1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil filter housing

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by 17_TUNDRA_GUY, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Feb 24, 2021 at 6:43 AM
    17_TUNDRA_GUY

17_TUNDRA_GUY [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2017 Orange 5.7L Tundra 4x4 SR5 CM
    Icon stage 5 lift, 33s, Icon billet aluminum upper control arms, Air bags, Black Rhino Rims, LEDs
    Alright tundra crew I have a question that hasn't been answered here and it's not what size tires I can fit on stock rims . So yesterday I changed my own oil in my 17 tundra 5.7 and I was checking out my oil filter housing and it looks like the previous owner had either overtightened the filter cap and had to chisel it off, or some quick lube tech scratched the hell out of the bottom of the oil filter housing on the engine block. To be absolutely clear here, it is a decent chunk of metal taken off of the metal housing not the plastic cap that holds the filter in it. I know I should've taken a pic but I'm not draining 8 qts of oil I just put in fresh for a pic it will have to come later. It has not shown any signs of leaking at all before I took it off and hasn't yet leaked out. My question finally is, how hard is it to change said housing if it does turn into a problem? It's stuffed in the block and has steering and coolant lines all over it so it looks like a heck of a job. Saw on YouTube someone stuffing the 5.7 in a Tacoma, he had the motor pulled and on the taco frame and it looked very full of things in the way. Is this something I should look into fixing or since it's not leaking just saw screw it and turn up the radio

2. Feb 24, 2021 at 6:47 AM
    BrakeDust

BrakeDust New Member

Member:
    Hill Country, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 CM SR5 4x4 Magnetic
    Can you post some pics?

Sounds like it might be ok as long as the area where the big o-ring mates with the housing is still intact. And of course you still need enough threads to hold the cap in place.
    (Most people upgrade to the venza metal cap BTW)

3. Feb 24, 2021 at 6:56 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    The filter adapter?

https://www.sparksparts.com/oem-parts/toyota-oil-filter-housing-156700s010?c=Zz1lbmdpbmUmcz1lbmdpbmUtcGFydHMmbD0xNyZuPUFzc2VtYmxpZXMgUGFnZSZhPXRveW90YSZvPXR1bmRyYSZ5PTIwMTcmdD1zcjUmZT01LTdsLXY4LWdhcw==

Without seeing the damage, there's no way anyone can say. But, turning up the radio doesn't turn out well with an oil leak.

4. Feb 24, 2021 at 9:22 AM
    17_TUNDRA_GUY

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    Icon stage 5 lift, 33s, Icon billet aluminum upper control arms, Air bags, Black Rhino Rims, LEDs
    I've seen the metal cap, I have no leak as of now. The scrape is where the o ring would make contact with the filter housing between the cap. Its on a flat surface and you can see it without completely removing the oil filter cap.

5. Feb 24, 2021 at 9:25 AM
    17_TUNDRA_GUY

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    As I said it's not leaking currently, and yes the sparks referenced part is exactly what I was talking about. I don't drive to far or often so it will probably be at least 6 months before I change the oil again.

6. Feb 24, 2021 at 10:26 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    The large o-ring of the filter cap seals on the BORE of the filter adapter, and not on the flat. The flat is where the filter cap, metal or plastic, bottoms out. It is a common misconception that the o-ring seals on the flat (face seal), and probably the reason oil-change monkeys tighten the filter cap bazillions with an impact wrench.

Tundra oil changers also often misposition the o-ring on the filter cap thinking that the o-ring seals on the flat. This typically leads to an immediate leak, so keep an eye on yours until your next change. The beauty of using Toyota filters is that they have a diagram right on the box showing right and wrong ways to install the o-ring on the filter cap.

Without seeing the scratch, I cautiously say if the scratch is limited to the flat, and not down the bore, you won't need to change the filter adapter. A leak past the filter cap o-ring due to a scratch on the bore will be slow drip, allowing you time to find the problem and fix it by replacing the adapter.

7. Feb 24, 2021 at 10:39 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    Here is a handy diagram I keep for those that need to understand how the oil filter cap seals. In all my discussion above, oil filter adapter = oil filter bracket (Toyota) = oil filter housing (Toyota):

Oil Filter Cap.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  8. Feb 24, 2021 at 12:14 PM
    17_TUNDRA_GUY

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    Wow that is great advise, I appreciate it. It is not in the bore of the cap it is the flat surface that I had thought sealed the cap. Your information has eased my fears immensely thank you

JohnLakeman likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top