1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How bad is traffic in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Mid West U.S.' started by trucksareforgirls2, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Mar 1, 2021 at 11:27 AM
    trucksareforgirls2

trucksareforgirls2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Off-Road
    Hi all,

I am vaguely thinking about moving to northern ohio within the next year or two, and I was wondering how bad the traffic getting into Akron or Cleveland is from the Steetsboro, OH area is? Or in general.

I am thinking about moving for better job opportunities in nursing (the market is just saturated here), lower cost of living, and hopefully less traffic.

Thanks, any tips are helpful. My brother and SIL live in Streetsboro, that's why I named that as my starting point.

-T

KY_Rob likes this.
  2. Mar 1, 2021 at 11:48 AM
    Medinasmoke

Medinasmoke New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    hugh
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 black crew max
    Shouldn’t be to bad, streetsboro is at the end 480 highway But if your going to be working at downtown hospital cc, university no highway going to them , bitch getting too. Going to Akron you’ll live and die by route 8. Overall traffic is good except during inclement weather. The city of Hudson is nearby and superior in every way except traffic. Which horrible in and out of

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    YeeYeeTundra likes this.
  3. Mar 1, 2021 at 12:08 PM
    stuckinohio

stuckinohio MGM Crue

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    oHIo
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Crewmax
    Traffic has changed alot since covid.
    If you have some general locations on where you plan on working, I would enter them in Waze, then see how the arrival times change throughout the day and during the week.
    The delta between travel at say midnight vs rush hour should indicate how much traffic causes delays.
    I agree with above , Route 8 is the artery to Akron

Cincinnati is by far the worst city in Ohio to commute through.

KY_Rob likes this.
  4. Mar 1, 2021 at 12:25 PM
    trucksareforgirls2

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    So, precovid were we talking hours of commuting into Cleveland?

-T

5. Mar 2, 2021 at 8:26 AM
    trucksareforgirls2

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the information, I am just trying to figure out if it's worth it. The only children's hospital in my area is a 2.5-3 hour commute each way with the traffic issues, and even using public transportation.

Is the commute into Cleveland that horrible, pre-Covid I mean.

And what is this RITA tax my brother talks about, is that a lot of money?

-T

6. Mar 2, 2021 at 9:40 AM
    Medinasmoke

Medinasmoke New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    hugh
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 black crew max
    40 min to Cleveland. Rita is. Regional income tax authority. They collect income for local cities. Move to a township no local income tax

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  7. Mar 2, 2021 at 9:59 AM
    bwh

bwh New Member

Member:

Columbus around any of the perpetual construction/270 interchanges would like to have a word.

Akron/Youngstown seems to have an unnatural number of random and sudden temporary highway routes during their construction sprint right now. Really have to watch the signage.

8. Mar 2, 2021 at 10:55 AM
    stuckinohio

stuckinohio MGM Crue

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    oHIo
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Crewmax
    I live in Columbus now and have no problems with traffic around the loop. Sure a little congestion here and there, but there are always alternative routes to take.
    Granted, i don't come from Canal Winchester or up 23 every morning into the city.

Anyways OP
    Your commute to Akron Children's or Cleveland should easily be under 1 hr.

9. Mar 2, 2021 at 4:11 PM
    trucksareforgirls2

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    Ok thanks, stuck in Ohio... Your screen name makes me wonder if it's a good state to live in though. :eek:

Thanks everyone, my dream job is to do pediatric critical care transport, but as stated around here the job market is just to saturated and the traffic is unreal!

-T

10. Mar 2, 2021 at 5:17 PM
    YeeYeeTundra

YeeYeeTundra Earl Dibbles III incarnate

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 Quicksand CrewMax Limited TRD
    Extang tri-fold tonneau cover, havoc hs2 steps, A1 tow mirrors, TRD RSB, weathertech mats, 24' Puma BH travel trailer, Yeti 75, LineX
    480 west of 271 is tragic. I'd never live on west side due to that specifically. Look east or south. Columbus traffic is worse that Cleveland's. 480 (morning/evening) is like the north's taste of Cbus 71 during morning rush hour.

11. Mar 2, 2021 at 5:38 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Sorry to :threadjacked:

I'm bringing my daughter to Cleveland in May, she has a internship at the Cleveland Clinic. I'm looking for information about hotels, areas to stay away from....if any and places to eat. I may have 1 day to explore if there is anything good.
    Thanks in advance

12. Mar 2, 2021 at 5:46 PM
    KY_Rob

KY_Rob New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black Tundra Limited TRDOR
    I’m in the process of moving to the same area you’re talking about after living away for 15 years or so. Traffic is nowhere near as bad as it was in the 90’s & early 2000’s. Sure, COVID has some impact, but it’s not exactly an area people are flocking to (in fact, it’s been declining in population for years).

Just this evening, I took 480 across from 422/Solon over to Westlake to the Carhartt store. Took ~30 mins...at 5:00pm. 20 yrs ago, that was a 2hr drive.

13. Mar 2, 2021 at 6:02 PM
    szabo101

szabo101 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ED
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Platinum 4WD
    I lived in Cleveland from from '97 to "04 and while the traffic patterns have likely changed, there are two things that probably haven't.

1. There is little traffic at the time medical people go to work. I used to drive from Fairview Park (west side) out to Mayfield Heights taking either I-480 or I-90 in about 30 mintues between 6am and 6:30am. Drive home after 4pm was another story.

2. The snow belt. Love the east side, but no way I would live east or southeast of the city, you will buried in Lake effect snow a lot. Westlake had no RITA tax on the west side and great access to I-90.

YeeYeeTundra likes this.
  14. Mar 2, 2021 at 6:16 PM
    Medinasmoke

Medinasmoke New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    hugh
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 black crew max
    Stay at downtown hotel. And take the medical rapid line to. Cc. Be there in 5min. Spend the day downtown or take the trolly out to cc with your daughter. our art district is close by and little Italy around the corner.

15. Mar 2, 2021 at 7:01 PM
    YeeYeeTundra

YeeYeeTundra Earl Dibbles III incarnate

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 Quicksand CrewMax Limited TRD
    Extang tri-fold tonneau cover, havoc hs2 steps, A1 tow mirrors, TRD RSB, weathertech mats, 24' Puma BH travel trailer, Yeti 75, LineX
    Westlake is nice. Not as much wild west as the others I'll agree. I'd much rather live east though. Occasionally you need 4x4, but snow is better than 480 and the trip through the cities which I must cross to get to the west side. I probably also have a lot less "big city love" than most to be fair.

@Jim LE 1301 I haven't been "out" for much more than work and essentials this past year, but if I was going to hit downtown I would go to Mabel's. Great BBQ (for up north) and bourbon with a good atmosphere (can't go wrong with their briskets and beans). @Medinasmoke also pointed out little italy, which has good grub.

Be safe, as the area around CC main leaves a lot to be desired. I wouldn't go randomly sight seeing in that area.

Jim LE 1301 likes this.
  16. Mar 2, 2021 at 7:14 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Thanks
    I'll be safe, I'll have my friend on my hip.:thumbsup:

Prostar 190 likes this.
  17. Mar 2, 2021 at 7:31 PM
    Medinasmoke

Medinasmoke New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    hugh
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 black crew max
    COVID killed mabel’s

18. Mar 2, 2021 at 8:05 PM
    MICKs18yota

MICKs18yota New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR
    Streetsboro is a nice been there a few times if your looking at nursing jobs might check children’s hospital in Columbus or some of the other area hospitals one thing about central Ohio they always seem to need nurses and are always expanding the hospitals around the Columbus area it also would not be too far from your family in Streetsboro. Not as much snow down here either.

19. Mar 3, 2021 at 7:33 AM
    trucksareforgirls2

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:

Thank you Micks, I unfortunately would want to stay closer to family since I won't know anyone else. One thing I have noticed is in the towns near Streetsboro, like every single family house that is newer is stuck in a HOA. It's nuts... I guess I am used to my area where very few single family homes are in associations. I wouldn't buy a house for at least a year anyone, if I decided to stay put.

I want a safe town, with a low crime rate obviously. I would rent to start out...

-T

20. Mar 3, 2021 at 7:35 AM
    trucksareforgirls2

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:

hmm, so it has the potential to get worse in the future? Is it because of all the car plants closing?? Why are people leaving do you think?

-T

21. Mar 3, 2021 at 7:45 AM
    trucksareforgirls2

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:

Was is the "Medical rapid line" is that a train that takes you right to the hospital without stopping???

-T

22. Mar 3, 2021 at 8:04 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
  23. Mar 3, 2021 at 8:14 AM
    mech_engineer09

mech_engineer09 Tundra Enthusiast

Member:
    Ohio/Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Platinum
    Ceramic Pro, XPEL Ultimate Plus, Woolwax Undercoating, Diamondback HD, TRD Air Intake, TRD Skid Plate, TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar
    Don't want to come off as completely negative, but ohio really sucks. Maybe for nursing the job market is good, but you can find a nursing job anywhere. Drivers are all border line retarded. Don't know what yield signs are, drive next to someone on the highway both doing the speedlimit and same speed, speed up when you try to pass them as if they came out of some kind of stupor and realize they're driving the speed limit, dont know that if their lane is ending that they are the ones that have to MERGE into the other lane, exits on the left lane of highway so you have assholes that drive the speedlimit and under for 5 miles before their exit, the list goes on and on.

Job market seems pretty miserable for engineering, at least in my area, but i'm lucky I got a good job at one of the best places in the area. I'm by youngstown/boardman, it's just that no one wants to move to northeast ohio. Shitty weather 6 or more months out of the year, the only benefit is the cost of living, but that is also reflected in your salary. The traffic on 224 in boardman is absolutely horrendous all the time. I'm from southwest of pittsburgh and overall the people here all seem unfriendly and miserable, where i grew up if you went walking on a trail or bike ride, people wave and say hi and seem cheerful, people here put their heads down and go out of their way to not have any engagement with another person. I was kind of shocked when I first noticed this and thought oh this cant be everyone. WRONG.

I've been here since I graduated college (so about 7 years now) and found a job while my then gf finished college. The only reason we are even still here is because my gf's parents are getting old and she wants to be here to take care of them, otherwise we would be out of this shithole state and move somewhere that's actually nice like north carolina or tennessee.

24. Mar 3, 2021 at 8:37 AM
    trucksareforgirls2

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:

:rofl: Most honest reply so far!! I guess that's why there are nursing jobs there, then... I am gonna stay put for now and give it a couple years perhaps and maybe I will get my dream job, I am not hopeful, but you never know. My plan wasn't to permanently move there persay, but more to go get some experience and then move some place I want to live, probably back here in the northeast. I am heading to Ohio to visit my brother probably this month or next and willl figure it out. Honestly in the past I have had zero desire to live in Ohio, but wanted to try it out anyway since they are there and there are more job options. Thank you for putting things in perspective.

-T

25. Mar 3, 2021 at 8:53 AM
    stuckinohio

stuckinohio MGM Crue

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    oHIo
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Crewmax
    That's why i left Youngstown. Plenty of great engineering jobs in Ohio, just not there. It's a depressed area with most of the population retired. the area has never recovered from Lordstown / steel mill decline. Akron /Canton has a lot of great jobs with engineering in heavy industry. It would be worth a longer commute. I wouldn't judge all of Ohio based on Youngstown. That's like judging Michigan based off the bad parts of Detroit. Columbus is #22 in the US of the fastest growing cities and the housing market reflects that. My wife is a nurse and had no problem finding jobs. She shadowed at Akron Children's and works at nationwide children's now. The healthcare industry is big in Ohio with alot of great facilities to choose from.

Contrary to the name, I've traveled from Tenn to Michigan and everywhere in-between to visit OEM supplier facilities. Use to spend close to 300 days a year on the road, don't miss it.

mech_engineer09 and Medinasmoke like this.
  26. Mar 3, 2021 at 9:06 AM
    Medinasmoke

Medinasmoke New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    hugh
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 black crew max
    Haha no. Designated bus only lane for bus like trolley that runs between the downtown and near east side. Going to. CSU, Cleveland clinc ,university hospital, museums and cwru. Bottom line it’s bus route that quick and efficient

27. Mar 3, 2021 at 10:10 AM
    szabo101

szabo101 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ED
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Platinum 4WD
    Anyone that can't find friendly people in Ohio...that is a "You" problem, not an OH problem.

28. Mar 3, 2021 at 10:14 AM
    P-Factor

P-Factor New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Double Cab
    TRD Sway Bar, TRD Exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake
  29. Mar 3, 2021 at 1:05 PM
    mech_engineer09

Member:
    Ohio/Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Platinum
    Ceramic Pro, XPEL Ultimate Plus, Woolwax Undercoating, Diamondback HD, TRD Air Intake, TRD Skid Plate, TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar
    Nah, I don't think so there champ. I've been to a lot of different places in the US and this area is by far filled with the most unfriendly/miserable people I've met, which I think just speaks about the area itself.

30. Mar 3, 2021 at 1:09 PM
    mech_engineer09

Member:
    Ohio/Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Platinum
    If you want to temporarily move somewhere to get experience, why not go somewhere where the weather is nice, people are nice and somewhere you can experience something different than the northeast? Be a travel nurse and experience all the US has to offer and maybe make a permanent living decision based on those experiences

To Top