1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No check engine light

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Boatbuilder, May 13, 2017.

1. May 13, 2017 at 10:33 AM
    Boatbuilder

Boatbuilder [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2000 tundra sr5 4x4
    Hello.. I'm new here.. I bought a 2000 tundra sr5 6 months ago.. about 3 months ago I wasn't sure about when the timing belt was changed.. so I changed it myself along with the water pump... I am a certified marine mechanic since 86.. just not familiar with tundras very much.. about 3 weeks ago I was driving pretty hard and when I floored it.. it spit and popped and coasted to a stop... I had somebody hook 3 different obd 2 readers to it with no codes... No check engine light... Eventually a code came up from another scanner (4th scanner) and i can't recall the code specifically... But it was the cam position sensor.. it was replaced .. it ran about 15 minutes.. died... And no codes again.. no check engine light... . So I was told that sometimes the crank position sensor needs changing if I changed the cam position sensor... But no codes would come up.. I bought new crankshaft position sensor .. it cranked and ran .. ... Although it had a hesitation to it . I bought new plugs.. the proper iradium platinum plugs and replaced... .still run bad.. hesitation got worse.. I cleaned my throttle plate and it was Terri le... So I also cleaned my intake.. I took it off.. and split it in half and cleaned it .. reassembled everything .. and now my hesitation has got worse... The trouble I'm having is no codes or checkengine light... Could I have a barrel..is it common on the 2000 tundra... . I have replaced all my coil packs. Plugs. Cam. Sensor .. crank sensor... Cleaned throttle ate and intake... Cleaned injectors. Replaced air filter. Fuel filter. Pcv valve .. and changed plugs again... Now it seems I can't get cylinder 2 .4,and 6 to fire .. even after swapping coil packs from other cylinders... Although number 8 fires.. any ideas ??? No codes is got me wanting to burn it... And I love the truck.. any help would be appreciated .. thanks

2. May 13, 2017 at 11:03 AM
    Joeshaker

Joeshaker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Bilstein 6112/5160 trd sway bar and ride rite bags. Black and burnt orange wet okole seat covers.
    Drop in a 5.7! Sorry couldn't help it. Go to the ask the Toyota mechanic thread and ask @LOTSOFTOYS, Jace might be able to help you figure it out. Good luck.

3. May 13, 2017 at 11:11 AM
    tomsinamerica

tomsinamerica New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    White 2016 Tundra DC ltd
    You sure you got the timing marks lined up on both cams and crank? It's easy to get them off by one tooth or more

Did you replace the tensioner?

4. May 13, 2017 at 11:14 AM
    tomsinamerica

tomsinamerica New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    White 2016 Tundra DC ltd
    Further... Have you taken it apart and verified that your valve timing didn't jump when you floored it?

Misfires on specific cylinders that's not AFR or Spark related makes me think cam timing

kelly32327 likes this.
  5. May 13, 2017 at 11:30 AM
    kelly32327

kelly32327 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    wakulla springs fl
    Vehicle:
    2001 tundra trd
    wheeles & tires
    i agree with tom sounds like a cam is off

6. May 13, 2017 at 11:56 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    Imo.

You need a scan tool that can show you live data coming off the ECM.

GNTundra likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top