1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

One TRD Pro, One Guy and One Year...a report out

Discussion in '2.5 Gen TRD Pro (2014-2021)' started by Green Thunder, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Oct 18, 2020 at 4:33 PM
    Green Thunder

Green Thunder [OP] Smooth in the Cruise

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
    I passed one year with the truck last Friday. Finished a 170 mile tow with my trailer for the weekend and took a pic...
    FA365E4A-D658-4E34-9A57-B92F32692AAE.jpg
    I would have driven closer to 16k or 17k miles the past year if not for Covid.

The "Total Average" MPG is for the entire year, including 1,300+ miles towing, countless hours idling while waiting for a kid activity to get done (2-5hrs a week) and a crap ton of 7-8mpg city driving during the Covid months. When I've hand-calculated the mileage compared to the computer, it's always been 0.5mpg high, so call it an even 13mpg for the year. The annual MPG is about what I expected. I do a trip on a regular basis that's just over 100 miles from my home. It feels like my truck had a "break-in" break through about 3k miles ago and I'm within 5% of what my F150 got on the same trip. That's pretty impressive given the F150 had shutters in the grill and some plastic trim in the bumper that routed air around the front tires to create a bubble. If I keep it at 60mph, my display will show about 18-19mpg over a period of time. Very nice and very competitive IMO.

There are a ton of quirks with this truck. I could list a dozen things under a WTF Toyota category. Stuff like the lack of transmission cooler, no thought put into the usability of the truck (including ergonomics) and lack of storage. But when I sat back and looked at it all, I realize Toyota is a lot like Apple. They are not innovative, timely or necessarily very competitive with the broader market...and never will be. But their products will work and be reliable. So when it comes to comparing the Tundra against the competition, Toyota has zero fucks to give. Once I realized that, all the small things stopped annoying me.

Overall, I still really love the truck. Of the 10+ vehicles I've bought new during my lifetime, I've never had one go an entire year with zero issues. That completely blows my mind. Then again, I've never owned a Toyota.

Ironically, one thing I love about this truck can be credited to Toyota's lack of innovation. It still feels like a truck. My 2016 F150 was super refined (especially after I put on a set of Bilstein shocks) and it drove like a car. The ride of the Tundra is very good, but you can still feel the truck lurking under the leather and Fox shocks. I like that...

That is all...until next year

TreeCat, Fiesta346, tttrdpro and 17 others like this.
  2. Oct 18, 2020 at 7:06 PM
    TundraMcGov.

TundraMcGov. Your friend. Your foe. Not yo Ho.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jofus
    Burpinham, Babalama
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White DC 4X4 Tundra
    That ^^^ has always worked for me.

3. Oct 19, 2020 at 5:46 AM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    My 2012 F-150 Lariat was very comfortable and rode like a car too, main reason I bought it was how “smooth” it was. But it had so many little issues over the 120k miles I owned it I just had to dump it.

Indeed I liked the simplicity of the Tundra and the fact that I wanted a truck to be like a truck. I’ve had zero issues with my Tundra in the 18 months I’ve owned it which is rare (only other vehicle that was problem free was a 2001 Honda Civic)

jewsNbrews and Green Thunder[OP] like this.
  4. Oct 19, 2020 at 6:30 AM
    No Limit

No Limit New Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD PRO 4” Readylift
    I am coming up to 1 year ownership as well on Nov 15 th, I have 85,000 km or 53,000 miles on it now and about 40% of the miles are on rough logging and oil field roads. I have had no issues either. I idle a lot, basically my truck runs all day. I would say that when driving my gas mileage is close to what I got with my 6.2L Raptors but idling the 5.7L is not as good on fuel...TRD PRO is a smoother ride than any of my last 3 Raptors.

5. Oct 19, 2020 at 9:28 AM
    Wrongside

Wrongside New Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra
    :eek2:

itsmerh85 and TaquitoBandito like this.
  6. Oct 19, 2020 at 10:02 AM
    Kung

Kung [Insert Custom Title Here]

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray Spiffy N-Fab steps Spiffy Katzkin seats
    That pretty much explains my position 100%. I realized a long time ago that there was/is a VAST difference between how the big 3 market trucks, and how Toyota markets trucks.

The Big 3: "Here you go, a truck that can tow more than anyone else, and it has features, AND it rides nice, AND it gets great mileage, etc. Reliability? Uh....hey look here at this auto-parking feature!"
    Toyota: "....you said you wanted a reliable truck. Here you go."

Take towing, for example. On paper, my 2020 Tundra can tow a few hundred more # (10,100) than my 2013 F150 (9300). I know tons of people who have F150's that can tow more than mine can, according to their ratings.

With that said, I ALSO know tons of people who have towed what their ratings say they can tow....and then traded in their trucks for something bigger because "it didn't feel stable." I've towed anything from a 16' trailer loaded down to a small (18') RV to test, and while I could tell it was there, it felt one HELL of a lot more stable than my previous truck did. I have no doubt that my truck *can* tow more (not legally, of course) but Toyota doesn't play those games.

Mileage is the same. If I drive it like I stole it, I get 13MPG. If I loaf along on the highway, I get 17MPG or so. That is EXACTLY what Toyota says it will do - actually it's a bit better. (13 city/17 hwy/14 combined) Meanwhile, Ford says my 2013 was supposed to get 15 city/21 hwy/17 combined. The *ONLY* time I ever got close to that was about the first 5K miles - and it had 3.31 gears and I was TRYING to get best mileage, and I got 18.5. After about 20K miles, it stayed locked at 16, and that was it.

I don't need the most features or the fastest truck, etc. I want one that has what I need (and some stuff that I want), gets decent mileage, and has plenty of power, AND is reliable. Toyota checks all the boxes.

7. Oct 19, 2020 at 3:29 PM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    ^^This was my exact mindset when I bought my Tundra.

Green Thunder[OP] likes this.
  8. Nov 6, 2020 at 5:22 PM
    blanchard7684

blanchard7684 New Member

Member:
    I like the zero fucks given attitude of the trd pro tundra.

alot...

that said it checks all of my boxes without costing north of 70k:

good approach angle... yeah departure sucks but it’s a truck
    Good shock and spring package from factory
    4x4 with proven trail tech ( like a trac)
    Good to excellent power
    Sustained reputation for reliability
    Low gear ratio
    As much old school tech as I could get:
    Hydraulic power steering, mechanical fan, port fuel injection
    Durable leather seats
    Enough room for family
    Tow more than 5k

Thing is just awesome. It does everything very well .

9. Nov 6, 2020 at 7:11 PM
    Green Thunder

Green Thunder [OP] Smooth in the Cruise

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
    I’m a recovering Ford addict. The Raptor was my dream truck for years. Now I pass one on the road and wonder if its heading to the dealership for service.

Cpl_Punishment and RainMan_PNW like this.
  10. Nov 6, 2020 at 7:38 PM
    blanchard7684

blanchard7684 New Member

Member:
    Same here actually.

11. Dec 2, 2020 at 5:20 AM
    Toptalktoyota

Toptalktoyota New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 DC SX
    I have a friend who bought a new F-150. Within a year he was having to add a quart of oil before he could make it to an oil change. Ford dealer told him that was within tolerances. He endured that truck for years. He now owns a 2018 Tundra SC long bed that he bought new. He works the heck out of it and tows a lot. He absolutely loves it. Zero issues, of course.

Products Discussed in

To Top