1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil Filter Housing O-Ring Sealing

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by DaleTundra, May 17, 2022.

1. May 17, 2022 at 6:51 PM
    DaleTundra

DaleTundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 5.7 Liter
    The first time I changed my 2007 5.7 Liter I spilled a few quarts on the floor. I figured out that I have to put Permatex on the O ring and the threads of the canister.

I don't bother to take out the housing bottom plug - just take the whole housing out. I took a angle grinder to the skid plate so that I don't have to remove it every time I change the oil.

Is my method unusual? Do most people get away with just changing the O-ring that comes with the new filter? This is the first time I have spilled more than a few drops in 40 years of doing my own oil changes.

2. May 17, 2022 at 7:22 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    You should not have to put Permatex on the oring. I'm wondering if your housing is cracked. I would replace it with the aluminum one.

3. May 17, 2022 at 7:37 PM
    TILLY

TILLY Gently Used Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport D/C
    Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup: Not sure I completely understand your question, why did you think you needed to apply Permatex after removing the canister, and losing some oil?

DaleTundra[OP] likes this.
  4. May 17, 2022 at 7:58 PM
    DaleTundra

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 5.7 Liter
    Well, it was on the order of three quarts because by the time I got down under the truck, saw it was leaking and got back up to turn off the motor (twice...) it was leaking profusely. I wasn't sure that I had the O-ring in the right place the first time so I went back to a few You Tube videos and verified that I had put the O-ring where it should go, but still had the leak. I did actually buy a new canister also and tried a third time but still had the leak. So I figured maybe there was some sort of tolerance problem between the motor and the canister. It seems like where the O ring mates against the canister is a vulnerable area for leaks so the fourth time I added the Permatex to the groove in the canister and the outside of the O ring to see if it made a difference and indeed that worked.

5. May 17, 2022 at 8:08 PM
    TILLY

TILLY Gently Used Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport D/C
    Ah, now I understand. I thought you were referring to losing oil when removing the canister during an oil change, not when the truck was actually running. Since you said that the problem still exists even after putting in a new canister, I would definitely check the mating surfaces between the block and canister.

6. May 17, 2022 at 8:16 PM
    DaleTundra

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 5.7 Liter
    Thanks for your help! The next time I do a change I'll look a little more closely at the mating surface between the canister and the motor block.

TILLY likes this.
  7. May 17, 2022 at 8:19 PM
    TILLY

TILLY Gently Used Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport D/C
    Anytime. :) Let us know how you make out.

8. May 17, 2022 at 8:32 PM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    How hard did the housing screw back into the engine? It should have some resistance once the o-ring makes contact with the aluminum oil cooler on the engine. I would check to make sure the aluminum isn't corroded or damaged. I doubt it's a tolerance issue as it's not like the plastic shrunk or the aluminum expanded after it left the factory. You could try to polish the aluminum. Often the o-ring doesn't need changing but I do simply because I only use Toyota filters and they supply a new one. I believe the oil cooler can be removed from the block but I've never looked to see how easy it would be. If needed you might be able to get a different compound (I assume the factory o-ring is viton), a slightly larger size, or even a different shape (like an X-ring or quad seal) to get it to seal. I assume rtv each time would most likely be easier unless you go to quikie lube and they don't know about the leaking problem.

9. May 18, 2022 at 6:38 AM
    COTundie

COTundie Whoa Black Betty

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Vehicle:
    Black 5.7 DC TRD 4x4
    Pretty things
    Very curious.

So we are to assume the housing did not leak prior to the oil change? Maybe there is something that remains in the filter housing like an old o-ring, or debris which doesn't allow the cap to close all the way?

Sure you have the right filter? Center support tube still correctly attached to the filter cap? I am happy to measure one of my spare filters if you like.

Unless there were some event during your oil change, I can't imagine the inside surface of the housing was damaged or gauged to where the o-ring doesn't seal.

Also, I would not continue to use rtv in this application. Any excess could end up circulating thru your engine and clog an oil passage or pick-up tube (especially if there is something amiss with the filter).

DaleTundra[OP] and Tundra234 like this.
  10. May 18, 2022 at 10:04 AM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    My guess is the previous owner had issues and used rtv to help seal it. If they used black rtv it could easily have been missed by the OP.

11. May 18, 2022 at 10:22 AM
    Totmacher

Totmacher New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    mesquite Tundra or blue 4Runner
    Some
    Hopefully it is something simple like an old oring or something blocking the can from seating correctly.

12. May 18, 2022 at 9:28 PM
    DaleTundra

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 5.7 Liter
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! I only put Permatex on the outside of the canister. Anything on the inside would be a definite no-no.

After I bought the truck I knew that the oil had been changed recently so I ran it to about 3000 miles without any leaks at all before I changed it myself. The filter I put on it matched the one that came off exactly. I was a little surprised that the o-ring didn't go between a flange on the canister and the block. Anyway... the next time I change, which should be just after Memorial Day weekend, I'll let you all know what I find when I inspect where the canister meets the block a little closer.

13. May 19, 2022 at 10:47 PM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Take a picture or two. Hopefully if you can't figure it out someone here can.

Products Discussed in

To Top