1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

overwhelmed with information, seeking guidance

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Toe404, May 11, 2022.

1. May 11, 2022 at 9:29 AM
    Toe404

Toe404 [OP] just a poser

Member:
    First Name:
    Tomas
    Concord ,CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 Cavalry TRD Sport CM
    OK...so I jumped in on the group buy for the RRW rim group buy. due to my lack of knowledge and impulsive nature I bought a set with a non refundable deposit on the wheels, which are 0 offset. I've been searching and reading a bunch and bugging the shit out of @joonbug and @Silver17 who have both given me some great insight. just looking for some feed back from anyone who might have similar set up / mods

I have a 21' TRD Sport that's all stock at the moment. my plan is to run a 285/70/17 Falken WildPeaks AT3W. with these 0 offset wheels. I dont do any off roading, just a pavment pounding poser that's going for a more stout look and stance.

due to the offset of the rims and size of the tires I've come to the conclusion that I need to lift the truck and some trimming may be involved.

my plan is to run 5100 Bilstein's on the middle setting with coach builder rear shackles. I'm not sure what size rear shackle I need to run. the 1" or 2'? the rear 5100's say they accommodate a 1" lift but the Coach builder 1" shackle offers .625" of actual lift and the 2" is 1.25" which i assume is too much for the 5100's. I want the the truck to be level.

also with this setup do I need to do the diff drop, carrier bearing drop and brake line relocation brackets? or is that only for 3"+ lifts?

2. May 11, 2022 at 10:18 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    middle setting on 5100 will lift 1.9 inches and level the truck. If you want to stay level, leave the rear as is other than new shocks. If you want some rake, lift shackes can give back some rake and either one you mention will work. But if you want just level, lifting front 2 inches will make it level. If you tow and haul, check out RAS vs the shackles. RAS will lift about an inch, help support the weak Tundra leaf springs and no impact on ride like an add a leaf. Shackles have been known to flatten leaf springs prematurely.

No diff drop needed for 2 inch lift. You will likely need carrier bearing drop if you raise the rear at all. I needed one with 1 inch of lift to remove take off vibrations.

0 offset may mean removal of front air spats, front mud flaps and maybe some contouring of wheel well plastic. Many gingerly heat the plastic wheel well, then use a basketball to press and contour the heated plastic. Dont think you will need a BMC with that size tire, certainly would with 35s or something wider. Some need it some dont, so you will need to see how everything fits on your truck. BMC is not a huge deal, just needs to be done correctly and painted/protected.

Silver17 and Toe404[OP] like this.
  3. May 11, 2022 at 10:43 AM
    Toe404

Toe404 [OP] just a poser

Member:
    First Name:
    Tomas
    Concord ,CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 Cavalry TRD Sport CM
    I do take my motorcycle to the track, with all my gear and the bike its about 475 lbs in the bed, but that's about the extent of my hauling. if the front is lifted 1.9" I don't want the rear to sag to much lifting the front even more. I honestly don't think the bike makes any difference now but the front has quite a bit of rake stock, so I'm not sure

4. May 11, 2022 at 1:28 PM
    Silver17

Silver17 Used, but returned and sold as new member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD 4x4 Harrop SC
    Eibach pro 2.0s, toytec progressive mini AAL, ARE CX cap, Airlift bags, Harrop Supercharger, 650cc injectors, 77.5mm pulley, TRD Dual exhaust, J&L catchcan, Powertrax LSD, RRW RR7-H, 305/70r17 Toyo AT3s
    I agree with the above statements. Here’s a free bump in case anyone else has some additional insights.

Toe404[OP] likes this.
  5. May 11, 2022 at 1:54 PM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD OFFROAD
    Coach Builder 1 inch lift strut spacers Coach Builder 1 inch shackles TRD Sway Bar Diode Dynamics SS
    Personally I would go with the 2 (1.25 inch lift) shackles. I only have a 1 inch lift and I highly disliked the sag so much that I installed the Coachbuilder 1 inch shackles to go back to factory rake. Not a fan of leveling the 2.5 gen in all honesty.

The few times I loaded the bed with an ATV, firewood, or mulch it would sag the rear below the front. No deal for me…. Extremely happy with my current setup (equal lift front & rear).

Toe404[OP] likes this.
  6. May 11, 2022 at 4:10 PM
    Booney

Booney New Member

Member:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    Vehicle:
    Smoked Mesquite 2021 1794 Off Road TRD
    I have zero offset wheels. I went as high as I could go (3 inches) on the front coil-overs. I also got fender flares because the tires stick out so much because of the zero offset wheels. I went with Coachbuilder shackles that gave me 1 3/4 lift in the back. My truck is perfectly level until I put some substantial weight in it and then droops in the back a little bit. Here is my build page.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/booney-build.90689/

Toe404[QUOTED][OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top