1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Yokohama A/T G015 Flat Spotting

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Tosa, May 24, 2019.

1. May 24, 2019 at 7:16 AM
    Tosa

Tosa [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Platinum Crewmax
    Hi
    I recently bought Yokohama A/T G015 tires P 275/55/R20 installed on factory rims for my 2014 platinum tundra. I am experiencing steering wheel shaking from 55 to 65 mph. The shaking will always go away with 5 minutes or so of driving on the highway...some days it’s light shaking and goes away quicker. I’ve had alignment checked and multiple road force balancing, all is good. If I run front tires at 40psi instead of Toyota’s recommend 30, the shake is barely felt. Anyone else have this issue with the factory tire size on the 20” rim?

2. May 24, 2019 at 8:15 AM
    Tosa

Tosa [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Platinum Crewmax
    I am still within the Yokohama 30 day warranty period and can just return them... however the original factory installed Bridgestone Dueller Alenza tires would do this although much less shaking then the yokos and vehicle had to be parked for more then just an overnight period. I was wondering with the relatively lower profile stock 55 series tire if this was a common problem?

3. May 24, 2019 at 8:19 AM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    What rating? What kind of temperature are you at where you live?

I run the same tires but different size in e eating. They need way more than 30 psi. I've been at 40 psi with no real trouble but I see the edges are slightly wearing, so I'm going to chalk test and probably start at 45 psi.

4. May 24, 2019 at 8:25 AM
    Newm

Newm New Member

Member:
    KC
    I would say it's fairly normal in my experiance. I live half a mile from the highway and when I get on there and up to speed first thing in the morning I have a 50/50 shot of the first few miles feeling like a tire out of balance. Some days it's a pretty good shake and others it's not there...I have no idea what changes it or what effects it but pretty much every vehicle I have had does it in some manner. As long as it smooths out and your tires are balanced with the truck having a good alignment I wouldn't worry about it. Have you had a road force balance of your tires? Something to try if not as it could help some.

5. May 24, 2019 at 8:56 AM
    Tosa

Tosa [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Platinum Crewmax
    I am in Wisconsin and temps have been in 40s in the morning.

Newm, I am as well within .5 mile of the highway, I suspected this condition maybe experienced by others as the Bridgestone did it slightly, not as much as the Yokohama’s. My prior vehicles have never had this issue, I suspect the lower profile tire and weight of the tundra contribute to it. Tires have all been road forced balanced twice and all is good. I can’t imagine the shaking even though it subsides over time is good on the steering assembly.

6. May 24, 2019 at 9:01 AM
    Newm

Newm New Member

Member:
    KC
    My last set of Ridge Grapplers (295/70R18's) were the worst I have had in this regard. I understand what you are saying about the steering assembly but honestly man...trucks in general are pretty tuff and I don't think it's going to hurt anything. Guys beat the crap out of these things and they keep kicking!

7. May 24, 2019 at 9:06 AM
    djhase

djhase New Member

Member:
    I would not want to put up with a tire that flat spotted. I like the ride and sound of the stock Michelin's on the Tundra but would like a more aggressive tread pattern. The LTX's look too street.

I use Goodyear Wrangler AT's on my other truck. Its on its 4th set and consistently got 60k out of them. Rotate regularly and they stay pretty quiet for the life. Did have one of the 16 blow out for no reason after less than 10k on it. The tire literally blew up. There was no sidewall left on the outside.

8. May 24, 2019 at 9:20 AM
    Tosa

Tosa [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Platinum Crewmax
    I would rather not have to put up with the wheel shake either and am in a position where I can return the tires...but it’s possible another tire may have the same issue as Newm experienced it across brands and my last bridestones did this mildly as well.

9. May 24, 2019 at 9:38 AM
    Newm

Newm New Member

Member:
    KC
    That's a tough call @Tosa , but if it really bothers you I'd swap them out for something else. You might always wonder if not.

10. May 24, 2019 at 9:52 AM
    APatt

APatt New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement SR5 CM 4x4
    Diamondback Bed Cover, Voodoo Steel Max Modular Bed Rack, iKamper Skycamp
    I just bought my 2019 a few weeks ago (only had 85 miles on odometer) and I've been noticing the same vibration. I too live .5 mile from highway, but I've noticed it every time no matter how far or long it takes me to get on highway. The steering wheel starts to shake pretty good around 55-65 mph. I have the stock tires and rims that came on the truck, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac, 275/55R20 (picture below). I'm not sure what to do other than take it back to dealership and ask them to force balance and check alignment, but I'm confident that won't make a difference. It does smooth out after getting above that 65 mph mark, so I'm thinking its just the tread and tire trying to find that sweet spot on the road.

upload_2019-5-24_11-44-14.jpg

11. May 25, 2019 at 3:21 PM
    MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 1794 Crew
    None
    Search for my post here. It took an engineer to stop my shaking steering wheel even after replacing my Bridgestones for Michelin Defenders. Threatened a buy-back and they sent an engineer to fix. He road-forced balanced and aligned it and no more shimmy in my steering wheel. Before he touched it there were a lot of weights on my wheels. Now there is hardly any.

12. May 25, 2019 at 4:15 PM
    womprat57

womprat57 BABE the Big Blue Ox

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DC 4x4
    I run these on 2 of our Subaru's, great tire, guessing bad tire.

13. May 26, 2019 at 6:36 PM
    Tosa

Tosa [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Platinum Crewmax
    The tires are smooth and there is no shaking in the wheel after they are run at 55 to 65 for a couple of miles. The shaking only happens after the truck has been parked overnight or longer. I have the front set to 38 psi now and I going to run like this for awhile and see if it makes a difference.

Products Discussed in

To Top