1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OK BBQ gurus, I need your input please..

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by RLHULK, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Oct 20, 2019 at 9:17 AM
    RLHULK

RLHULK [OP] Too many gamma rays in all that BBQ smoke.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Oklahoma, Toyota seat trim durability tester
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    Still rolling stock baby....
    So with the rising costs of brisket, at times $60 for a packer, flats are at times $40 I have been looking for a alternative and believe I have found one.

Chuck roast.

I have been researching and more and more videos are coming online with folks smoking chuck roasts in place of brisket.

My questions are:

Have any of you smoked a chuck roast, if so what size, how long was the cook etc, you know details LOL..

How was it?

Advice on your successes and failures.

It looks pretty good from the videos I have seen but all of them also look to be on the dry side.

Howbbqright, Malcom Reed has a chili video up where he uses smoked chuck roast.

Black Wolf likes this.
  2. Oct 20, 2019 at 9:40 AM
    JMB

JMB Not new, just a little old.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tundra DC
    5100s all around, 295-70-18 Defenders, 1.25 Spidertrax spacers, BD reverse lights, de-badged, interior LEDs, footwell LEDs, reverse LEDs, ARE cap, front receiver hitch for cooler holder, cooler holder/rod rack, backup camera, Kenwood HU, Westin nerf bars, Husky floor liners, folding rear seats, remote battery posts, plastidip grill chrome, Powder coat bumpers.
    Black Wolf likes this.
  3. Oct 20, 2019 at 10:00 AM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    I don't do briskets any more, too expensive, difficult to source where I am.

Pulled beef beef using a Costco Rump Roast is our favorite . I actually find it tastes better too and isn't as finiky. The family agrees as well. You can't beat it for the price. Lots of fat and pretty difficult to screw up if you keep an eye on the temps. Plan sides that can sit or can be done quick. It could be done it 8hrs or 12hrs. We serve it when the meat is ready as that is the star of the show. Side salad, chips, fresh bread, cold veggies and dip, coleslaw, canned beans etc.

Done on a Vision Kamado overnight using lump and wood chunks. I don't have my BBQ notes on me, but this was likely an 6lb one. And yes, I keep notes on my smokes. They are in a Field Notes, seen in one of the pics in a little leather case. Otherwise I loose track of how long to smoke and where I made mistakes.

Here is a pic of a previous smoked beef, 10.5hrs @ 225-250. Wrapped at 170* with some beef broth and back on the grill until it hit 205-210*. Served for lunch on fresh baked buns topped with cheese, onion, pickle and drippings. Our best beef yet, juicy, flavorful, fell apart.

I'll take pulled beef over pulled pork or brisket any day.

Screenshot_20191020-115758.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    aperezsh, Pudge, Outbound and 3 others like this.
  4. Oct 20, 2019 at 10:45 AM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    Some great looking meat! :drool:

5. Oct 25, 2019 at 8:08 AM
    RVO27

RVO27 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Crewmax Limited
    I think I've found my next smoke! Thanks for the idea!

6. Oct 25, 2019 at 8:21 AM
    TOYOTRD8

TOYOTRD8 New Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2017 TUNDRA SR5 TRD OFF-ROAD
    TRD Pro Grilled, Color match bumper end caps, OEM LED headlights, MX4 Bed cover, GoRhino RB20,TRS LED Fog Lights, Camburg leveling kits, SR8 wheels, STT Pro tires 295/70/18 and heritage decal.
    :hungry:
    That looks sooo good! Making my mouth watery right now. :hungry:

7. Oct 25, 2019 at 8:22 AM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    Keep in mind, we pull it not slice it

If I was going for sliced beef, I'd probably stop it at 180-185* or so and test it for consistency and fat content breakdown, slice across grain! You'll have some fat that doesn't break down, but it will be easy to remove it when slicing.

Whatever you do, make sure you have something to catch the drippings when you prep it and use them to rehydrate the meat you are prepping. If you are shredding or plating it, pour some drippings back on the meat ...mmmmmmm, fat drippings

Pudge and RLHULK[OP] like this.
  8. Oct 25, 2019 at 8:34 AM
    RLHULK

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    Thanks I am off next week and will be smoking some meat, pork butt is on for sure as I love that pulled piggie...

TXMiamiFan likes this.
  9. Oct 25, 2019 at 8:51 AM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    I have smoked chuck to make burnt ends. Come out pretty darn good if you ask me. I have not done a pulled chuck to see how it is, might have to give that a try. I do agree that the cost for a full packer is ridiculous. I guess we can thank Traeger for making wanna be's like me into BBQ'ers and increasing the cost of meat . . . sorry.

I am smoking a 4 lb flat tomorrow that I was able to get for $22 from a local farmers market. Wish me luck.

PS - also smoking a roast to make drunken brisket on Sunday. Don't tell anyone.

RLHULK[OP] likes this.
  10. Oct 25, 2019 at 8:53 AM
    RLHULK

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    LOL its all good, man I love them burnt ends...

TXMiamiFan[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Oct 25, 2019 at 8:54 AM
    TXMiamiFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    On a side note, how much of a PITA is it to use the egg for small cooks/smokes? Does it suck to have to restart charcoal vs just turning on the pellet smoker? Considering a change to an egg but afraid that I will regret the ease of just flicking a switch on the electric one vs starting charcoal for a small burn.

RLHULK[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  12. Oct 25, 2019 at 9:05 AM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    I use a Vision Kamado for small smokes all the time. I fill the kettle with lump and rarely have to refill on a 8-12 hr smoke. If it runs out, it is not hard to get a new chimney ready and refill and drop it on the coals, after removing and wrapping the meat. If I am going to smoke a butt, I'll make sure to smoke two. Eat one, break down and freeze the other, to make it worth my while.

For me, I like the human error factor and being able to master a grill or smoker vs setting it at 225* and coming back in 12 hrs and having it done. I consider it an art form of sorts.

TXMiamiFan[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Oct 25, 2019 at 9:06 AM
    RLHULK

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    It’s not as easy as flipping a switch but if you preset everything in advance then it’s just a matter of lighting the fire and setting the temp.
    If I am planning a cook then a few days ahead of time I prep the egg for what type of cooking I am doing, smoking or grilling.
    There’s a little more mess to deal with from the ash but I use a shop vac and the kick ash basket to keep things clean so it’s not too bad.
    I think the egg style coolers hold temps better and longer and of course don’t use power to run.
    It does take a few cooks to get the hang of setting the temps but once you get a feel for it you know where to set the vents.

14. Oct 25, 2019 at 9:08 AM
    Grumpy Uncle

Grumpy Uncle Pushing string down the hall SSEM #10

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black CM Tundra TRD Off Road
    4:88s and Auburn LSD, dealership faux Pro, 35" BFGs on XD wheels, OME Lift with Dakars
    I have done it a few times with pretty good results. I and my family thinks they were really good. What I learned the first time was tie with some string because it will fall apart because of the fat that is in it. I usually look for the package of 2 that way 5 lbs or so each.

For the life of me I can't remember how long I cooked it or the temp. I have that info back at the house.

I also did a Dr. Pepper marinade on one that was very tasty.

15. Oct 25, 2019 at 9:17 AM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    I checked my BBQ notes and updated my post above. We look for 6lb roasts, I originally thought they were bigger but maybe I was thinking of a 2 pk. The ones we buy from Costco are Bottom Blade Pot Roast. Ceramic Kamado, lump and chunks, 225-250* overnight, with waterpan, indirect, foil with beef broth at 170* (after approx 8hrs), back on smoker until hits 205-210* (approx 10.5hrs total time), place in cooler for 1-2 hrs until ready to serve

Time to pick up a couple roasts and have some smoked meat in the freezer for winter.

16. Oct 25, 2019 at 9:43 AM
    TXMiamiFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    Cool. Just the thought of lighting everything for a 1 hr smoke seems like a PITA. Or in your case, light the thing up to 800* for a 5 min pizza cook. Seems like a lot of work; worth it, but a lot for a small cook time. That's the only thing stopping me from pursuing any further on an egg.

RLHULK[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  17. Oct 25, 2019 at 10:37 AM
    RLHULK

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    I get it, we have some small 2 burner weber gas grills on clearance, down to $270, thinking about picking one up for fast cooks like burgers or dogs..

18. Oct 25, 2019 at 10:41 AM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    The only 1hr smokes we do are wings or spatchcock chickens at higher temps than low & slow. For these, 1 chimney or lump is more than enough for the entire cook. Light the chimney, walk away, come back when roaring, dump, wait to smolder down a bit. We will do burgers on the Kamado when we grind our own meat and want an elevated, charcoal cooked burger.

The prep is minimal and super easy. As mentioned above, they hold their heat very well and for hours and hours. I find Kamados super efficient and you can use whatever brand lump you want and not tied to a power cable or buying brand specific pellets.

Everything is better over charcoal....burgers, wings, pizza, steak, fried rice.

Products Discussed in

To Top