1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Original owner of 2006 Tundra

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TRUBGR, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Oct 19, 2021 at 5:54 AM
    TRUBGR

TRUBGR [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey all...I'm Richard from the coast of Maine.

We bought our Tundra new from the dealer in 2006 and have been absolutely happy with it. The only bad experience we had is that we got one of the Natural White paint jobs that didn't have any clear coat.

Didn't know what it was for the longest time when we started to see circles of oxidation in spots about 3 months after we bought it. Toyota always took care of it but wouldn't give us an explanation of the cause.

I have always taken it to the dealer for oil and filter changes every 5K. We have done the necessary maintenance at the dealer like timing belt/water pump, coolant fluid flush, transmission fluid flush, brakes, rear shocks...etc.

We had purchased the 6 year/100K extended warranty so after it ran out they didn't take care of the oxidation happening anymore. I finally took it to a detailer and he made her shine like new. Within 6 months she was oxidized all over again. I took it back and he made her shine once more but told me that he was just taking paint off...that there was no clear coat.

So a quick Google search found that I wasn't the only one having this problem and that the Natural White was the worst color to have because of no clear coat. I went back to Toyota and confronted them about this because they had to know it existed and they refused to do anything about it.

Anyway...I just had the truck repainted at my expense and it definitely has a clear coat on it now.

So, to make a longer story short, I need help with a rear shock problem (I think). I started to notice a clunking a couple of months ago, when turning left especially, coming from the right rear. I looked at the shocks and noticed they were looking very old. Checked my records and they had been on for nearly 100K. They were Bilstein replaced by the dealer.

So, I decided to replace them myself and got some lifetime Monroes. When I put them on I noticed that the hole in the mount on the truck for the top shock stud was much larger in diameter than the stud.

It looked to me that there should be a steel bushing or something in there to take up the slop but there was none in with the shocks and I don't remember ones being there with the old shocks. The clunk is still there and I have checked everything underneath. The leaf springs and mounts, exhaust and hangers, axle/wheel bearing play, brake drums, bed bend by cab, spare wheel mount...everything.

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a sleeve or bushing in the top mount and if not, explain to me why the mount hole diameter is larger than the stud? I know the rubber bushings have "nubs" on them that supposedly fit into the mount hole but I don't see how those flimsy rubber bushings can stop lateral movement when cornering.

I don't know where to look next...anyone had the same problem?

Glad to be a new member of this community!!

2. Oct 19, 2021 at 6:01 AM
    WhyW8

WhyW8 “It’s ALWAYS Loaded”

Member:
    First Name:
    HB
    Sunny AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White SR5 CM
    Level Kit, DiamonBack Tonneau, Step Boards, Alpine Amp, Cerwin Vega powered Sub
    Welcome from AZ -- I can't help you with your shock issue but If anyone has experienced the same problem I'm sure it will be someone on this Forum

3. Oct 19, 2021 at 6:03 AM
    TRUBGR

TRUBGR [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks, my friend!

4. Oct 19, 2021 at 7:06 AM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    Welcome from LA (Lower Alabama)! Pics might help people to get to the root of the issue more quickly.

5. Oct 19, 2021 at 8:27 AM
    TRUBGR

TRUBGR [OP] New Member

Member:
    Yeah, they probably would but I didn't take any when the shock was out plus, I'm tech challenged, Lol. I'm 69 and none of this stuff we have today was even around when I grew up. The very first computer didn't come on the scene until I was in my 30's and nobody thought they would amount to much. When the smart phones hit...it was too late for me.

I’m guessing the great people in this forum will be able to visualize what I’m talking about from my description. If not, then I’ll figure something out for pics.

Nice to meet you, my friend.

6. Oct 19, 2021 at 8:50 AM
    rock climber

rock climber New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2001 Sequoia 4X4, 2000 AC 4X4
    This is probably not what you want to hear, but those Monroe's for our trucks are just awful. Fitment, ride etc. Grab a set of Bilstein 4600's for the rear and you'll be much happier and they come with all of the hardware so you won't have to wonder. On the plus side since you just replaced them that awful top bolt on the shocks should be much easier to get off.

7. Oct 21, 2021 at 5:14 AM
    TRUBGR

TRUBGR [OP] New Member

Member:
    You're probably right and I know deep down I should have gone with the Bilstein. Nobody around here stocks them and Toyota Stealership was just an outrageous price and they are a 3 hour round trip away. I live in the boonies.

8. Oct 21, 2021 at 5:21 AM
    toyofan87

toyofan87 Beer thirty

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Gettysburg, Penna
    Vehicle:
    80- Longbed/87-4Runner/08-Sr5 Tundra
    Toytec 2.0 Aluma 3/1.5 lift with JBA's UCA Falkens AT3 295/70/18
    Congrats and welcome... Nice Rig... Pics?

9. Oct 21, 2021 at 5:32 AM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Welcome from NY.

I wonder if that noise you are hearing is from the shock.

10. Oct 21, 2021 at 6:05 AM
    RitcheyRch

RitcheyRch New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Lowered & Supercharged Crewmax
    TRD Lowered and Supercharged
    Welcome from So Cal

11. Oct 21, 2021 at 10:57 AM
    rock climber

rock climber New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1stgenoffroad has pretty solid pricing and lots of helpful YouTube videos. I've ordered from him a few times and been very happy

https://www.1stgenoffroad.com/#/

12. Oct 22, 2021 at 2:49 AM
    TRUBGR

TRUBGR [OP] New Member

Member:
    Lol, I'm working on that. I'm an older guy who has trouble with smart phones and computers but I will get some up somehow.

13. Oct 22, 2021 at 2:59 AM
    TRUBGR

TRUBGR [OP] New Member

Member:
    That was my thought also. I noticed that the hole in the frame mount is larger than the stud on the top of the shock when I installed them. I just don't think the flimsy rubber bushings can keep the top of the shock centered when there is lateral load on them.

I can't seem to find and metal sleeve or bushing to mate the two. Have any of you guys notice the difference in the hole diameter and the stud diameter when you changed out shocks?

I'm wondering if my previous Bilstein's that were installed by the dealer somehow became loose and wore the top frame mount hole enough to enlarge it.

What do you all think?

14. Oct 27, 2021 at 1:34 PM
    TRUBGR

TRUBGR [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey Rock Climber, I just received my shocks and the hardware kit has 2 large cupped washers, 2 rubber bushings, 1 smaller cupped washer and a nut. Where is that small washer used?

upload_2021-10-27_17-0-5.jpg

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  15. Oct 28, 2021 at 9:36 AM
    rock climber

rock climber New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    I tried to find a good picture online but can't find one, basically it's large washer on the shock, then the bushing, then washer the one that has a little lip on top to hold it in the frame hole. Put the shock through the frame, bushing and the washer on top. Does that make sense?

831Tun likes this.
  16. Oct 28, 2021 at 11:42 AM
    TRUBGR

TRUBGR [OP] New Member

Member:
    It sure does, my friend! That was the only way I could figure it would go but in watching a bunch of videos posted for replacing the rear Bilsteins on an 06 Tundra...no one clearly showed how things went at the top. I just needed confirmation that the extra washer is, in fact, intended to be used in this application and wasn't just part of a "universal" kit that applied to many different applications. Thank you very much.

Products Discussed in

To Top