1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No Start/Stalling Issue

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Cemented-, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Nov 25, 2020 at 8:14 PM
    Cemented-

Cemented- [OP] New Member

Member:
    I've had my 2020 Tundra for a little over a year now and have been having an issue for about 4-5 months now.
    It will sometimes just keep cranking and then eventually stop, or sometimes it will start then stall or want to stall then fix itself. I have to keep trying to start it each time it doesn't until eventually it does. This happens randomly and I don't do anything different the days it starts and the days it doesn't want to. Once its started "successfully" it runs completely fine with no issues at all.
    I had thought that maybe it was my pedal commander causing some sort or electrical issue because it once gave my truck the p2121 code and I have since unplugged it and haven't used it since. The truck was fine for 2 weeks after I unplugged it but now its back so that wasn't it.
    I brought this to a dealer that had my truck for 3 days just to come back and tell me theres nothing wrong with it, like thats all I got from them. But theres clearly an issue here, so I'm coming here for some help. If anyone has an ideas what it could be I can bring it to another dealer and mention such things to them.
    I'm also posting up some videos so you can understand what I'm talking about. I get anxiety when I get into my truck wondering if its going to start today or should I start recording lol.

https://streamable.com/gnigin
    https://streamable.com/9blnau
    https://streamable.com/y1lpwf
    https://streamable.com/97ry34
    https://streamable.com/ot54y0

2. Nov 25, 2020 at 8:56 PM
    14CRWMX

14CRWMX New Member

Member:
    Tampa Bay
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    I would bring my truck to another dealer, if i were you. That's a brand new truck, you shouldn't have to deal with stuff like this. Also show them videos as well.

3. Nov 25, 2020 at 9:10 PM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky DC SR5 5.7L 4x4 TSS Package
    TRD Rear Anti-sway bar, TRD Pro skid plate, Bedrug bed mat, 17" Icon Rebounds, 315/70/17 BFG AT/K02, Bilstein 6112s front (for now), Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoirs rear, Diamondback SE, Dirtydeeds Industries 8" stainless BAMuffler, aFe dry air filter, TRD air intake accelerator
    I’m wondering if it’s the fuel pump and, if so, whether it might fall under the fuel pump recall?

4. Nov 26, 2020 at 5:13 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    That's what I was thinking too.

5. Nov 26, 2020 at 7:41 AM
    Cemented-

Member:
    I'm not sure, I forgot the mention one friend had told me it might be bad fuel, so I changed gas stations a few times and the grade of the gas and no help.
    I also looked up my vehicle for recalls recently and the only one I see is is for the blinkers not being grounded properly

6. Nov 26, 2020 at 9:45 AM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky DC SR5 5.7L 4x4 TSS Package
    TRD Rear Anti-sway bar, TRD Pro skid plate, Bedrug bed mat, 17" Icon Rebounds, 315/70/17 BFG AT/K02, Bilstein 6112s front (for now), Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoirs rear, Diamondback SE, Dirtydeeds Industries 8" stainless BAMuffler, aFe dry air filter, TRD air intake accelerator
    I thought I read somewhere that the fuel pump recall was extended to the 2020 models. Could be wrong about that, though. Either way, it’s almost brand new and should be under warranty. Take it to another dealer or threaten to lawyer up on your state’s Lemon Laws.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  7. Nov 26, 2020 at 10:46 AM
    PhearCVBz

PhearCVBz New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black Tundra DC, 2024 Black Tundra CrewMax
    Bring it to the dealer (same or different dealer) and make sure they write something up and get a copy of it. Hint that you know the details of how the lemon laws work, and they should stop dicking you around.

** And do yourself a favor and read up on the lemon laws too. I don't know if every state is the same, but I know a lot are a 3 strike and done sort of thing. Once the dealer has looked at it 3 times it needs to be fully resolved. It wouldnt be a fun process to go through, but at least it would be an option, and it should motivate the dealer to get it taken care of before it comes to that.

CavalryCrew602 likes this.
  8. Nov 28, 2020 at 8:07 PM
    Cemented-

Member:
    Had to have the truck towed last night to the dealer because I couldn't get it started. They called me today and said they have no clue whats wrong with it, the valet had trouble getting it to start but the technician took it and said it was fine. I sent them the videos and asked if it could be the fuel pump, they told me they haven't even done any fuel pumps on any Tundras. Advisor told me he has to call Toyota on Monday and open a case with them to see how they should proceed. This is kind of ridiculous this truck is basically new, I've had it for a year it only has 7k miles on it. They also told me they have no service loaners for me either so come Monday they better have some answers and get me a damn vehicle to drive.

9. Nov 28, 2020 at 8:14 PM
    PhearCVBz

PhearCVBz New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black Tundra DC, 2024 Black Tundra CrewMax
    Sorry man...that really sucks. Like I said above, make sure they document everything and give you copies...it would be very good to be up on the lemon laws. Going that route would be a last resort, but mentioning it should really motivate the dealer because they want to go through it even less.

Speaking from an unfortunate experience with my GF's brand new Grand Cherokee this fall. Her problem appeared to have been fixed on its 3rd trip back to the dealer, but we did get the dealer to throw in a free extended warranty due to the hassle.

Good luck!

10. Dec 2, 2020 at 1:11 PM
    Cemented-

Member:
    Just got my truck back today. They were monitoring the fuel pressures and ended up replacing the fuel pump. Said pressures were normal after keeping it overnight and assured me that 99% the issue is resolved.
    They also told me my truck was the 2nd in the country to experience this issue. I felt so honored.
    So except recalls!

equin likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top