible gear without blowing itself up. It's kind of hilarious. People think the stock Tow/Haul is the fun button, try just turning everything off and the truck thinks its time to party I guess.

22. Mar 28, 2020 at 7:12 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    @OVTune

Hey Mat, this was a huge problem for my truck the first few years if it's life. This Toyota program, 30CK0600, for my second gen fixed the ethanol problem I was having. It never rose above 4-5%. I got my torque app out for the first time in a year or so and I find my truck thinks it's running 20% ethanol. :rolleyes: is your test truck a flex fuel? Have you ever checked it's ethanol? Hated to see this.

I will be sending this to zendesk, but for all of you who have a ffv, if you have a way to check your ethanol levels, I'd like to know what you come up with. Thanks.

Screenshot_20200328-210440.jpg

23. Mar 28, 2020 at 7:30 PM
    mzim

mzim New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Waterloo, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra DC Silver Sky
    285/60/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers Full ARH long tube system Bilstein 6112 Front +2.7" Bilstein 5160 Rear & Icon 1.5 AAL & +2.0 Shackles Fender Flares 1D6 White Knuckle sliders TRD Grille Morimoto LED Headlights with LED DRL/sequential amber switchback turns Rigid Fogs with Square TRD Bezel 4x LED bed lamps wired in OV Tune base load with iterations coming Tech12Volt remote with 2 way fobs and range extender antenna 4.88s with Auburn TRD skid plate Koyo radiator - FAILED REINSTALLED OEM Tyger tri-fold bed cover Bed mat from Boss 4x4 Front bumper spacers 0.5 inch by Boss 4x4 Pop n Lock tailgate wired in Black badging all around Cover King Urban Cammo seat covers front/back Rough Country Floormats Halo 9 HU Underseat kicker sub JRT upgraded speakers
    Would it matter if we've used ethanol free premium all the time. Or could this be a bug?

24. Mar 28, 2020 at 7:39 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Its a problem a bunch of tundas have. Sometimes mine would climb as high as 80%. The current 93 octane I am using certainly doesn't have 20% ethanol. I think this will probably be something Mat will have to address in the programming. At least it will with mine.

25. Mar 28, 2020 at 8:08 PM
    Seuqoia11

Seuqoia11 New Member

Member:
    I have been seeing the same thing starting late last summer but was never over 25% on Michigan pumps that are all supposed to have e10. At the time I thought the feds were loading up the pumps with extra ethanol. But when I posted about it mat said it was ecu calculated and it can jump around for a few reasons. Will have to find that post can’t remember why. This was before my base tune on stock tune. I wouldn’t think the tune would have an affect on the ethanol readings? I have not checked it since last fall I will get you some feedback next week. You can always do the real ethanol test when you fill at the pump with a glass jar and some water!

26. Mar 28, 2020 at 8:14 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Man, I don't know. The ECU program Toyota flashed to my truck completely fixed the problem. I monitored it for over a year. I would be willing to bet they somehow made the ethanol algorithm reset itself constantly. I really don't know, just a guess. It's been more than a year since I checked it and tonight I wanted to see the voltage my alternator was putting out. It was just by accident that I came across the ethanol. One thing I remembered from before the "fix" from Toyota, cold weather made it worse and the more that ethanol percentage went up, the worse my truck ran.

27. Mar 28, 2020 at 8:19 PM
    Seuqoia11

Seuqoia11 New Member

Member:
    I think winter blend would read as a higher percentage by the ecu as it has less energy than summer blend so the ecu might think the fuel has more ethanol than it does. I am sure mat can clarify all this. And I will be watching for fun again as I pretty much forgot about that all as prior it was never over 10% on random checks then all of a sudden last summer it was reading 15-24 for a lot of fill ups...

28. Mar 28, 2020 at 8:31 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    I have a terrible feeling it's not a fuel problem. My first three years of owning my truck sucked because of this. Rough starts, bad mpg and smelling rich. I couldn't use the bullydog tuner because they didn't have the updated Toyota fix. A week after I flashed the tune, it was reading 60-80% hopefully Mat will read my zendesk email and be able to fix this. I would be happy if he could just eliminate the ffv part of the tune completely. If that's even possible.

I wish I could say I was just bored and looking for something to occupy my time, but that's not the case. Still busting my ass for the railroad.:rolleyes:

29. Mar 30, 2020 at 6:23 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    Full LT, full armor, fully self contained Speed Glamper
    I noticed this problem this weekend. I thought it was my imagination. I have a problem with my VSC system so I disable traction/VSC and it was shifting funny. Kept holding higher revs

I'm still on a base tune. I'm going to data log and see how the revision works

30. Apr 1, 2020 at 6:19 AM
    Jengel451

Jengel451 Misanthropist

Member:
    The Bitterroot, MT
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona TRD Limited CrewMax
    3/1.5 Toytec/Icon AAL, 17" Rebounds, 317-70-70 ST Maxx's
    Hate to be that guy and don't want to bug Matt, but how long does it usually take to finally get the base tune in your hands once you submit vehicle info? I may have been able to get things faster if I did some of the initial setup stuff done before I got the dongle.

mzim likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top