1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No start, no gear indicator

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by adam36, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Mar 31, 2021 at 7:54 PM
    adam36

adam36 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tundra limited
    Hi everyone, when I backed my truck out of the driveway yesterday and then put it in drive I had some resistance on the shifter and after I got it into drive the indicator showed it was still in park. I stopped and ran the shifter through the gears(with some resistance) and the indicator still says I'm in park. After I shut it off and tried to start it again I got nothing. After several tries of moving the shifter thinking maybe the neutral safety was at fault still nothing. I now have no start, no shift indicator, no reverse lights and no cruise control. Ive been hot starting it through the start relay for the time being. Any thoughts?

2. Mar 31, 2021 at 8:14 PM
    lamboboy732

lamboboy732 New Member

Member:
    Shift cable or shift lever thing on the trans broke or became out of position. Car won't start without being in park or neutral and It might not know where it is now. Likely also the range switch is confused or broken if the cable or lever is out of wack. I'd check the cable and any connections to the shift linkage and also the range switch. I think you are on the correct path in your diagnosis.

3. Mar 31, 2021 at 8:44 PM
    adam36

adam36 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tundra limited
    Thanks lamboy732 for the reply! Where would I find the range sensor on this truck? Also if a cable is broken wouldn't I not be able to shift gears at all?

4. Mar 31, 2021 at 9:33 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    I’d be looking at the “range sensor” on the side of the transmission first, since you can still shift, albeit stiffly.

5. Apr 1, 2021 at 4:53 AM
    lamboboy732

lamboboy732 New Member

Member:
    I believe it's on the right side of the trans directly across from the shift linkage. It has been a while since I've been under there though. Yes if the cable broke completely you wouldn't be able to shift at all but I have seen shift cable brackets and ends fail(not on the tundra specifically) which leaves you able to shift some by over extending the lever but not easily or well. It should be fairly evident under there if something is physically broken.

6. Apr 1, 2021 at 5:16 AM
    Tundra2

Tundra2 Zoinked

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tundra V8 SR5 '03 Corolla Virus
    I once replaced a shift cable on a 99 chevy Silverado from the column through the floor to the transmission.

It had left me stranded 2 hours away from the house the night before at 2am. I hung out in cheddars dining room after speaking with the night shift supervisor.

My tow truck was there at 8 am. Home at 10. Quick run to local autobone for a new cable at 10:30, and back to shifting at 3pm.

I could shift it further down, but I couldn't shift it back up from low. Once the truck was off, the safety measures that won't let you start it again without P or N took over.

It was a real bummer. I ended up taking out the seat, and being upside down underneath the dash with my feet hanging out the window of the open drivers side door.

Products Discussed in

To Top