1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Microphone Not Working

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by zasdds, May 11, 2023.

1. May 11, 2023 at 5:01 AM
    zasdds

zasdds [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Platinum Crewmax
    Hello, did a search but could not find any help.

I have a 2021 Platinum with 22k miles with JBL system. I have since added anytime front/rear back-up camera, and JTTs add-on amp, replacement dash/door speakers, and replacement sub. Everything worked fine for several months.

Suddenly, my OEM microphone (located near driver's side visor) has started malfunctioning. Whether on Apple Carplay or Bluetooth, the receiver hears an extremely distorted voice (or nothing at all) on phone calls. The hands-free audio commands are also not working.

I have gone into Service Mode on the headunit and the microphone does not pick up any sound unless I am screaming directly into it. I have tried to record this with the function on service mode, but hear no playback.

I have tried disconnecting the battery as others have suggested with no success. My SOS button/DCM appears to be functioning normally because there are normal indicator lights. The system says the headunit software is the latest version after checking for OTA updates. Perhaps Toyota has a different update that can be applied manually?

Reaching out to you guys to see if there is anything else I can try before going to the dealership. Should technically be covered under warranty, but I know they will try to charge me something based on the many aftermarket modifications I have made from the truck (I know, I know Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act...but I have clearly made changes to the A/V system.)

Thanks for your time, and really love this forum!

2. Jul 20, 2023 at 1:26 PM
    zasdds

zasdds [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Platinum Crewmax
    Update: Toyota ordered a new mic under warranty. Will see if this fixes the issue after install.

3. Aug 18, 2023 at 4:01 AM
    zasdds

zasdds [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Platinum Crewmax
    Update: The new microphone did not fix the issue, so back to Toyota I went. The tech determined that the grounding wire from my ABC harness was causing interference with the OEM Microphone. Once the ground was removed, the mic worked. The original ground location was on a bolt on the right side of the head unit, so I extended/routed the wire across to the front passenger side over the glove box to find a good ground spot. Now, everything is working!

Just updating the thread in case anyone else runs into a similar issue.

Products Discussed in

To Top