1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Truck Buying Experience

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by moonshineheadache, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Apr 22, 2018 at 8:32 AM
    moonshineheadache

moonshineheadache [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Longmont , CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cavalry Blue CrewMax SR5 OffRoad
    Flux capacitor, Pimp-hand lotion dispenser, air mattress and Unicorn piss flex-fuel converter (it blows rainbows out the back)
    I'm new here so don't flame me too hard, but I have something to throw out to the general population for an opinion.

So what brings me here is the fact I just traded a 2015 Tacoma, because I finally decided a full sized truck wasn't "too big" and I preferred comfort to off road prowess. I loved my Tacoma - Off-Road DCSB, Fully loaded, lifted, 33's, blacked-out, Satoshi grill, lightbars w/custom switches, lots of other stuff, 13K miles. Show me one kid who didn't want Michael J. Fox's truck from Back to the Future.

Less than a week after I traded, I got a text from the new owner who found my info on a service slip in the glove box. They had a couple of questions about some of the mods and in conversation it came up what they paid for my truck and that they were given 25% over book for their trade.

Here's the question: Am I wrong to think a little less of the "no-hassle/no bargaining" dealer for marking up my trade $5K after saying they couldn't even add in a low $ accessory because "there was just 0 room in the price"? I'm not talking about standing on the sidewalk with a sign pissed, but instead I might not refer a friend to them either.

Now I get it, the dealers have to make revenue goals and it's my responsibility to get the price I want for my vehicle, but if it truly is the new car buying experience to be transparent - am I wrong to be a little annoyed?

2. Apr 22, 2018 at 8:40 AM
    Larmand

Larmand SSEM #6

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 SLIGHTLY MODIFIED SR5 TRD CM 4x4-CEMENT
    In all honesty, if you got what you want for it, and paid what you wanted for the new one, everything else is all irrelevant.

Hindsight is 20/20, you can take business to another dealer in the future if you fill wronged. Finding things out after the fact, can always make you change your mind about things.

TheBeast and geno0506 like this.
  3. Apr 22, 2018 at 8:41 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    I think, and I'm not trying to bash you at all, there are better things for you to spend your energy being annoyed with. There is no transparency in car sales, no honesty, and no trust to be placed in dealers or salesman. It's just the way it is,,,, sad.

tye, TheBeast and War Machine like this.
  4. Apr 22, 2018 at 8:42 AM
    AndyCBR

AndyCBR New Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yeah you aren’t going to get good value for your trade from the dealer.

Negotiate the price without a trade. Then when the price is fixed talk about the trade.

You’ll always do better selling it to a private party but there will be some sweat equity involved and dealing with scammers and low ballers.

TheBeast likes this.
  5. Apr 22, 2018 at 8:42 AM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    Hmmn. I think this is the Game. It's nicer not to know you didn't win, but the only "win" you get buying or trading a dealer, is driving off in something you like and can afford.

Private party is the way to go IMO, especially to sell, then take your cash to the dealer.

Human though to feel annoyed.

6. Apr 22, 2018 at 8:44 AM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    You trusted a dealer?????:rofl:

A big part of their business, buy low sell high. I hate to trade in vehicles. If possible, not trading in, selling myself.

Or go armed with a Carmax offer..........

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Marty McFly likes this.
  7. Apr 22, 2018 at 8:50 AM
    moonshineheadache

moonshineheadache [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Longmont , CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cavalry Blue CrewMax SR5 OffRoad
    Flux capacitor, Pimp-hand lotion dispenser, air mattress and Unicorn piss flex-fuel converter (it blows rainbows out the back)
    You’re all right, but the new shiny blue truck had my heart all twitter-patted and not thinking straight. Damn you Toyota!!!!

Trooper2 likes this.
  8. Apr 22, 2018 at 12:10 PM
    TundraRunner481

TundraRunner481 Kinda New Kinda Not

Member:
    First Name:
    SB
    So. Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement SR5 CrewMax
    Maybe they were given more for their trade but hosed on the actual deal. It's part of the game man. I traded the last two 4Runners I had. I don't like dealing with low ballers and people wanting to test drive my car knowing they won't buy it. Next time have a number in mind that you want for your trade. It will be less than private, but it depends on if it is worth it to you. Negotiate the deal on the truck, then work the trade if that's what you want to do. I found out what the dealership sold my previous vehicles for and both the new owners WAY over payed, plus bought all of the dealership extras. Am I mad? No! The next people did not get a good deal, they didn't negotiate, so that is on them.

9. Apr 22, 2018 at 2:33 PM
    Sandbox

Sandbox New Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 White TRD Pro Crewmax
    Yah without knowing the entire deal its hard to tell. Like others said maybe they did get a lot for trade but paid too much for the new truck. It is all a package.... i honestly don't care as long as the bottom line is good. I do try to get more for a trade as it lowers the GST i pay on the new truck. My last trade i pushed hard and got great value IMO.... and it's still on the car lot for not much more then i got for it so that is a win in my book.

In the end... never trust a car dealer. If you are happy with the deal and comfortable with the payments and such thats ultimately all that matters .

10. Apr 22, 2018 at 2:40 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    man I cannot wait for car dealers to be replaced by a phone app so we don't have to go there and deal with slimy salesmen
    something like https://www.carvana.com/

11. Apr 22, 2018 at 2:54 PM
    tye

tye New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tye
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Pro DC
    Diamondback cover, flowmaster exhaust, n-fab sliders
    Any time you are dealing with a purchase that involves sales people you know that they are there to maximize the profit for the seller. Unless you have real knowledge about the process your are likely to get screwed to a certain extent. Best thing you can do if you don't know someone in the business is research and get multiple offers/estimates.

Products Discussed in

To Top