1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Noise from dash

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2014+)' started by Dannyo, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Apr 16, 2019 at 12:11 AM
    Dannyo

Dannyo [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have a 2018 cm and I’m getting a creaking noise from the dash area when driving. it sounds like it’s coming from the steering column where it goes through the firewall. any ideas on what it could be

2. Apr 16, 2019 at 12:37 AM
    Tundyfundy

Tundyfundy Petunia The Tundra, and her sidekick Colbie

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Grey DC SR5 4x4 2016
    Bilstein 6112 coilover (1.9") w/ Powder Coated Springs and Spring Perch (TRD Red), JBA Upper Control Arms, Bilstein 5160's w/Billet Aluminium Brackets, +2 Coachbuilder Shackles, Diff Drop Kit, Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Brakeline Extensions, ABS Extension, Poly Bushings for Leafs, Coachbuilder Shims (2 Each Side), Coachbuilder Bumpstop Extensions, Painted Red Tow-hooks, BF Goodrich KO2's 275/70/r18,BORA wheel spacers 1.25",PNP Engineering Type 4 Rock Sliders, Bullydog GT Tuner, TRD Intake, TRD Dual Exhaust (with Modified Exhaust Hangers for Levelling Tail Pipe), TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Front Sway Bar, TRD Skid Plate with ReadyLift Spacer Kit, TRD Brake Pads, TRD Oil Cap (US), TRD Radiator Cap, TRD Oil Filter, Wheel Locks, Spare Tire Lock, TRD Wheel Caps, Bed Rail System, Husky Liners X-Act (Front and Full Coverage Rear and Front Weather Beater Trans Hump), Blind Spot Mirrors, Interior LED Bulbs, LED Brake Light Bulbs, LED Rear Turns, LED Reverse, LED Plate Lights, LED Cargo Lights, LED Third Brake Lights, WheelSkins Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover(EuroPerf), Clazzio Genuine Leather Seat Covers(BLK/DRK GRYwith custom stitching and embroidered headrests), Clazzio Seat Heaters, Entune Startup Screen MOD, Entune Off Screen Mod, Tinted Windows with Windshield Visor, AJT Key Fob.
    I had a dash noise and it was kinda like a creaking/ rattling noise. I basically bought trim tools and started pulling apart the dash ( after 5 times at the dealer, they installed sound foam etc.. never got rid of the noise.) once I got back there I saw a wire loom rattling against the air ducts. Also the part of the dash that is against the windshield has play in it and can rattle, I stuffed some memory foam under it to tighten it up. Guys also find noise from the plastic cover over the rear view mirror, as well as the ECM. It goes through the firewall and can get loose. Once you get the radio out and glove box out you can see all in there. The whole dash basically comes apart fast and easy. Drive around and listen. Have someone drive so you can investigate. There are tons of threads on this. Good luck!!

OR18TRD likes this.
  3. Apr 16, 2019 at 12:38 AM
    OR18TRD

OR18TRD Pândâ Crëw

Member:
    First Name:
    Pândâ
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2018 Panda Crewmax
    Suspension: front- Bilsein 6112 set at 1.9”; Rear- bilstein 5160 with maxtrac 1” shackel. Wheels: Method MR308 roost wheels 18x9” +18 offset. Tires: 275/70/18 Goodyear wrangler DuraTrac’s Removed front mudflaps and moved front wheel well liner forward. Bakflip MX4 Tonneau cover Line-x premium bed liner aFe CAI Rear differential breather moved behind taillight Debadged Windows tinted 20% ESP locking long box rear seat storage OEM all weather mats 6 3/4” antenna Coverking leather rear seat cover
    Maybe but I have a popping noise coming from my head liner between the door and the sun visor. That’s all I can hear when driving right now. Drives me crazy. Ive tried to get it to stop but it’s something inside the liner. I’d have to take the door seal off and pull the liner down add some adhesive or something and hope that fixes it. I’ve got an appointment to have some recalls and my 10k mile service completed on Thursday. I might see what my service guy says before I try to fix it myself.
    I feel like the more this stuff is documented maybe Toyota will step up and make some much needed changes.
    My 2017 Tacoma had lots of rattles and interior vibrations. I was able to fix most of them with felt tape. Turning my stereo up fixed the rest. Problem is sometimes I like to drive without music and sit inside my head. Can’t do that well with ticks and pops and squeaks and rattles all around you.
    :annoyed:

Hope you figure out where its coming from. Stuff like that drives me crazy. A9903DAA-035E-412E-B5F0-D4A1C6926F92.jpg

Tundyfundy likes this.
  4. Apr 16, 2019 at 12:42 AM
    Tundyfundy

Tundyfundy Petunia The Tundra, and her sidekick Colbie

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Grey DC SR5 4x4 2016
    Bilstein 6112 coilover (1.9") w/ Powder Coated Springs and Spring Perch (TRD Red), JBA Upper Control Arms, Bilstein 5160's w/Billet Aluminium Brackets, +2 Coachbuilder Shackles, Diff Drop Kit, Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Brakeline Extensions, ABS Extension, Poly Bushings for Leafs, Coachbuilder Shims (2 Each Side), Coachbuilder Bumpstop Extensions, Painted Red Tow-hooks, BF Goodrich KO2's 275/70/r18,BORA wheel spacers 1.25",PNP Engineering Type 4 Rock Sliders, Bullydog GT Tuner, TRD Intake, TRD Dual Exhaust (with Modified Exhaust Hangers for Levelling Tail Pipe), TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Front Sway Bar, TRD Skid Plate with ReadyLift Spacer Kit, TRD Brake Pads, TRD Oil Cap (US), TRD Radiator Cap, TRD Oil Filter, Wheel Locks, Spare Tire Lock, TRD Wheel Caps, Bed Rail System, Husky Liners X-Act (Front and Full Coverage Rear and Front Weather Beater Trans Hump), Blind Spot Mirrors, Interior LED Bulbs, LED Brake Light Bulbs, LED Rear Turns, LED Reverse, LED Plate Lights, LED Cargo Lights, LED Third Brake Lights, WheelSkins Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover(EuroPerf), Clazzio Genuine Leather Seat Covers(BLK/DRK GRYwith custom stitching and embroidered headrests), Clazzio Seat Heaters, Entune Startup Screen MOD, Entune Off Screen Mod, Tinted Windows with Windshield Visor, AJT Key Fob.
    I saw a thread on this. A guy had the same noise and figured out it was the headliner sticking and unsticking from the adhesive. Forgot what he did but it’s a start...

OR18TRD likes this.
  5. Apr 16, 2019 at 12:46 AM
    OR18TRD

OR18TRD Pândâ Crëw

Member:
    First Name:
    Pândâ
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2018 Panda Crewmax
    Suspension: front- Bilsein 6112 set at 1.9”; Rear- bilstein 5160 with maxtrac 1” shackel. Wheels: Method MR308 roost wheels 18x9” +18 offset. Tires: 275/70/18 Goodyear wrangler DuraTrac’s Removed front mudflaps and moved front wheel well liner forward. Bakflip MX4 Tonneau cover Line-x premium bed liner aFe CAI Rear differential breather moved behind taillight Debadged Windows tinted 20% ESP locking long box rear seat storage OEM all weather mats 6 3/4” antenna Coverking leather rear seat cover
    Thanks.
    That’s what it sounds like. I can push on it and it will “stick” or stop popping for a minute but oregon roads suck. Winter studded tires rip the roads up. To many bumps and pot holes it starts popping again. If I constantly hold it down it’s fine.

Products Discussed in

To Top